PDA

View Full Version : redslash WIP thread

redslash
June 26, 2014, 4:27 AM
Let me join in on the WIP fun:

I'm working on a HG kshatriya atm.
I've got it primed and have put the base coat on. Using mostly the same color scheme as on the box.

here's a preview of some of the parts:

also got my electronic parts in:

The black wire is what i was using until now. The copper is a laquer wire which i'm going to use. i've bought multiple smd leds (the white dots in the black strips in the static bags)
also i have bought some female-usb parts to create a port for my usb power in.

Still thinking on the led scheme.
i want to light the eye, the thrusters on the 4 shoulder armors, some red leds behind the funnel entrances.

Things i'm still thinking about:
I want to create plane wing light like lights on the 4 shoulder armors as well,thinking about laying them out in a triangle.
And maybe some lights in the leg armor and the chest, serving more of a highlight function. Beaming light out from underneat the armor pieces

Zaku
June 26, 2014, 5:32 AM
Oh man this is going to be awesome.

redslash
June 26, 2014, 7:18 AM
Oh man this is going to be awesome.

I hope so,i have a day off soon so i think i might be able to get some led work done then ^^

Setsunason54
June 26, 2014, 6:12 PM
a Kshatriya?! this is going to be epic! And you're adding LEDs? Might I ask where?

redslash
June 27, 2014, 7:42 AM
a Kshatriya?! this is going to be epic! And you're adding LEDs? Might I ask where?

That indeed is a Kshatriya, i got the HG a while ago.
where:

i want to light the eye, the thrusters on the 4 shoulder armors.
I had a idea to light the tunnels behind the funnels but i think i'm going to skip that. don't think it will be visible enough to be worth the effort.
Also i want to make some of the armor 'light from within'

I've started on wiring the leds today:
Blue SMD (kingbright) for the thrusters:
the back wiring:

added the yellow 'wing' lights. One will be at the lower edge shining down. the other two will be opposite eachother on the outside of the wing. or shining through a hole in the armor. Not sure yet

this is the first time i'm using kingbright leds. so far i really like them. They are slightly bigger then the previous ones. But much easier to solder (read: you will ruin less)

some soldering pics:

prepped for soldering:

soldered:

thwalker13
June 27, 2014, 7:47 AM
Wow man, this is shaping up to be one impressive build. The addition of the LEDs will take to a whole new level.

Dlinker
June 27, 2014, 11:22 AM
Those thrusters are looking great. Props for using blue LEDs for them too. So much more appropriate than red, haha.

Zaku
June 27, 2014, 2:54 PM
Bad ass man. Youre really making me want to do more to my Gelgoog. Lol and i agree the blue look damn good.

redslash
June 27, 2014, 4:43 PM
Wow man, this is shaping up to be one impressive build. The addition of the LEDs will take to a whole new level.

Those thrusters are looking great. Props for using blue LEDs for them too. So much more appropriate than red, haha.

Bad ass man. Youre really making me want to do more to my Gelgoog. Lol and i agree the blue look damn good.

Thanks guys! The blue leds are really nice, they are not too bright i guess 100- 50 mcd is a good range to buy your leds in. I usually make sure to have plenty of leds around in various colors gives me much more choice. Also using multiple colors really makes a difference. My unicorn is just red and is rather Meh because of that.

Also I have to say this WIP thread is really nice, it really can motivate you to get through the build ^^.

and zaku you if you want to do more, then just go for it!

Setsunason54
June 27, 2014, 6:17 PM
That looks sick man! Wish I had the experience of doing something like that.

redslash
June 28, 2014, 2:44 AM
That looks sick man! Wish I had the experience of doing something like that.

i didn't have any xp with soldering or creating circuits before i started either. If you think its cool, then just try and build you experience up

Setsunason54
June 28, 2014, 7:50 AM
I just might do that next time. 😄

jayhat100
June 28, 2014, 10:09 PM
I am going to have to learn how to do led's, this thing is going to look sick.

Squee
June 28, 2014, 10:52 PM
Really sweet so far. You ever think about picking up some thinner gauge wire? Like magnet wire? Requires alot less room inside the parts.

redslash
June 30, 2014, 5:31 AM
Really sweet so far. You ever think about picking up some thinner gauge wire? Like magnet wire? Requires alot less room inside the parts.

actually i picked some up, but it breaks really easily (could snap it with my fingers), so i think i won't use that unless i absolutely have to.

Squee
June 30, 2014, 4:20 PM
Really?! I have never had that problem. Got a picture of your roll?

redslash
July 2, 2014, 9:06 AM
Really?! I have never had that problem. Got a picture of your roll?

its the copper roll there:

its the copper wire below the normal plastic isolated wire.
maybe the wire i ordered is just too thin

Squee
July 2, 2014, 7:28 PM
Very weird. I mean i am pretty sure that specific wire is for wrapping and creating an electromagnet. You should try the kind that has enamel on it for shielding. Radio shack sells it, or you can get it online cheaper. You just scrape the edges off to expose the wire. Different colors too to help keep your positive and ground separated.

