PDA

View Full Version : Are all MGs drunk? Unstable Exia

Chaser90EK
May 8, 2014, 9:48 PM
So I finally built my first MG grade. I went with the Exia and the only thing scarier than preparing to deal with my first dry transfers and water slides is the fact this mother-fucker has no balance. I'm sure the huge blade on the left arm isn't helping and I'm worried it's gonna take a header of my shelf.

Bossguy
May 8, 2014, 10:57 PM
The 00 MG kits are infamous for their stability issues. I built the MG 00 Seven Sword/G, and it almost put me off building Master Grade kits!

Great job on it, though. Panel lining looks a tad thick. Have you tried the rubbing alcohol trick?

Zeta-G
May 8, 2014, 11:20 PM
What Bossguy said. Try a MG 2.0 kit. That'll show you what the line is really capable of. Or if you prefer AUs, go for Gundam X, Wing Gundam TV, any G kit, or one of the 2012 SEED kits. They are all exemplary model kits.

Zaku
May 9, 2014, 12:38 AM
Go with Zeon kits. We have big feet. And you know what they say about guys with big feet.

Zeta-G
May 9, 2014, 12:41 AM
Zaku 2.0 is a great kit.

Squee
May 9, 2014, 12:49 AM
I forget if this is true, but the Exia technically has 3 joints in its ankle. If you lock the one in the foot down, it tends to have a bit more stability. And if that fails, just stick it on a stand. lol

Zeta-G
May 9, 2014, 12:51 AM
Yeah, MG Exia likes to fall over a lot. There's a reason I have mine posed the way I do with Spallow over him in the Weird/WTF poses gallery (http://www.gundamforums.com/showthread.php/15-Put-any-weird-WTF-poses-of-your-gunpla-here?p=115579&viewfull=1#post115579). ;)

Chaser90EK
May 9, 2014, 7:44 AM
The 00 MG kits are infamous for their stability issues. I built the MG 00 Seven Sword/G, and it almost put me off building Master Grade kits!

Great job on it, though. Panel lining looks a tad thick. Have you tried the rubbing alcohol trick?

I panel line using the fine Gundam Marker. I kind of like the more pronounced lining, but I am unfamiliar with the rubbing alcohol trick. My main issue has been trying to wipe away mistakes in small and/or hard to reach areas.

Go with Zeon kits. We have big feet. And you know what they say about guys with big feet.

Zaku sniper is next in queue behind a 1/100 HG Deathscythe (want something simple to work on this weekend) and I just ordered a Bandai MG 005670 GUNDAM MS-07B-3 GOUF CUSTOM 1/100 scale kit :)

thwalker13
May 9, 2014, 7:46 AM
You could also put the kit onto an action base. Ankle issues become irrelevant when they aren't on the ground.

Stability issues aside, you did a great job on the Exia. It looks great and a really clean build.

Chaser90EK
May 9, 2014, 8:39 AM
Thanks I have this one in my undecided group for if I want to paint it or not...Leaning toward just decals for now. Need to watch some youtube videos before diving into that -_-

TheWhiteWolfofSolomon
May 9, 2014, 9:11 AM
I'll tell you what I did with mine, I used the GN Sword Blade to form a Tripod. I tilted the arm side ways to give it a look of cutting a line in the ground, so it doesn't look like it is using it as a cane (though it actually is :( ) then just threw a beam saber in the other had to give it a it's on kinda look. Hasn't fallen over once since then, or you can get a action base like everyone else recommends.

Zeta-G
May 9, 2014, 10:54 AM
Heads up on the MG Gouf custom, he's really old and has trouble keeping his Gatling gun up. If you twist the arm so the gun is on top, instead of the side, it'll help keep it up longer.

Chaser90EK
May 9, 2014, 11:57 AM
I'll tell you what I did with mine, I used the GN Sword Blade to form a Tripod. I tilted the arm side ways to give it a look of cutting a line in the ground, so it doesn't look like it is using it as a cane (though it actually is :( ) then just threw a beam saber in the other had to give it a it's on kinda look. Hasn't fallen over once since then, or you can get a action base like everyone else recommends.

Something like this? I put my 1/144 HG Exia in like a ready to lunge stance. I was thinking of doing that but I was hoping to mix it up with the stances...I was initially going to try with the blade in the air but as a former fat kid with a love for cake I know the issues being top heavy can cause :D

TheWhiteWolfofSolomon
May 9, 2014, 1:59 PM
Nah you want it in front of the body, so it forms a rough triangle.