PDA

View Full Version : Meijin Kawaguchi makes statement about BL Gundams

Lacus Prime
February 28, 2014, 8:31 AM
http://getrealphilippines.com/blog/2014/02/bootleg-gundam/

Apparently someone tagged Meijin Kawaguchi in a photo of a BL Gunpla. Obviously the guy didn't like it.
Here in the Philippines the market for BLs is huge. There's lots in some malls (but not the big popular ones).
I admit that the recent kit i bought is BL, the Gaddess (used it as a guinea pig for panel lining).

Zeta-G
February 28, 2014, 9:06 AM
Yes, Yes, YES! I read the article, and I make this argument all the time, be it Gunpla vs bootlegs, DVDs against fansubs, or Apple against Android. The original creators deserve to be compensated for their work. Someone is not entitled to make/buy a knockoff or steal something just because they feel the authentic product is too expensive.

Asterisk
February 28, 2014, 9:24 AM
I'm only okay with bootlegs in regards to versions of mobile suits Bandai doesn't already offer, or recasts of limited run items that are long since unavailable. Otherwise, I agree with this 100%.

thwalker13
February 28, 2014, 11:21 AM
I also agree with this. Thus far there have been instances in which I was actually considering getting a boot leg. Both Kits were Dragon Momoko. And both, Bandai didn't make. 1: MG Tallgeese III. 2: The HG AGE-1R Razor. That being said, I don't buy boot leg kits. I'll support Bandai as long as I'm in this hobby.

P.S. and before anyone says anything about the AGE-1R. Yes I have Bandai conversion parts. But the Dragon Momoko version is a stand alone kit with clear green parts. Not just uncolored plastic.

Dlinker
February 28, 2014, 11:39 AM
I agree as well. Support Bandai and as a result, we'll keep getting what they're offering to us, which is a good thing. However, I have entertained the notion of buying a bootleg just to see how it's like to build one. Specifically, one of those Gundooms I keep seeing over the web, but with all of the stuff Bandai continues to pump out, it's a minor desire.

Bossguy
February 28, 2014, 11:45 AM
I support Bandai all the way, and people shouldn't be buying bootlegs if Bandai has already released a model of the same thing. However, certain things like up-scaled 1/100 magazine exclusives are hard to resist. Third party companies who make pretty much completely new models like Model Comprehend are better. Nothing beats the quality of a Bandai kit, though.

Plamobot
February 28, 2014, 12:24 PM
I don't have enough time to build the Bandai kits I have, let alone any bootlegs.

Okiera29
February 28, 2014, 12:43 PM
I have one Bootleg that I bought before I realized what it was. It is a Gundoom and the build wasn't bad at all. It went together pretty much like any other Gundam as far as assembly sequence goes. The plastic was alright, not too spongy or brittle. I haven't painted it just yet. Seems most of the Gundooms are based off the Nu Gundam. I do like the different head sculpt that it has and may use it if I ever buy an MG Nu gundam. I too will say, do buy some 'bootleg' weapons occasionally as I can't justify full retail just to get a gun. I wish Bandai would sell them separately like Aoshima and Fujimi do with their more popular wheel and tire sets.

Plamobot
March 3, 2014, 1:55 PM
At the dollar store today, I saw a "Justice Robot" action figure that was very clearly a Gundam ripoff. It was maybe 1/100 scale; I would've take a picture, but it was too high up on the wall. It still made me laugh, though; this thing really looked like crap. All white, with some blue lines here and there.

ace
March 3, 2014, 2:45 PM
At the dollar store today, I saw a "Justice Robot" action figure that was very clearly a Gundam ripoff. It was maybe 1/100 scale; I would've take a picture, but it was too high up on the wall. It still made me laugh, though; this thing really looked like crap. All white, with some blue lines here and there.
I would have bought it just for the hell of it. I want some of those gundam mega blocks!

As far as the bootleg gundams that are basically copies of bandai kits, im not interested. I dont think you can really beat the quality of bandai's models.

