PDA

View Full Version : End of the line?

Plamobot
July 1, 2014, 9:56 PM
Didn't know where else to post this, so please bear with me through this wall of text. ;) (I thought of crossposting this to reddit, but then my brain wised up.)

I've completed about 20 models (mostly 1/144 scale), and I've got about 20 or so in the backlog. I had a realization today: once I'm all done, I won't have any space to store new models. Once I get the top of my bookshelf converted to a display case and buy a Detolf, I'll be tapped out as far as space is concerned, and that includes closet space for boxes and/or undisplayed models. (I store as many models as I can in one box already, and toss the extras.)

My apartment is not large, and it's an old building with heaters across many of the baseboards, with big windows filling one wall per room. So placement of display cases is ridiculously limited; I literally have one place I can put that Detolf! And, if all goes well financially (famous last words!), I may be moving within a few years. It'll likely be to an even smaller place, as good-sized apartments are very expensive around here. (I definitely cannot afford a house or condo.) That means even less space for Gunpla, and everything else for that matter. I've been getting rid of random junk like mad for the past year, but I guess it's not enough.

This came as a shock to me, and was also very depressing. Building Gundam models really helps me relax after a long day at work, and even though I've got that solid backlog with which to pack my shelves, it stinks seeing an end in sight so soon. I really can't think of any viable solution, other than winding down and giving up on Gunpla once my backlog is done.

The good news is that it'll take me about a year or so to get through that backlog. So I've got plenty of time to think on this. At least it's a good thing that this is only a first world problem!

What do you guys think?

Kenico
July 1, 2014, 10:13 PM
Have you ever tried doing what i do with the box covers?

I cut em up and then make them into Posters...i get two cool things in one package. A Model Kit and a Poster lol

As for shelf space and what not. ever tried finding a designated space in your dresser and whatnot? lol

Squee
July 1, 2014, 10:29 PM
Toss the boxes. Put any built kits in either tupperware containers, or ziplock bags. If you buy a large plastic storage container, you could put in a ton of kits in there in ziplocks, then store it in your closet.

Really look at your built kits and toss/sell any that you really don't want/need.

Since you plan to move eventually, maybe just make sure you can put up shelves in your new apartment. Or get rid of the deltolfs and buy a bigger single case that has bigger shelf space/depth.

Zaku
July 1, 2014, 10:53 PM
Thats sad to hear you might be giving up the hobby.

Garret Masterson
July 2, 2014, 12:26 AM
I've been thinking about the same scenario for quite some time now in case somewhere in the future I've run out of space out of my home as well.

One solution I've been thinking about is giving my old works as birthday gifts or christmas presents to my friends and relatives since the process of building and painting is what really makes me happy. That way when you visit their house you still get to see your kits :D

Dlinker
July 2, 2014, 1:39 AM
Squee's suggestion is very good and practical, though it may not suit you if you prefer to keep all of the kits currently in your possession. Not a big issue overall if you have enough space to at least have containers where you can put older kits into, thus freeing up space on your shelves. The most important thing is that something will have to be sacrificed, be it older kits or the opportunity to display them all at once.

I had nearly the same predicament two years ago after my surge of Transformers toys got to the point where I couldn't display them anywhere. My solution was to box up everything but the ones I like the most, then stick those boxes in the top shelf of my closet, just enough space for said boxes. All extra stuff goes downstairs in the garage. I'm planning to do the same thing for my kits.

Zaku
July 2, 2014, 2:59 AM
I just kind of phase out all my old kits. Like my Zaku 1.0s now that i have 2.0s the old ones are just spare parts for whatever.

Plamobot
July 2, 2014, 8:58 AM
Thanks for the support and suggestions, guys. I do plan to phase out some older kits, especially the few I used as paint/topcoat tests. Garret, your suggestion of gifting kits is pretty good, too! Hadn't even thought of that!

I'll be playing most of this by ear. I've got a least a year before I have to make solid decisions. I'm also going to see how many kits I can really pack into my shelf once it's ready without it looking crowded and ugly; I just need to buy that blasted plexiglass sheet to keep out the dust. My local hobby shop has some awesome small display boxes, but they're just a tiny bit too narrow for most kits. If a HG kit has any sort of wings or backpack, they don't fit. Something like the classic RX-78 would, though. My MG Wing Zero Custom is currently standing in a large display box one of my friends gave me; I can't display it aloft with wings outstretched, but everyone does that, so I guess I'm a rebel? :)

Technically, I could just start putting random kits around the apartment, but a) I'm anal retentive about dust, and b) that would drive my girlfriend insane. And I wouldn't blame her. ;)

Lacus Prime
July 2, 2014, 10:25 AM
I feel you... I'm roughly in the same situation. I used to collect Transformers (and plan on starting to collect again, guess I never learn :p....) and now most of them are back in their boxes although I really want to display them.
I think if I continue collecting more kits I won't have any more space in the small room I share with my sister (and she's already complaining how there's a lot of boxes lol)
I'm not really sure how I'll deal with it, although I think I'll start by flattening boxes except one, which I'll use to store the parts/accessories I'm not using. Then I'll put the manuals in a clearbook probably.

