PDA

View Full Version : xPrimos WIP / First Painted build

xPrimo
December 14, 2013, 11:46 PM
hey all,
i stumbled across these forums and thought id post up an image of my current work in progress and my first painted build using an air brush.
my goals for this one are pretty simple being its my first painted build and with an air brush so i really just wanted to get used to the feel of it.
some things I've identified thus far....

painting makes it a lot more difficult to snap the pieces together
top coat before moving pieces? otherwise paint scraps off

things seem to be going well thus far im pretty much done first top coat and ready to move to panel wash and final coat.
lemme know what you guys think xD

Bossguy
December 14, 2013, 11:50 PM
Welcome to the boards! It looks very nice.

B6Drew
December 15, 2013, 12:03 AM
welcome and it looks good so far!

Zenki_Style
December 15, 2013, 12:15 AM
Welcome,I look forward too seeing more of this. looks good!

xPrimo
December 15, 2013, 5:06 PM
thanks i really appreciate the kind words, out of curiosity though would it be better to paint each piece individually or snap together the arms legs and such because I have gone through about 2-3 cans of primer pretty easy on a HG cant imagine a MG or PG, i also can not seem to keep my paint from scraping while moving parts around so some advice on that would be greatly appreciated.

Bossguy
December 15, 2013, 6:21 PM
How are you using 3 cans of primer on a HG? Yo should not be using that much paint.

xPrimo
December 15, 2013, 6:31 PM
well tamiya fine primer doesn't come in the largest cans and kashatriya is larger than a typical HG mostly due to the binders, but again first time I've tried painting so I'm sure it has something to do with bad technique as well, I also sprayed every part individually with primer.

Zaku
December 15, 2013, 6:48 PM
Looks good brother.

thwalker13
December 15, 2013, 9:48 PM
I would probably agree with Bossguy. Three cans of primer seems rather excessive. I hope that the primer coat doesn't end up being to thick. But, if it's your 1st time attempting it's understandable. Took me awhile to learn a method of spraying with a can. Are you doing light mist coats?

Bossguy
December 15, 2013, 9:59 PM
Very understandable. However, I did not even use half of my Tamiya Primer can when I sprayed my Byarlant custom. Granted, I didn't paint the whole thing, but you still should really only be using one can per build, especially if it's a HG.

xPrimo
December 15, 2013, 11:02 PM
I would probably agree with Bossguy. Three cans of primer seems rather excessive. I hope that the primer coat doesn't end up being to thick. But, if it's your 1st time attempting it's understandable. Took me awhile to learn a method of spraying with a can. Are you doing light mist coats?

Very understandable. However, I did not even use half of my Tamiya Primer can when I sprayed my Byarlant custom. Granted, I didn't paint the whole thing, but you still should really only be using one can per build, especially if it's a HG.

the primer coat isn't that thick at all so I don't think I'm over spraying a piece in actuality I think I'm just missing w/ a lot of the primer. I have been spraying at a pretty good distance from the piece in fear of over coating. maybe I just need to bring the pieces a bit closer.

Bossguy
December 15, 2013, 11:14 PM
Hmmm, can you make an estimate on how far you're spraying from the piece?

xPrimo
December 15, 2013, 11:31 PM
roughly the 8-10 in. range

Bossguy
December 15, 2013, 11:37 PM
Ok, you don't need to spray that far away. I usually spray three to five inches away from the part. Also, don't do a continuous spray over the piece. I don't know if you do this, but that could cause some paint waste. Quick, short burst are better.

xPrimo
December 15, 2013, 11:48 PM
well then guess i will have to put that wisdom towards the next build. appreciate the help.

Bossguy
December 16, 2013, 12:00 AM
No problem!

xPrimo
December 17, 2013, 11:14 PM
so finished all the painting moving on to top coat, panel wash, and final top coat hoping to be done before the end of the month if work allows it.

Bossguy
December 17, 2013, 11:24 PM
Looks good! The colors look identical to its plastic counterparts. The sleeves also look really sharp.

B6Drew
December 17, 2013, 11:26 PM
looks really good!

Dlinker
December 18, 2013, 12:28 AM
Excellent paint job. It certainly does look like it's bare plastic due to how clean it is. I bet it will look smashing once you apply that panel line wash.

thwalker13
December 18, 2013, 7:54 AM
Impeccable work man. It looks so sharp and crisp that one would never even know it was painted. Once that panel wash is applied it'll look that much better.