PDA

View Full Version : Zero's Build

IamZero
December 5, 2013, 10:02 PM
Hello and welcome to my thread. I am completely clueless on the series, but I've been interested ever since I built a simple non grade kit more than 15 years ago. I have finally started building gundam models to help keep my hands busy during an injury. After throwing a ton of money into a bunch of kits and simply snapping them together, I thought I might as well keep on with it, and see how far I can take it. This thread is started just to help keep tabs on my projects and maybe get some helpful hints and tips.

PG Golden Blood Frame (Red Frame) Astray 1/60

Not sure what I was thinking when I chose this as my first paint project. I really fell in love with the MG Red Frame, which looked amazing with just a few decals and a satin topcoat. I had already assembled and sanded the PG Strike, so I thought I had a fairly good idea of what I was getting into. I ordered the kit, primed my airbrush and paints, and began. I wanted to stay close to the original color scheme, but definitely wanted a nice noticeable twist as well. I painted the entire internal skeleton a titanium gold, and the armor as well. As much as I liked the gold armor, I wanted to let the metallic shine through clear red, giving an amazing depth through different lighting. Gunmetal was used on the feet, torso, and a few other details. Now for some pictures.

MODEL LIST

Completed
1. PG Red Frame Astray (Golden Blood Frame)
2. MG Buster Gundam

In Progress
1. MG Wing Zero Custom (ArchZero)
2. MG 02 Banshee
3. MG Sazabi Ver Ka

thwalker13
December 5, 2013, 10:08 PM
Well I'll be the 1st to say, welcome to the forums. You certainly know how to make an entrance. We sure don't see many PG projects around here so this is a nice surprise. I hope you enjoy here with us.

As for the PG Astray, you certainly chose a good one. And I really like those colors. I can't wait to see more.

Bossguy
December 5, 2013, 11:12 PM
Welcome to the boards! Glad to have a fellow Astray lover on board. That color scheme is looking slick. Very different and very nice.

IamZero
December 6, 2013, 2:08 PM
Thank you both for the welcome. The community seems great, and there is definitely a lot to learn here from everyone. This first project is almost complete, and hopefully I'll be able to post something useful from my endeavors.

edit: heres a few more pictures of the red frame. you'll notice the laziness if you look close, like using the file a little too generously, or not waiting long enough for the paint to dry properly. patience is another thing I'm working on with these, hah.

Bossguy
December 6, 2013, 2:50 PM
I love it. I really can't see any imperfection with this kit. It's all in your head, man! Happens to all of us.

Dlinker
December 6, 2013, 3:08 PM
I love the gold and red color scheme. It matches with the katana and gives the whole kit a royal feel.

thwalker13
December 6, 2013, 4:38 PM
I agree, that is a spectacular color scheme for the Red Frame. The details you did on the Katana are awesome. Well done good sir.

IamZero
December 7, 2013, 9:43 AM
Thank you all again for the compliments. Due to the photo limits per post, I've decided to leave out the less flattering pictures. I had issues a bit of course with paint coming off on some pieces, as you can see on the cockpit door. Not sure if it was the lack of primer, or if I rushed to assemble some of the pieces before properly drying. Taking a look at the other build threads to get a better idea.

Bossguy
December 7, 2013, 10:09 AM
I can see that small little mishap, but it really isn't all that bad. Always remember to let your parts cure for at least a day before assembly.

IamZero
December 7, 2013, 12:04 PM
Yeah, I feel more than satisfied with the outcome, remembering how little I planned ahead. Ive been trying to use thinner coats of paint, and definitely agree you need at least a day's worth of drying. I took a few decent shots so if I scratch it up posing, i'll either touch it up or weather it down with a little damage. I figure anything can be fixed, with enough desire and effort.

Another one of about four scratches. Most occurred before I misted the model with a light gloss coat.

thwalker13
December 7, 2013, 12:17 PM
That is true, anything can be fixed. You just gotta get the motivation to do it.