Zaku
July 2, 2014, 8:34 PM
That enamel coated wire is what im using. Its really thin and nice. And what do you have their thats ESD sensitive?

redslash
July 3, 2014, 6:11 AM
Very weird. I mean i am pretty sure that specific wire is for wrapping and creating an electromagnet. You should try the kind that has enamel on it for shielding. Radio shack sells it, or you can get it online cheaper. You just scrape the edges off to expose the wire. Different colors too to help keep your positive and ground separated.

thats the wire i have. i'll have another look at it. maybe i just handled it to rough.

That enamel coated wire is what im using. Its really thin and nice. And what do you have their thats ESD sensitive?

in that ESD bag i have the chip leds. no idea why they packed em in that.

Zaku
July 3, 2014, 6:55 PM
Oh ok. That is odd. Where do you buy them from?

Squee
July 3, 2014, 8:41 PM
I've gotten leds like that too, especially from china dealers on ebay.

That is weird about the wire, but now that i think about it, i have wire i bought on ebay that i use, it's the same gauge, just not labeled radio shack. I try my best not to buy from that place, they definitely overcharge.

redslash
July 4, 2014, 7:45 AM
Oh ok. That is odd. Where do you buy them from?

I bought mine from conrad.nl big online elec store.

Zaku
July 5, 2014, 6:49 AM
Thanks man.

redslash
August 16, 2014, 4:20 PM
OK i finally have time and restarted the kshatriya project. I've made my decisions in how to place the leds.
I've glued the leds on my first wing in place and I've wired the second wing (takes about 2-3 hours per wing depending on if the chipleds and wires are playing nice :P)

I'm using some hama colored transparant ironing beads to cut up and use as light conductors.

here are some shots of the wing with the leds in their final place (still need to do some modeling work to cover the back up though)

The leds from the outside of the wing:
i'm really liking the way the winglights came out (was a big worry that they would look sucky)

side shot:
bottom and darkshot:

does anybody have a good recommondation for modeling clay/plastic? Games workshop doesn't seem to sell the kneadable greenstuff anymore and my liquid one has dried so i need a new one with which i can cover up the leds and wires on the back of the wing

edit:

also i've started using the magnet wire. Don't know what went wrong the first time i tried it but it works pretty well :)

Currently stripping the laquer by dipping the wire into a hot solder blob, does anybody have a better way? I'm kinda wasting a lot of solder this way

Squee
August 16, 2014, 6:39 PM
Scrape it with your knife, rub it off with sand paper, or use a lighter to burn it off. I still hit it with sandpaper after either the knife or lighter to give it a nice roughed up wire, and it makes sure its all off.

redslash
August 17, 2014, 4:14 AM
Scrape it with your knife, rub it off with sand paper, or use a lighter to burn it off. I still hit it with sandpaper after either the knife or lighter to give it a nice roughed up wire, and it makes sure its all off.

i'll try sandpaper. i've found that scraping really is a pain with that thin a wire.
I'll trying to not use the burning option. i don't like the fumes that come off, they smell a bit to chemical for my tastes(no idea if the fume is bad for you or not). thats why i liked dipping it in solder, no fumes come off that way. the laquer just melts and enters the solder.

Squee
August 17, 2014, 5:37 AM
You know that solder fumes are super toxic right? lol

Shponglefan
August 17, 2014, 9:57 AM
Love the combo of blue and white LEDs on that wing! It's looking very good.

redslash
August 17, 2014, 12:36 PM
You know that solder fumes are super toxic right? lol
I thought that didn't applied to lead free solder.
Maybe i should look into that a bit more. I do keep a draft in my house when i'm working on stuff like this just in case.

Love the combo of blue and white LEDs on that wing! It's looking very good.
thanks! guess the photo's make the yellow leds look more white than yellow.

- - - Updated - - -

I got a lot of work done today. 3 wings sortoff done by now:

getting excited about seeing the whole thing together ^^

Squee
August 17, 2014, 1:11 PM
In non lead solder, its the flux that is toxic. I was thinking about that last night as i inhaled some smoke without realizing it. My fan wasn't turned on like it should be. But yea, most solder flux has carcinogens.

Anyway back on topic; Any plans on lighting the funnels as well? Don't know if you've mentioned that or not.

redslash
August 22, 2014, 7:55 AM
In non lead solder, its the flux that is toxic. I was thinking about that last night as i inhaled some smoke without realizing it. My fan wasn't turned on like it should be. But yea, most solder flux has carcinogens.

Anyway back on topic; Any plans on lighting the funnels as well? Don't know if you've mentioned that or not.

Guess i really need to be more carefull with the soldering. its weird, i'm very carefull with airbrushing but for some reason didn't stop to think about soldering until i smelled the burned laquer of the wires.
Thanks for the reminder, it's really good that this forum keeps everybody on their toes about dangers like that!

i was thinking about that but i don't have the drills i would need for that. So i think i'm going to leave that for now.
After the wings i'm going to light the eye and do some leds underneath the armor bits to highlight them. Or at least thats the plan for now.