Plamobot
March 3, 2014, 2:49 PM
I considered it. But I was too lazy to ask a clerk to get it down, and it looked like it wasn't even worth the dollar. ;)

Sazabee
March 3, 2014, 3:10 PM
Why would anyone bite the hand that feeds you?

Bandai has been producing these kits for decades and have grown in terms of production quality and value. There's a reason why they are at a higher price point in comparison to Boot Leg kits, hell Plastic Quality alone will show you that.

I wouldn't buy Boot Leg kits not because of humanitarian issues but because of the quality that Bandai has set. Why would I trade my M3 for a Toyota Tercel?

Plamobot
March 3, 2014, 3:30 PM
You leave my Toyota POS alone!

Nah, I don't drive a Toyota. Pfft, I can't afford a Japanese car!

Zeta-G
March 3, 2014, 4:10 PM
I'd argue that Gunpla is built of better quality plastic than the average western model kit, never mind bootlegs. Then again, since I've never built a bootleg Gunpla, maybe they are built of better quality plastic than western models too. :D

thwalker13
March 3, 2014, 4:11 PM
I will confirm that. I've built a few model cars in my day, and none of them have near the quality plastic that a Bandai kit has.

Zeta-G
March 3, 2014, 4:47 PM
I know. I used to build western models before Gunpla, and the crappy Wing 1/144s blew them away in quality. More recently (as in within the last 2 years) my little brother and best friend both made the mistake of building western models. If anything, they gotten worse in the last decade. My best friend was so disgusted with the lack of quality that he didn't even finish it. I'm being quite serious when I say I wouldn't be surprised if bootleg Gunpla turned out to be better quality than western kits, even if they're still inferior to real Gunpla.

thwalker13
March 4, 2014, 8:00 AM
While I was looking at my back log the other night. I remembered that I actually bought a boot legged version of the 1/100 Armed Armor DE. Only reason I bought it was because I didn't have the money to pay for a Bandai version from eBay. And it was less than half the cost. Plus, it's not a full kit, more of an attachment.

But anyways, though it is a boot leg, I actually do feel the plastic is better quality than the car models I've built.

Plamobot
March 4, 2014, 8:46 AM
Western models don't have nearly enough ROBOTS.

ChapelMkII
March 4, 2014, 10:26 AM
When I was in high school, I bought a 1/144 Hydra Gundam from the local Anime Store. They never carried bootleg figures or kits in the store (and aside from this instance, they never did after), so while I found it odd that the kit was plastic-wrapped, I didn't have any other second thoughts and bought it. Upon opening it though could immediately tell it was a bootleg, thanks to the inconsistent colors of the plastic, and the air bubbles throughout the kit. Having already paid full price for the kit, I bit the bullet and built it. What a piece of crap. all the joints were loose, many parts didn't line up, and the manipulator arms for the Hydra cannons couldn't even support their own weight. I kept it around for a week and then chucked it in the trash, making it the first kit I ever threw out. Long story short, I only buy legit kits when it comes to Gunpla.

Zeta-G
March 4, 2014, 1:36 PM
To be fair, the old official Wing kits sometimes have issues supporting their own weight too. :D
There's also generally two types of bootlegs. The ones where the manufacturer clearly doesn't care how official it looks, like what you're talking about, and the manufacturers who want their product to look like official Bandai kits (or at least have the final product be easily mistaken as official), these would be companies like TT Hongli & Dragon Mamoko. I'm not suggesting western kits are as bad as the former; I'm suggesting they are probably of worse quality than the latter. Personally, I wish the low end bootlegs, high end bootlegs, AND western model companies like Revell and Monogram (among others) would just stop making models entirely and leave it to the professionals. :D

Plamobot
March 4, 2014, 1:45 PM
My friendly neighborhood comic book store had some "Gordam" kits gathering dust in the back room a while ago. They asked me if I'd want 'em, but I passed; I think someone at a local convention bought the whole lot instead.