IamZero
December 7, 2013, 4:24 PM
Motivation is hard to come by lately haha. Still working on therapy for my right hand and arm, and unfortunately I'm right handed. I've started a new project, since I just can't wait for the paint I need to put some finishing touches on the PG Astray.

MG BUSTER GUNDAM 1/100

Per my usual assembly methods, I've begun to cut out and bag the pieces by sprue. I trim the nubs off at this point, but file/sand later.

I like to get mostly everything expect weapons out of the sprues and into the bags, since I've never had an issue identifying a piece by instruction images. Really enjoying the different colors on the Buster. The green and cream really give it a nice edge, without catching the eye too much from the solid and lean looking limbs. The shoulders look like they might get in the way sometimes with the size of the launchers up there, but the skirt and leg pieces all look to be well placed. Going to put a little more work in while I decide how I'd like to paint this machine.

IamZero
December 9, 2013, 6:19 PM
So to update my Buster build, I have mixed my colors and have started spraying. Working on the torso first, I am satisfied with keeping the colors original. Except I wanted the green to strike a little more, so I went with some metallic to the green. Next the head...

Bossguy
December 9, 2013, 6:24 PM
Glad it's going well. I dig that green you have there. It reminds me of what Thwalker did with his Master Gundam.

Dlinker
December 9, 2013, 6:47 PM
Oooh, wow, that metallic green looks good. A fitting enhancement to the original colors.

IamZero
December 9, 2013, 10:12 PM
Thanks, glad you guys like the green. I thought about doing a camo stencil over the Buster, but I just figured I want to get used to laying down paint with the airbrush. Judging from my results so far, can anyone say if I would benefit from priming beforehand? My next project is an MG Banshee 02, placed behind the buster because of the psycho frame. I really do not want any scratches from all those armor pieces shifting between unicorn and destroy, so I'm trying to get the most out of this current build.

Bossguy
December 9, 2013, 10:14 PM
If you want a more durable finish, definitely prime. It gives the paint much more to grab on to, and helps prevent chipping.

thwalker13
December 9, 2013, 11:03 PM
Oh man I love that green. The Buster will for sure look great with that on it.

B6Drew
December 10, 2013, 2:50 AM
that green is awesome, its almost like a metallic british racing green.

IamZero
December 10, 2013, 4:17 PM
Thank you all for the encouragement. And I figured I would have to start priming, since I have to work on my filing/sanding as well. Haven't done much work, enjoying the stormy movie weather. But just wanted to throw the few pieces together.
The red-orange of the torso glows almost pink in direct sunlight, with the metallic I used to mix in to match the theme. I kind of like it anyway.

B6Drew
December 10, 2013, 4:30 PM
straight up badass man, looks great!

Dlinker
December 10, 2013, 5:06 PM
That's a nice shade of red-orange. It's a warm contrast with the darker metallic green.

Bossguy
December 10, 2013, 5:18 PM
That red is nice and subtle. It makes the green stand out much more. I like it.

IamZero
December 11, 2013, 1:46 PM
Thank you all, I was on the fence about remixing a different shade. But I'll keep it, and save the headache. Nice weather today, so I will probably spray the arm pieces I have laid out.

IamZero
December 12, 2013, 3:20 PM
Just throwing up a few more painted pieces, coming together.
BluTack helps spray a lot of tiny parts at once
Even the shoulder armor is pretty snug, stays on and maneuvers well without the arms. It is just a little too crowded up there though. Hard to move the head or shoulders at all without rubbing. Luckily the paint is still fine.
Beginning to pick out details, like painting the clear parts. Little things really do help bring a new air to the whole model.

thwalker13
December 12, 2013, 3:28 PM
I can't get over how awesome that green looks. The kit is looking great man.

IamZero
December 12, 2013, 5:07 PM
Thank you! After tackling that never ending PG, this feels almost too easy. I have the rest lined up to be sprayed tonight, and assembly tomorrow.

Bossguy
December 12, 2013, 5:35 PM
Oh my goodness that looks awesome! I love the contrast with the red, green and beige.

