PDA

View Full Version : Table top Gundam Game

zeekpheonix
June 6, 2014, 7:37 PM
I have created table top Gundam game and I am wondering who would be interested in this.

Setsunason54
June 6, 2014, 9:09 PM
What does it consist of?

Plamobot
June 7, 2014, 12:47 PM
I hope it uses those new PLEX figurines. ;)

Setsunason54
June 7, 2014, 7:22 PM
If it's like war hammer then I'm in

donkusgaming
June 8, 2014, 3:07 AM
Sounds cool, I love meeting new people interested in tabletop games. I'm working on a similar project to you! I've already posted mine in "Cool Gundam Stuff" for anyone who is interested!

Setsunason54, you might like mine! It is a lot like Warhammer and uses 1/144 scale HGUC models. For more information you can download the rules at:

https://donkusgaming.wordpress.com

Sorry for derailing the topic a little! If you would like help or to collaborate, zeekpheonix, then feel free to e-mail me and respond to this comment!

J-muss
June 8, 2014, 6:00 AM
I remember ages ago we discussed this in the forum, planned for it to develop into something and it just went no where.

donkusgaming
June 8, 2014, 6:55 AM
I'm pretty into War Gaming, but making rules is pretty hard! Good luck to you if you plan on creating a ruleset! I worked on and off on my rules for about a year and they still need some play testing! If anyone wants to collaborate or ask for advice I'd be happy to give it!

I'm always looking for folks to test my game out too! They're stable enough to play with but require some tweaking! (Version 1.0 came out a few months ago) Would anybody here be interested?

J-muss
June 8, 2014, 5:59 PM
I always thought this kind of game would work better on a D20 system over a D6 system like 40k.

For possible future testing I would keep it to the OYW, easier to balance mobile suits over the entire UC timeline or crossing over to other timelines.

Special Rules for named characters like Amuro and Char. Amuro's could just be called "The White Devil" and allow bonus's to the RX-78-2 (where as if you chose to have a different pilot use the Gundam they wouldn't be as effective in it due to the loss of the bonus Amuro would grant). Same for all of Char's suits, just call his bonus "The Red Comet" which could simply increase the speed of red mobile suits plus some other bonus's. Then some unique squad/named character rules like the Black Tri-stars, which for this game I feel that having one suit from your team takes it's turn, then the opponent, then you. Rather than moving all your guys, then your opponents turn (like 40k). So for the Black Tri-Stars as long as they kept within a certain distance there special would allow all 3 to move in one turn instead of just one at a time... increasing their effectiveness drastically. Plus each pilot would have his own special rule that would mimic their attack in the anime.

Another thing would be cool to have is a damage table which would allow for a variety of MS destruction. If the suit was destroyed in combat the pilot may survive and move onto another battle (gaining experience to build that character). Same with the suit, if it was destroyed but salvageable it would eventually gain additional bonus's. A suit could also have a variety of other destroyed forms, like a reactor meltdown caused by a severe hit or vaporization (like 150% damage to the suit for both). So lets say a GM is in combat and after all damage had been dealt to it and it reach 165% damage, because it is over the 150% mark you would roll to see what happens. So lets say a 6 is a standard destruction (roll to see if pilot/MS survive), a 5 was an automatic MS destruction (but you still roll to see if pilot survives), 4 was auto pilot kill (MS survival roll), 3 Vaporization (auto pilot/ms death), 2 explosion (causes minor damage to nearby units, auto pilot/ms death), 1 Reactor meltdown ( auto pilot/ms death, severe damage to nearby units, x number of inches range).

I've thought about a game like this quite a bit....

donkusgaming
June 8, 2014, 9:01 PM
Mate, you should totally read my rules! They're literally almost exactly what you've described! It's a bit scary actually! Are you in my head? :-?

In my game, players operate in combat phases and use D20s for determining accuracy of shots with modifiers, and use D12 for determining unit damage. There is also MS damage that occurs with penalties to weapons and leg movement, minovsky generator explosions, etc.! My units even have special abilities similar to what you described with amuro and char!

I'd really like you to read it and tell me if this is the sort of thing you're after! It should be at the bottom of my blog, or I can link you the documents if you wish! I look forward to making gundam fans happy!

Edit: Sorry if you already read and were commenting on my rules! I was just very excited to have someone interested in them after all the effort I put in! Thank you! Please continue discussing if you wish! The link again for anyone who is interested: http://donkusgaming.wordpress.com/2014/05/10/mobile-suit-gundam-skirmish-version-1-complete/

donkusgaming
June 8, 2014, 9:27 PM
Sorry folks, I may or may not be double posting by my response seems to have disappeared!