Lacus Prime
March 4, 2014, 7:35 PM

I saw something like this a long time ago, only it was Tallgeese III, Heavyarms EW and Serpent Custom. Makes me wish I bought them.....

ace
March 4, 2014, 8:50 PM
To be fair, the old official Wing kits sometimes have issues supporting their own weight too. :D
There's also generally two types of bootlegs. The ones where the manufacturer clearly doesn't care how official it looks, like what you're talking about, and the manufacturers who want their product to look like official Bandai kits (or at least have the final product be easily mistaken as official), these would be companies like TT Hongli & Dragon Mamoko. I'm not suggesting western kits are as bad as the former; I'm suggesting they are probably of worse quality than the latter. Personally, I wish the low end bootlegs, high end bootlegs, AND western model companies like Revell and Monogram (among others) would just stop making models entirely and leave it to the professionals. :D

Man used to hate those wing kits with the loose joints. I later figured out that the ones that come with the pilot figures were significantly better than the ones without. That said you can see where bandai has improved their production over the years. And i couldnt agree more about the revel kits. I built an apache helicopter made by revel once when I was a teen and i can remember thinking it was cheap compared to my gundam wing kits. It used to fall apart and the plastic was thin and brittle.

Zeta-G
March 4, 2014, 9:15 PM
I think that I may have had the same kit (I know I had an Apache, I just can't remember if it was Revell or Monogram). Those things are absolute garbage compared to old Wing-era Gunpla, nevermind newer Gunpla. Like you said the plastic for Revell/Monogram kits is thin and brittle.

Deathscythe!
March 8, 2014, 9:19 AM
People ought to be allowed to purchase everything they want, taking for granted their desired product is legal.
(bootleg toys, model kits etc. might violate some terms and prohibitions but who cares, they're not really important)

Why are people getting butthurt over bootleg plastic?
(If there's someone to be pissed, it's bandai, not you)

thwalker13
March 8, 2014, 9:55 AM
It's the fact bootleg companies are trying to take business from Bandai. If the bootleg market eventually begins selling more than the authentic kits, then Bandai will just quit making Gunpla because they are losing money. I don't really see this happening, but it's always possible.

I will say this though, I looked at a review of the Hi-Nu Gundoom kit. It looks pretty badass.

Dlinker
March 8, 2014, 1:23 PM
^ What he said (including the part about the Hi-Nu Gundoom, haha).

If you want a good example of what happens when bootlegs are bought more than the real deal, take a look at the Philippines. Over there, bootlegs often take the same amount of shelf space as the legit stuff and it gets worse for things like physical media for music and movies. I understand that people have the right to do what they want with their money (so no big deal if you buy a bootleg or two), but at the same time it's not really that hard to go for the legit stuff that is usually of better quality.

Lacus Prime
March 9, 2014, 5:27 AM
^ What he said (including the part about the Hi-Nu Gundoom, haha).

If you want a good example of what happens when bootlegs are bought more than the real deal, take a look at the Philippines. Over there, bootlegs often take the same amount of shelf space as the legit stuff and it gets worse for things like physical media for music and movies. I understand that people have the right to do what they want with their money (so no big deal if you buy a bootleg or two), but at the same time it's not really that hard to go for the legit stuff that is usually of better quality.

I can attest to this. Although local law enforcement agencies have had campaigns against pirated CDs and DVDs, the industry just won't die. i think most Filipinos would opt for BL DVDs because they're cheaper. (although the quality is hit or miss-the worst ones are the camrips. Some have good video but bad subs. Although I've had a BL DVD which had good subs, good video,and even comes with the special features!)

Plamobot
March 9, 2014, 1:05 PM
Even though it's easy to get fansubs of the Gundam series released stateside...I've got a full DVD collection, anyway. If it got a US release, I bought it. (Though it took some careful planning and deal hunting once they went out of print...)

Asterisk
March 9, 2014, 3:04 PM
I have the entire run of Mobile Suit Gundam on DVD, but I bought them second hand, so Bandai/Sunrise didn't benefit from the sale, regardless.

Plamobot
March 9, 2014, 3:29 PM
I'd say about half of mine were bought new. The rest were used via eBay or Amazon.

Zeta-G
March 9, 2014, 10:24 PM
All of my Gundam DVDs/Blu-Rays were bought new, specifically so I could support Bandai Entertainment and Gundam in the US. Bootleggers/fansubbers should be jailed. Second hand merchandise is okay, although, as previously mentioned, it does nothing to support Gundam anime being legally released in the US.