Dlinker
December 12, 2013, 5:41 PM
BluTack certainly is a useful adhesive! Nearly invaluable for any sort of paint work.

Really nice progress so far. The colors fit together well, especially the green. Even in standard lighting it looks shiny.

Zenki_Style
December 12, 2013, 9:38 PM
Really loving that green myself amazing how good it looks. I've also been finding the blue tack a very handy thing to keep around,i've used it to hold for paint and even use it to keep my models stuck to wherever they are standing lol

IamZero
December 13, 2013, 9:08 AM
Glad you all like the colors, gives me motivation to finish. As one can see, I do love metallics. I have finished spraying all the remaining leg, torso, and weapon pieces yesterday morning, so today will be the day I hope. I'm already itching to start my next project, which I'm hoping to step up the level of detail. This forum has been great in stirring up ideas, thank you all.

V0LTES-V01
December 13, 2013, 11:14 AM
Welcome to the forum Zero. Fantastic work with the Red Frame. It looks like another awesome work is on its way. I look forward to its completion.

IamZero
December 13, 2013, 3:57 PM
Thank you for the welcome, it has been very encouraging. And I have completed the Buster, but not without mishaps. Had to retouch several spots on one of the shoulders, which turned out well. One of the articulated arms for the big guns broke, the ball of the joint just twisted right off. It was moving fine while I was testing, then it just seemed to skip and catch, sliding right off like butter... the strangest thing ever. I used only Tamiya gloss paints on this, no topcoat or primer, and I mixed it 1:1 to 91% iso. I suppose there is always the chance of a badly molded part. Luckily every other joint on this model is superb. It has a super wide stance, the rear view without guns shows the legs as close together as possible. It is one of my favorite builds so far, very simple and clean design, but still a lot of complexity as to how all the parts overlap and slowly build it up. I would say this is the most solid MG Gundam I have so far, the guns are pretty heavy, but it can literally pose and balance with no worry. It definitely grew a lot on me, this is just one powerful and menacing suit.

thwalker13
December 13, 2013, 4:36 PM
Man, I love those colors. They really perfectly fit the Buster extremely well and all those details are amazing. Great work man.

Dlinker
December 13, 2013, 5:14 PM
Great job on this kit. The paint work is excellent and looks very smooth. Everything is just a joy to look at.

Very strange indeed with that ball joint, but it's a simple fix.

IamZero
December 13, 2013, 6:17 PM
Just have to figure out a way to get the jammed ball out of the gun's socket. If not I think I might just try and use the extra thin cement I have either way. All in all, I am happy with the end result. I do now wish I saved the PG for later, just seeing how much I could have done with it. I got used to laying down and mixing the right colors and consistency that I want, my next step is to prime and hand paint details. I just picked up some Model Masters and Vallejo primers, since that was all the hobby shop had in stock today. I want to try alclad primer, as I have heard good things about them as well. Any tips on those three brands, any preferences before I start priming my new project? I have decided to skip the Banshee, and work on a Wing Zero Custom with a special theme in mind, which I am calling ArchZero. Any blemish will be extremely noticeable, so I want to get the toughest primer I can airbrush.

Does anybody else cut out the pieces the way I do? I find if I cut out the pieces with a lot of extra nub attached, I can get my side cutters in almost any angle when trimming the nub completely off. Really makes sanding and filing such a breeze, because I get such cleaner cuts.

Bossguy
December 13, 2013, 6:44 PM
Wow, your Buster looks amazing. That ball joint is strange, though. I wonder why that happened.

As for paints, I haven't used any of those brands. Vallejo's can generally be shot straight out of the bottle, but don't use lacquer on top of it, as it might cause a paint reaction.

I don't leave nearly as much gate as you do. I usually just leave a small triangle and then snip off the excess.

Dlinker
December 13, 2013, 7:03 PM
Your next project sounds interesting. I've only used Vallejo Surface Primer out of the items you mentioned and it works really well. The only caveat is that it doesn't really etch itself into the plastic so it's kinda like a shell. Acrylics will go great on top of it, especially Vallejo paints, but it will be just as easily scratched and scraped as any acrylic. I find that it works best on parts/areas that will get minimal physical contact.