Plamobot
July 2, 2014, 10:50 AM
I used to collect a lot of TFs in the early 2000s. I sold them all off after a few years; dusting them was a nightmare, and keeping track of the pieces was a pain, too.

Plus, that one time I bumped into the bookcase and all of the gestalts fell off the top kinda soured me.

Squee
July 2, 2014, 1:52 PM
Haha, you want to see bad? Here's like 80% of my transformers...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/Grifith/models/Tformers/b6d046c2.jpg

All of my masterpiece figures and other anniversary figures are in their boxes in a closet. No room :/

Plamobot
July 2, 2014, 2:54 PM
Eesh! I don't want that to happen to my Gunpla. They'd undoubtedly break, and I'd yank my hair out over spending so much time on a model only to break it.

thwalker13
July 2, 2014, 2:55 PM
I see Tarantulas in there.

Plamobot
July 2, 2014, 3:03 PM
If I saw tarantulas among my collection, then they could have it.

Back on topic...based on your feedback, fellas, I'm coming up with some ideas already. :)

thwalker13
July 2, 2014, 3:57 PM
Glad to hear that you're coming up with ideas already. There are always options out there man. Don't give up something that you love doing.

Plamobot
July 2, 2014, 4:00 PM
I'm just hoping for a slowdown at this point.

Setsunason54
July 2, 2014, 4:23 PM
We should all open up a gallery and charge a small admission fee like a museum and showcase all our work. But man I hope you don't give this hobby up. I'm sure there's a way for you to continue.

extend
July 2, 2014, 9:54 PM
I'm just hoping for a slowdown at this point.

That's what I'm going to say. You could just slowdown a bit.

Lacus Prime
July 3, 2014, 12:00 AM
@Squee wow that's a lot!
The only one I have there is Voyager Animated Grimlock.
I could never store my collection like that though. If I still have the box, I insist on placing it there. Those that don't have a box/can't fit in the box for whatever reason get to be displayed.

redslash
July 3, 2014, 3:04 AM
Thanks for the support and suggestions, guys. I do plan to phase out some older kits, especially the few I used as paint/topcoat tests. Garret, your suggestion of gifting kits is pretty good, too! Hadn't even thought of that!

I'll be playing most of this by ear. I've got a least a year before I have to make solid decisions. I'm also going to see how many kits I can really pack into my shelf once it's ready without it looking crowded and ugly; I just need to buy that blasted plexiglass sheet to keep out the dust. My local hobby shop has some awesome small display boxes, but they're just a tiny bit too narrow for most kits. If a HG kit has any sort of wings or backpack, they don't fit. Something like the classic RX-78 would, though. My MG Wing Zero Custom is currently standing in a large display box one of my friends gave me; I can't display it aloft with wings outstretched, but everyone does that, so I guess I'm a rebel? :)

Technically, I could just start putting random kits around the apartment, but a) I'm anal retentive about dust, and b) that would drive my girlfriend insane. And I wouldn't blame her. ;)

if you are going to phase them out, maybe think about donating them to a toys for kids collection or school or something. at least they will have a life beyond you and they will make a few kids happy.

been toying with that idea myself. my collection is also growing a bit to much. and having older models in boxes just seems a shame for some reason

Garret Masterson
July 3, 2014, 4:53 AM
@Plamobot

Glad to help man! If you wanna slow down a bit you can try customizing your kits. Just scribing extra panel lines and adding pla plates will take a month or two before painting your kits. That way you get to polish your modding skills as well :D

@redslash

That's a good idea. I remember back when I was in high school our school library has a permanent display of scale models. I'm not sure if it was made by our principal or was donated by students. That was what inspired me to try scale models when I was still a teenager.

Plamobot
July 3, 2014, 9:00 AM
I do have a few kits in the pipeline that are going to require more work that usual, like spray painting larger sections, more detailing, etc. We'll see how that works out. I made sure to adjust my backlog so that all kits that require any kind of spraypaint got moved up, since I can't work on those in the fall and winter! :)

I can probably keep going at my current pace of a model or two per month until the backlog dries up. Then I'll have no choice but to slow down, but at least my wallet will thank me!

katamuro
July 9, 2014, 2:49 PM
My gunpla has been in storage for 6 months now ever since I moved, and I havent bought any new gunpla for a 11 months. I always order from Japan because its cheaper than anything here but with the new tax on incoming goods and the rising prices of overseas delivery I might have to stop doing that.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok update, I got some shelves and put them on but I underestimated how many I had, so one doesn't fit.

J-muss
July 9, 2014, 5:21 PM
You wouldn't believe how many hg's in ziplock bags can fit in an MG box... that's what I do. My closet used to be completely full of a single kit in it's box then I trashed them and put the kits in bags and then into mg boxes and now it's like 4 boxes.

katamuro
July 9, 2014, 5:33 PM
Yeah unfortunately I don't have that many gunpla, as I said only one doesn't fit, and I don't buy it very often either so they might not increase in number any time soon.

Plamobot
July 9, 2014, 7:47 PM
HGs are easy to store. It's those blasted MGs and other kits with massive wingspans and such *cough*Valvrave*cough* that are a pain to store with damaging them.