Plamobot
March 9, 2014, 11:03 PM
I know. I bought new whenever I could, but it soon became a choice between buying sets for around $60-75 used, or not getting them at all, because new prices had jumped to $150-200. ;)

Zeta-G
March 9, 2014, 11:27 PM
Do you have igloo by any chance? Those are easily the rarest pair of Gundam DVDs released stateside. Forget paying a fortune for them, it's hard to even find legitimate copies of them for sale. I'm glad I got them when I did.

Plamobot
March 10, 2014, 8:28 AM
I didn't even know they had a US release! Dammit! :(

thwalker13
March 10, 2014, 9:05 AM
Neither did I honestly. A lot of my DVDs are used. As I simply don't have the funds to buy them new. I haven't bought any in awhile due to the recent price spike. I really want Star Dust Memory.

Plamobot
March 10, 2014, 9:20 AM
Now that I think about it...I believe the only ones I bought used were SEED, G Gundam, Gundam Trilogy, and G-Saviour.

Lacus Prime
April 1, 2014, 8:01 AM
And Bandai makes a statement as well...

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/03/beware-of-pirated-editions-of-model-kits.html

Plamobot
April 1, 2014, 8:45 AM
What about the "mock" suits from GBF? If Bandai makes those...where do they stand? Official bootlegs? :)

jaster-jesek
June 28, 2014, 3:39 PM
You know what is kind of sad?...

Okay, so these bootleg makers are able to create kits that even Bandai doesn't actually offer?...
So... why not come up with their own concepts and ideas? Even if their ideas ultimately copy SOME elements from Gundam, I see no issue with that-- certainly Gundam has copied other robot anime series in some respects.

But if they can make something that doesn't exist, then... you know... all the more power to them. It is a bit sad that they copy other's ideas exactly though with no effort of creativity.

On the other hand.... Bandai has been seemingly hard-headed about releasing a Barzam or Efreet HG kit. If I can get one for a comparable price from a different company...

Zeta
June 29, 2014, 6:48 PM
Remind me, what's the Barzam again? See, that right there is most likely why Bandai won't release a HG kit of the Barzam. Conversely, those who do want a HG Barzam are probably so small in number, that spending the capital needed to make one (R&D, prototyping, production) would simply not be worth it. Then again we did recently get a proper HG of the Messala, so it's only a matter of time before we get HG's of all the MS's and variants published in either animated or book form.

Zeta-G
June 29, 2014, 11:28 PM
The Barzam is the blue Titans MP suit from the latter half of Zeta. I'd preorder a MG of it if they ever made one.

Zeta
June 30, 2014, 12:09 AM
The Barzam is the blue Titans MP suit from the latter half of Zeta. I'd preorder a MG of it if they ever made one.

Oh that MS! Huh, that is weird that we have not yet gotten a proper HG or MG.

jaster-jesek
June 30, 2014, 2:45 PM
Oh that MS! Huh, that is weird that we have not yet gotten a proper HG or MG.

Well, actually-- it seems I should have done a bit of research. It seems that after years and years of it being noticeably absent from the produced kits when basically ever other grunt MS from Z was made, they did finally make one in January of this year.

http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000083338/?utm_source=search&utm_medium=pcp#item-top

Although that doesn't look like the usually packaging and costs 4x as much as usual, it otherwise appears to be scaled as an HG kit.

Zeta-G
June 30, 2014, 3:15 PM
That's a toy not a model kit.

jaster-jesek
July 1, 2014, 9:35 AM
That's a toy not a model kit.

Good to know before I was too tempted to order it.
You know, that's the second major Barzam toy to be marketed and yet no model kit. Ever.

Nor one for any of the various Efreets-- which have also gotten toys.

What is it about these two suits that keep them from becoming proper model kit? They seriously aren't all that particularly obscure. It seems to me a lot more obscure UC grunt suits made it to market. I am pretty sure the fandom generally perceives them positively and they would sell.