If you don't mind dealing with fumes, I'd say lacquer primer like Mr. Surfacer brand is ideal. Dries super thin, easy to spray and thin, and it's the most durable.

I like to leave an extra bit of the nub left when I cut too. Sometimes it makes a cleaner result when sanding.

V0LTES-V01
December 13, 2013, 9:25 PM
You're on the grind there friend. Pumpin out projects one after another. Gunpla fever hits hard doesn't it? Excellent work with the Buster by the way. That sheen on the green is just too good. How did you achieve it?

And what kind of color scheme do you have in store for Wing Zero? Oh and, what airbrush set-up are you working with?

Okiera29
December 14, 2013, 6:45 PM
I too really like the green on your buster. Never really a fan of that suit till now. Looks much better with your paint job!

IamZero
December 15, 2013, 9:44 AM
Wow, your Buster looks amazing. That ball joint is strange, though. I wonder why that happened.

As for paints, I haven't used any of those brands. Vallejo's can generally be shot straight out of the bottle, but don't use lacquer on top of it, as it might cause a paint reaction.

I don't leave nearly as much gate as you do. I usually just leave a small triangle and then snip off the excess.

If I did acrylic over lacquer primer, would it cause any adverse effects?

Your next project sounds interesting. I've only used Vallejo Surface Primer out of the items you mentioned and it works really well. The only caveat is that it doesn't really etch itself into the plastic so it's kinda like a shell. Acrylics will go great on top of it, especially Vallejo paints, but it will be just as easily scratched and scraped as any acrylic. I find that it works best on parts/areas that will get minimal physical contact.

If you don't mind dealing with fumes, I'd say lacquer primer like Mr. Surfacer brand is ideal. Dries super thin, easy to spray and thin, and it's the most durable.

I like to leave an extra bit of the nub left when I cut too. Sometimes it makes a cleaner result when sanding.

Unfortunately I have heard that about the vallejo primer. I also have heard the acrylic-polyurethane is different from their other types? But yes, I will probably switch to lacquer based paints and primers once I build a full size spray booth for my apartment. Right now I just use a small desktop booth which works great for now using tamiya paints, but I don't want to risk having any stronger fumes get trapped. Any particularly good website recommendations for Mr. Color paints?

You're on the grind there friend. Pumpin out projects one after another. Gunpla fever hits hard doesn't it? Excellent work with the Buster by the way. That sheen on the green is just too good. How did you achieve it?

And what kind of color scheme do you have in store for Wing Zero? Oh and, what airbrush set-up are you working with?

I have returned full-time back to work, so I will probably slow down a little, but I agree it hits hard haha. In a matter of two months I have purchased two PGs, seven MGs, three RGs, and two HGs, with only two left to go. I have only painted two models so far, and am trying to improve each time. In terms of equipment, I purchased a generic Master Airbrush bundle from Amazon for one hundred dollars, and it has been working great so far, using just a basic dual action .5 needle brush. The only downside I would say is that you cannot adjust the pressure, but for the price I paid for it, I never worry about clogging or damaging it and it still has handled everything I have pumped through it flawlessly. I also use a desktop spray booth, which I purchased from paasche. For the green color, I did with the Buster the same as the Red Frame; which was to lay a metallic paint coat (tamiya gunmetal) under a clear colored paint. Making the undercoat as thin as possible is key, since the clear paint only builds up a nice deep coat after about 2-3 coats. The other colors on the buster actually had different metallic paints actually mixed into it, which just adds a sparkle rather than depth. As far as the Wing Zero, I want to draw out the angelic feel, and of course I still have not gotten the metallic fever over with. I want to make it a pure white/gold/silver theme, with some basic customizations.

I too really like the green on your buster. Never really a fan of that suit till now. Looks much better with your paint job!

Thank you! Always great to hear feedback, especially when it is good lol.