I was just saying thank you for your feedback on the game, J-Muss! Your opinions are welcome! I do indeed have a mobile suit damage chart under the advanced rules section and it works very similarly to what you've described! My D20/D12 system I agree is a better base for these kind of games than using D6. More possibilities! I am very happy my rules fit what you had in mind for a gundam battle game.

I've stuck to the One Year War for now and may make self contained expansions to the game set in different universes, so no mingling of Zeta Gundams and Zakus here! Let me know which ones you'd like!

For unit movement, I have it in phases, because it is easier to keep track of. I may also take you up on your suggestions for the character's special abilities. Thank you so much fir your feedback! I'd love to hear more from everyone in the forum!

the link to my rules is here for anyone else interested! http://donkusgaming.wordpress.com/2014/05/10/mobile-suit-gundam-skirmish-version-1-complete/

TheWhiteWolfofSolomon
June 8, 2014, 9:41 PM
Especially a UC based game, eh J-muss. :P

donkusgaming
June 8, 2014, 9:48 PM
Especially a UC based game, eh J-muss. :P

UC is the best century after all!

J-muss
June 8, 2014, 10:05 PM
Well yes the UC century is my favorite, but for game terms it makes the most sense being that there is so much material to work with. Also it is one of the few timelines that doesn't have a shit ton of Gundam's fighting at once (I.E. Seed, Wing, and 00). So this would be a heavily grunt based game meaning you could have far more cannon fodder on the field. Plus how cool would it be to play a campaign that uses a point system where you start out with few points for your army and are stuck with purchasing weaker grunt suits like GM's and Zaku's and by end game if they survive could be heavily upgraded and have very skilled pilots that could take on far technologically superior suits (think Yonem Kirks and his Zaku I Sniper).

donkusgaming
June 8, 2014, 11:43 PM
I think the best kind of setting is an 08th MS Team styled level of realism. That's kinda what I aimed to achieve in my tabletop game! You know, skirmishes and what not, simple mechs and lots of land combat!

I'm actually worked on version 1.1 of my game right now! If anyone is interested in receiving a copy of it, just send me a PM. I've tried linking to the file online here a few times but I think the mods or a filter keep preventing it? Hahaha. Well, whatevs!

By the way, Can you attatch PDFs in this forum, fellas? I could give it to interested folks that way if I could!

J-muss
June 9, 2014, 10:19 PM
08th MS team took place during the OYW, so suits from both MSG and 08th ms team would be interchangeable.

donkusgaming
June 10, 2014, 12:34 AM
Yeah, I know! I was more referring to how I guess the combat forces are smaller in number ( 3 or so suits a side with support vehicles) and the combat is more realistic and brutal! I mean, I love the original series but it has a tendency later on for Zaku IIs to explode every 2.5 seconds, haha! In my system, I've tried to make it so Zaku IIs can still pose a threat, like in 08th MS team. I like the feel of terrain and flanking, etc., being the basis of combat rather than space! I could post a picture of the kind of Game I've created so far with this in mind if you'd like?

zeekpheonix
June 10, 2014, 2:25 AM
The Game is Like war hammer, except it uses your 1/144 scale models that you make, so it takes the build fighters theory and applies it to real world play. I have made a dice style combat and skill level based on what you equip your mobile suit with as well as the pilot etc... its a little complex but its easy to understand after you play it once. I have play tested it a few times now and working on some of the kinks.

donkusgaming
June 10, 2014, 2:35 AM
The Game is Like war hammer, except it uses your 1/144 scale models that you make, so it takes the build fighters theory and applies it to real world play. I have made a dice style combat and skill level based on what you equip your mobile suit with as well as the pilot etc... its a little complex but its easy to understand after you play it once. I have play tested it a few times now and working on some of the kinks.

Sounds good! I'd love to see the final product. I use 1/144 for my gundam wargaming too. I'm not sure whether they should be stand alone or based (like other miniatures) yet, though I'm leaning on stand alone because I still like posing them. :)

You sound like you know what you want out of your gaming system, although if you want advice or ideas you can feel free to PM me or check out the game I've posted already! I feel these games of ours turn out best when like-minded folks bounce ideas off of each other, you see.

Good luck with your game!

Focke Wulf
February 17, 2016, 12:40 AM
Been years, I know but I started work on a game with some rules already. Semi based on 40k