- - - Updated - - -

Small update.

finally finished all 4 wings. And then i realized that i had forgotten to put the PC connector bit in. arg. After removing the led glue and dissembling the wings again (and breaking 1 magnet wire :S) i added the pieces. Then i fixed the wires (at least magnet wire is pretty easy to solder) and then put them together.

also started to work on the legs. Getting excited about assembling the whole model :)
Still need to think on how to add the wires from the wings to the body. thinking of keeping them outside like the cables on digging machines.

- - - Updated - - -

Small update to my project
i've assembled the upper body and i'm liking how its turning out. I've put the eye led behind a bit of colored plastic which makes it nice and even. Staring into the led directly didn't look feel right

some foto's:

thwalker13
August 22, 2014, 8:05 AM
Looks like things are starting to take shape. Are you going to be able to hide the wires to the LEDs?

redslash
August 22, 2014, 8:23 AM
Looks like things are starting to take shape. Are you going to be able to hide the wires to the LEDs?

not the ones to the wing, there is hardly any room in the arms/holders. So i think i;m going to make them look like they are ment to be there. I'm goign to create loops on the side and then pull the wires through there just like the wires on a digging machine.

thwalker13
August 22, 2014, 8:48 AM
Very nice way of doing that. I wouldn't have thought of that. I like it. It'll be similar to a hydraulic cable.

redslash
August 22, 2014, 10:54 AM
Very nice way of doing that. I wouldn't have thought of that. I like it. It'll be similar to a hydraulic cable.

exactly, i've bought some hama beads of late ( http://www.hamabeads.com/) and i have a lot of colors i don't need. But they cut easily and they are perfect for using as 'cable holders'. Also the transparent one's i have are very nice for light conducting

- - - Updated - - -

update: hama beads don't paint very well, reverted to an old PC sprew for making the cable holders

thwalker13
August 22, 2014, 10:59 AM
They probably don't paint very well due to their slick texture. Try roughing one up with sand paper and see how it paints then. Maybe a shot of primer after the sanding will help as well.

V0LTES-V01
August 22, 2014, 11:16 AM
Whoa, awesome work with the lights! I already can tell that I'll have a blast working with them when the moment comes.

redslash
August 22, 2014, 3:27 PM
They probably don't paint very well due to their slick texture. Try roughing one up with sand paper and see how it paints then. Maybe a shot of primer after the sanding will help as well.
ah thats a great tip, i'll give that a go.

I was painting them with primer and that didn't come out well, especially at the edges the paint just slid off .

Whoa, awesome work with the lights! I already can tell that I'll have a blast working with them when the moment comes.

thanks :) Working with leds is a lot of fun ^^, at least if you have the right equipment else its just frustrating and takes 4 times as long :)

- - - Updated - - -

A picture update:
first the first leg:

then some dark shots ^^

Dlinker
August 22, 2014, 5:17 PM
Way to make a fearsome kit look even more fearsome. Loving how it looks in those dark shots.

Zaku
August 22, 2014, 6:10 PM
Wow that looks awesome. Nice progress.

redslash
August 23, 2014, 3:47 PM
Ok my progress for today:

i finished almost all of the wiring, here are the legs attached but with the wires still sticking out:

here is the completly assembled and wired (just needs the usb port now) model in daylight:

and in darkness:

there are 2 yellow leds in the hips, but the blue leds are overpowering those, so i think i'm going to modify their placement a bit
also still need to finish fixing the wiring to the wings.
almost there ^^

Shponglefan
August 23, 2014, 11:11 PM
That is seriously wicked looking, especially the 'dark' shots!

Zaku
August 24, 2014, 10:10 PM
That looks so bad ass dude. One thing though are you planning to fix the mono eye light bleed? And if so how? I just did a lot of black paint.

redslash
August 25, 2014, 3:48 AM
That is seriously wicked looking, especially the 'dark' shots!

That looks so bad ass dude. One thing though are you planning to fix the mono eye light bleed? And if so how? I just did a lot of black paint.

Thanks! i'm very pleased with the result overall. Just need to brush up some paint chips.

I'm going to leave the mono eye, i've actually put a 'visor' (half a hama red transparent bead) in front of the led and i like it a lot :)

redslash
July 23, 2015, 4:00 PM
Hi guys,

another update, its a project I've been working on for a while now.
Its my first drastic repaint, and I'm trying to mask a few bits here and there which is pretty cool stuff :)

This is a work in progress, there is chipping because i had a lot of things going wrong.
The build does contain led's, but I'm not ready to show those yet because I'm still repairing a few burned out led's (don't calculate voltages when your tired :S)

here is the 'dark' honoo:

rockpopandchips
July 23, 2015, 4:10 PM
Those aren't chips thats weathering......

Keep at it, its looking nice.

redslash
July 24, 2015, 1:29 AM
Those aren't chips thats weathering......

Keep at it, its looking nice.

Thanks! 6 more leds to replace (horrible job since most of the wires are kitted down and have very little slack, and hot solder and plastic don't mix very well ^^)

Maybe i should look at the damage as weathering :P
Probably going to try to airbrush the spots away because i like a clean finish.