Bossguy
December 15, 2013, 10:47 AM
No. Acrylics will go fine over lacquer based paints. I got my Mr. Surfacer from eBay.

Dlinker
December 15, 2013, 2:54 PM
I usually go for either Hobbywave, Gundam Planet, Sprue Brothers, and Model Grade when it comes to buying Mr. Color supplies (including primer). And as Bossguy mentioned, eBay is another place you can try since the prices can be a bit cheaper.

IamZero
December 16, 2013, 8:34 AM
After I got amazon prime, I seem to have forgotten about eBay. I have only heard of two of those sites, will check the rest out. I definitely want to switch to tougher lacquer paints when I start the Sazabi Ver Ka I picked up yesterday. That thing is monstrous.

Dlinker
December 16, 2013, 10:51 AM
Wow, got your hands on the big red giant already. I bet it's taking a ton of room in your backlog.

Bossguy
December 16, 2013, 11:04 AM
You already got the Sazabi Ver. Ka? Wow. Nice acquisition.

IamZero
December 16, 2013, 11:32 AM
I had nothing better to do on lunch at work, saw the hobby shop had two left, and I could not resist. The box is the same size as the PG Red Frame, and it simply is overflowing with thrusters, sliding panels, vents and a ton of other details. It even comes with waterslide decals, which they rarely do. This will pretty much be my whole backlog now though, just way too many runners. Still excited about the Wing Zero and Banshee, but I want to go all out with Sazabi and squeeze out every detail. Once you see the kit in person, you will not be able to resist.

thwalker13
December 16, 2013, 12:12 PM
Very nice purchase man. I'm sure the Sazabi will be a hell of an undertaking.

Bossguy
December 16, 2013, 12:39 PM
I can't believe that your hobby shop already got that in. That must be some lightning fast shipping. Good move waiting on the Sazabi. That's a lot of plastic to work with.

IamZero
December 16, 2013, 2:02 PM
As soon as I get the hang of priming my Wing Zero, it'll begin...

Jfl0
December 18, 2013, 4:00 AM
Great work!

Due to the photo limits per post

If you upload the images to a file sharing site, such as photobucket, you can copy the link directly and type [ img ] [ /img ] to show it immediately (without spaces between brackets).

I had issues a bit of course with paint coming off

Unfortunately it happens to the best of us. Especially around the joints.

Always remember to let your parts cure for at least a day before assembly.

I give acrylics 24 hours. In my rush to finish a kit, sometimes 16. Enamels I always let dry 48 hours in addition to clear coats.

Per my usual assembly methods, I've begun to cut out and bag the pieces by sprue.

Hmmm. Interesting way of doing it. Not a wrong way or a right way- I've just never heard of anyone doing that. Interesting.

definitely prime.

A lot of people insist Gundams don't need priming. I always prime every one of my kits. I did not prime my MG Heavyarms and it did not come out as nicely. Primer gives the surface something to stick to. Although it sticks to bare bandai plastic well, a sanded and primed surface presents a sharper look at the finished product. I usually use a neutral gray as primer.

I've also been finding the blue tack a very handy thing to keep around

It is extremely handy. I use it to keep weapons held into the hands on older kits.

I do love metallics.

MG Kampher with metallic Blue. DOOOO EEEEET.

Just have to figure out a way to get the jammed ball out of the gun's socket.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

Oh how I lament on the possibilities that could have been with some of my original work :/ *pats back*

I'd say lacquer primer

*sprays* &#^$&! *evacuates room*

I do the same thing. The japanese claim it deflects stresses away from the cut site. I tend to agree with them.

Pumpin out projects one after another.

God I wish I could pump kits out xD

If I did acrylic over lacquer primer, would it cause any adverse effects?

