PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started

djtlite138
January 24, 2012, 6:36 PM
After not having touched gunpla since Wing was airing for the first time in America I haves decided to start again. This time I plan on diving in and would like to know what tools you all use and what suggestions you have. In addition kit grade suggestions are always welcome and links very appreciated. In addition I am wanting to build the models of the super robot wars mechs such as alt-eisen and cybuster and would like to know if anyone has ever worked with those.

Zeta
January 24, 2012, 6:59 PM
First off welcome the forums. Second, for tools you'll need a good set plastic nippers (I have Tamiya alpha cutters). First, start slow with High Grade kits. They average at about $15 to $20. Once you've built some more of those you can get into the Master Grades. They have small parts (that sometimes break) but much more detailed than High Grades. The last grade is Prefect Grade. They are 1/60 scale and are super detailed. I haven't even attempted a PG (yet).

djtlite138
January 24, 2012, 7:05 PM
Thanks for replying any suggestions about paints? And are there any gundam age kits? I couldn't get into seed so I won't want those kits but any other suggestions would be appreciated. My favorite ms are deathscythe hell (original tv show design), burning gundam, master gundam, exia, age-1 (all three forms), hyaku shiki, ms-06s, sazabi, nu gundam, rx-78, and dynames. There's more I like but those are my absolute favorites. Also I am interested in the original heavyarms and building one and not breaking it this time, like I did when I was a child (the knife broke)

Gale
January 24, 2012, 7:11 PM
In terms of paint, how would you like to apply it? I have started painting by brush, and I use Testors acrylics, which are easy to find and easy to clean up. However, there are paint spray cans and airbrushes, which are quite more expensive to get into using, but typically look great. And yes, there are Age kits. Of your favorite suits, in HG, there are the Burning/God Gundam, Master Gundam, exia, all of age-1, the hyaku shiki(in gold plated and gold plastic forms), zakus, sazabi, nu, rx-78, and dynames. Additionally, Gundam wing suits are being released in Master grade, mostly the Endless waltz versions however.

djtlite138
January 24, 2012, 7:24 PM
Thanks! I have problems with smaller details painting and don't want to use decals though. I have problems with manual dexterity due to minor curvature of each of my fingers and wonder what the best methods are. I saw little clip things that hold the parts while drying. Do you think that would be useful?

Exia
January 24, 2012, 7:37 PM
The Master and God Gundam's were both just rereleased in the High Grade 1/144 and they are top of the line in terms of HG quality. The Exia HG is a fantastic kit, as is it's R2 counterpart. I own 4 Exia HGs.

Gale
January 24, 2012, 7:54 PM
as I had learned the hard way recently, holding up drying parts with clips or tack is definitely useful! As for which method would require the least dexterity, I would go perhaps with spray painting. If you have ~200$, getting an airbrush would be fantastic, however as you are just getting started, such a large initial investment might be unwise if you find yourself not enjoying the hobby as much as you thought you would. So, grab some spray paint, as well as preferably primer and top coat, and when the weather is nice in spring or summer(or now, if you happen to live in a nice climate), try spraying your kits! I cant personally offer any advice on such, as I have only hand brushed, but plenty of people here have and there are plenty of tutorials online elsewhere.

djtlite138
January 24, 2012, 8:01 PM
Thanks everyone. I've got 2 exia's I'm looking at.
http://www.gundamplanet.com/catalog/product/view/id/468/s/gundam-exia/category/3/
http://www.gundamplanet.com/review/product/list/id/1132/category/3/
What are the differences aside from price?

Zeta
January 24, 2012, 8:08 PM
Quality and scale. The HG 00 Exia is smaller at 1/144 scale (about the size of your hand). The 1/100 Exia is larger but less detailed than the 1/144 Exia.

RX-78-2
January 25, 2012, 5:15 PM
By the way I suggest buying from gg infinite robot4less and gundamstoreandmore their prices are much better

Joe
January 25, 2012, 11:58 PM
I've had issues with GG Infinite and their prices are as high as Gundam Planet. For the north American market, HobbyWave and Gundam Store and More have the lowest prices, most of them are matched to the penny, some a lower on one site or the other, but they are consistantly the cheapest. HobbyWave has a fixed shipping rate which is great for big orders, but I wouldn't spend $12 shipping for just one or two kits. Gundam Store and More's shipping rates start out kind of high though. GSaM also has the Gundam Club, which for me, the Platinum membership has paid for itself in shipping savings almost twice over with the amount I've ordered from them and I still have 6 months on that membership. R4L has a coupon BUY100 which gives you $20 off of an order of $100 or more. They also have free shipping on orders over $100 (For shippable instock items only, backorders or pre-order ship separate and you will be charged for that shipping), but their prices are a bit higher than GSaM and HW. So, there's a decent run down of where to shop for North American beginners.

Joe
January 26, 2012, 12:00 AM
The 1/100 Exia is larger but less detailed than the 1/144 Exia.

I would have to disagree on this point...

(Sorry for double posting)

djtlite138
January 26, 2012, 5:38 PM
well it seems my money situation has changed... guess i've gotta wait a little before i get my first gunpla :( i'm definately going exia for my first and will look into the other tools as well. it's a shame that most sites charge around $60 for some super robot models. has anyone seen a white base model? or perhaps the diva from AGE? i also once saw a kit that had rx-78-2 and two other ms but cant remember where. if you've seen it please let me know. Thank you all for all of the help you've given me.

Gale
January 26, 2012, 6:00 PM
There are kits out there for non-mobile suits such as battle ships and mobile armors, but they tend to be harder to find, in limited quantities, and tend to be quite more expensive.
As for the the 3-ms kit, was it this (http://robot4less.com/gundam-operation-v-1144-hguc?filter_name=operation%20v)?

Exia
January 26, 2012, 7:13 PM
well it seems my money situation has changed... guess i've gotta wait a little before i get my first gunpla :( i'm definately going exia for my first and will look into the other tools as well. it's a shame that most sites charge around $60 for some super robot models. has anyone seen a white base model? or perhaps the diva from AGE? i also once saw a kit that had rx-78-2 and two other ms but cant remember where. if you've seen it please let me know. Thank you all for all of the help you've given me.

A most excellent choice!

djtlite138
January 27, 2012, 12:09 AM
There are kits out there for non-mobile suits such as battle ships and mobile armors, but they tend to be harder to find, in limited quantities, and tend to be quite more expensive.
As for the the 3-ms kit, was it this (http://robot4less.com/gundam-operation-v-1144-hguc?filter_name=operation%20v)?

yes that is! i was thinking it was that one or one with rx-78 and a couple of zeon units. i checked hobbywave and thats the one i thought i saw.
my thing with exia is the gn sword. that thing is so cool. how many of you kitbash? i've heard of it and the gunpla builder's beginning gundam j burning cloth is a kitbash so i was curious as to the opinions on that.

GNzaku0023
January 27, 2012, 1:34 AM
I've done some kitbash work, it's a lot of fun and allows you to be really creative with your kits. I'm looking at getting into Pla-Plating, should be fun. :D

swtor98
February 9, 2012, 2:16 AM
however as you are just getting started, such a large initial investment might be unwise if you find yourself not enjoying the hobby as much as you thought you would.