I don't think so. At the same time I wouldn't recommend it.

when I start the Sazabi Ver Ka

METALLICS! GO GO GO GO! *laughs*

Also, welcome to the forums. Here's information on My Wing Zero Custom build if you would like some reference.

http://www.gundamforums.com/showthread.php/11963-Jfl0-s-Build-Thread?p=59728&viewfull=1#post59728
http://www.gundamforums.com/showthread.php/11963-Jfl0-s-Build-Thread?p=68207&viewfull=1#post68207

thwalker13
December 18, 2013, 7:57 AM
I have never seen so many quotes in one post in my life. O.O

IamZero
December 18, 2013, 9:17 AM
Thank you for all the feedback! I will definitely be looking over your build thread, some good shots throughout the job. After Wing Zero, I am switching to all lacquers. I'll save the remaining Tamiya paints for a few HGs, or for repainting a few old models that would remain unpainted otherwise. And we shall be seeing metallics all around lol...

Bossguy
December 18, 2013, 10:22 AM
Whoa........

Jfl0
December 18, 2013, 10:32 AM
I have never seen so many quotes in one post in my life. O.O

Its a real shame I didn't discover this thread or zero until today- so I went through the entire thread and made some comments.

thwalker13
December 18, 2013, 12:05 PM
Haha, I figured as such Jfl0.

Lacquer paints are definitely nice to use. And tough. You can't get a getter clear coat than a lacquer based one.

Bossguy
December 18, 2013, 12:10 PM
Lacquer paints are very tough. I've heard good things about Mr. Color's line of lacquers.

IamZero
April 7, 2014, 12:07 PM
It has been awhile since an update to this thread, especially with all the ups and downs with functionality With the temperatures finally rising above the 20s and 30s, I'm ready to resume some projects. I am about to crack open that PG GP01 that has been waiting all winter since I bought it as a Christmas present to myself, hehe. I'll be doing minor customs and paints on a lot of the MGs I have been snap building over the winter, but will focus on my PG as the main attraction. The MGs and HGs will be my guinea pigs, as I prepare to fumble through my first attempt at what I would want to call a "complete build". I hope to see you all around.

Unpacking the suitcase...

thwalker13
April 7, 2014, 12:23 PM
Can't wait to see the updates on that monster.

Dlinker
April 7, 2014, 1:06 PM
Got to love those PG kit suitcases. Looking forward to your progress, both on that and the guinea pigs you mentioned.

IamZero
April 7, 2014, 3:48 PM
I've already blazed through ten runners, but it sure feels overwhelming to not even see a dent in the ocean of plastic. I don't even have any containers to store the trimmed and cleaned pieces, since they are so massive. The tupperware I used for my MGs only fit the runners with tiniest of pieces. I'm taking a break for today with the GP01. I'm going to see if I can go knock out the Blitz, and start preparing it for the custom kit bash I'm planning out. After burning through so many MGs quickly, this PG really is a refreshing change of pace and planning.

Here's an idea of the pieces. Even after the PG Strike and Astray, this was unexpected.

Dlinker
April 7, 2014, 5:06 PM
I'm not surprised the amount of parts feels even more than the Strike and Astray. I believe that's one of the PG kits that truly deserve its grading.

Wiz33
April 7, 2014, 5:31 PM
Looking forward to the GP-01 build. I plan to build mine one of these days so I'm interesting in your take on the build.

IamZero
April 7, 2014, 7:28 PM
I definitely agree with you Dlinker, even from what little I did today really blew me away with how well thought out the parts are.
I'm still considering some modifications after studying the manual for awhile, but I'll definitely be posting updates regularly, Wiz. Hope my work inspires you (;

On another note, finishing up that Blitz I started today; amazingly easy to cut and clean since the gating was very well done. He seems to be freaking out over his missing hands, doesn't seem to realize this just a test run!

Dlinker
April 7, 2014, 8:19 PM
Haha, that's a funny pic. Hmmm, the head being like that reminds me of the Romans for some reason.

Bossguy
April 8, 2014, 1:47 AM
Haha, that picture if the Blitz is pretty entertaining.

Glad you're having fun with the GP01 build. It's an impressive model.

thwalker13
April 8, 2014, 7:43 AM
The Blitz is looking really good. And Dlinker hit that one spot on, the head does look like a Roman helmet.

IamZero
April 8, 2014, 11:35 AM
I hope I'm not the only one that emotes the kits and imagines actual construction and test phases. If so I might need a break lol. After testing some kneeling poses on the frame, I couldn't help but notice that Shakespearean pose. I knew there was another familiar connection, but it didn't hit me until you both mentioned the Roman helmet. I guess I never paid enough attention to the heads without the Vfin. Are there any kits besides Sinanju Stein that go finless?

Just a few more pictures and testing of the Blitz I finished yesterday, before getting back to work on the GP01. I'm excited to start building the GP01 so I can at least start marking and placing some rivets and vents I want to add. Also have some ideas for mounting some discreet weapons on the shield and lining the edges with metal. So many nooks and crannies in this kit, don't know where to start. Until the next update, back to cutting and cleaning.

Once the armor and weapons came into play, the kit really jumped to one of my favorites so far. Something as simple as the blades in the heels that flip out can easily be used to help provide more balance to the kit if you're prone to more epic and wide stances.

The glepnir works much better than other reviews have mentioned. I was able to have it stick straight out with little hassle, although it looked strange straight out anyway.

Bossguy
April 8, 2014, 12:13 PM
That last pic is really dynamic, the way the angle is put at. You should do the same pose when the kit is finished. It'll look ten times cooler, haha.

Dlinker
April 8, 2014, 12:28 PM
You got a lot planned for that GP01. It's sounding more and more like a beast of a kit once completed.

I'm not really sure what other prominent kits go without a V-Fin. It's always nice to experiment and see how a kit looks without one, though. For example, the Blitz's head looking like a Roman helmet is giving me some customization ideas.

Do the side-skirts on that kit limit the degree of wide stances it can do? Doesn't look like it does, unlike some other SEED MG kits.

IamZero
July 25, 2014, 9:06 AM
It has been awhile since I have updated this thread... Ever since the site errors hit, between returning to work and continuing physical therapy, I have only had enough time to do straight snap builds and project planning. The most recent arrival to my collection has inspired me to do a WIP here on this thread though. I know that springing for the Neo Zeong might be a stretch for many, and since I have already taken the jump I might as well share some pictures and answer any questions about detail anyone might have.

Just a few shots of the Victory MG I just finished. Requires a lot of patience posing, and it really doesn't provide much articulation at all. The core system and transformation into different fighters is definitely worth putting up with little finicky details;; A very rewarding build.

Here is my next WIP. It arrived earlier than expected, great first order from ModelGrade. Not disappointed in the least with the service.

Dlinker
July 25, 2014, 11:08 AM
The Victory looks nice. I see that you didn't put in the decals. Probably saved you a bit of sanity, haha.

Seeing that pic of the NZ makes you the second person in this forum to have it. What do you have planned for it?

IamZero
July 25, 2014, 7:27 PM
Thanks, I'm thinking about hand painting the circular edges instead of the Victory, but Im working on that steadiness... For the monster I'm working on a color scheme, Black Hole Zeong. Gold frame, semi flat black armor, and silver/red detail throughout. Going to practice some more pre shading on the frame, but not too many ideas on what to do with all that flat surface. Definitely not ready to be scribing any of my own lines. But we'll see if I can think of anything when it's actually together.

- - - Updated - - -

http://s519.photobucket.com/user/legkyv/slideshow/Neo%20Zeong%20WIP
Just a few pictures of my progress today. It has a very basic design and construction, and yet I'm still very satisfied with the overall build and the way it is coming out. It's almost like building after being shrunk down by Szalinski lol. Keep forgetting theres a Sinanju in there... Hopefully will start prime/painting tomorrow.

Dlinker
July 26, 2014, 1:54 AM
Good lord, that thing truly is huuuuge. Just look at the hips; It takes nearly the entire table! I think it's a good thing you're doing much to it yet. Seems like a big project in terms of mod work.

thwalker13
July 26, 2014, 2:20 PM
Damn, it still blows my mind just how big that thing is. And if you're planning on painting it. I certainly cannot wait to see more progress.