PDA

View Full Version : GNZ's WIP thread

GNzaku0023
June 5, 2011, 5:39 PM
I got the idea for this thing when I started working on a Tyranid Trygon kit I got from a friend (I don't play warhammer 40k, but this thing looked cool so I went with it). It had a lot of spare pieces, so I thought, what if a custom built Zaku I sniper took this thing on, and what would it take as a trophy? So far, it's just been primed, but there's gonna be a lot of awesome detailing and even a small bit of battle damage. The shield and feet I stole from my Zaku II EFSF and the beam saber is from my 1/144 Akatsuki. Keep a look out for more updates!! (Btw, hand painting this one. I've really come to enjoy hand painting courtesy of Asterisk!!)

GNzaku0023
June 5, 2011, 5:45 PM
Forgot this picture :P

Zeta
June 5, 2011, 5:58 PM
That thing looks awesome!!

SilverFrameAstray
June 5, 2011, 9:23 PM
Lawlz that's actually pretty awesome. Did you thin those paints or does the black just cover really well that way. I love the hand btw.

GNzaku0023
June 5, 2011, 9:38 PM
These are citadel paints, and I have not thinned them yet. I've done about three coats over everything, but it does have really nice coverage. Using a primer before hand is highly recommended though.

GNzaku0023
June 6, 2011, 12:39 AM
New pics!! Enjoy!! (On the picture of the Head there's a little 23 painted on the side)

GNzaku0023
June 6, 2011, 12:42 AM
More pics, seeing as there's a limit of 5 per post XP
Both arms now have akatsuki beam saber handles mounted on them, and I added the Zudah's Heat hawk to the backpack unit. I painted the monoeye with a clear blue, and I have a few more mods to add to it before I'm done, and a whole helluva lot more painting to do.

Asterisk
June 6, 2011, 6:30 AM
Citadel paints are very hit or miss when it comes to their consistency. Sometimes you get a bottle that you can use straight as it came, other times you end up with what will look like a bottle of fancy colored mud. This thing looks pretty sweet, though. I can't wait to see it finished.

Kamari13
June 6, 2011, 11:54 AM
yeah I bought a few of the Citadel paints that looked like mud :/ but your right it is hit and miss , the last bottle of white that I bought was like that.

GNzaku0023
June 6, 2011, 4:16 PM
Almost done!! Still have a few more details I gotta take care of, but I'm getting there!!

SilverFrameAstray
June 6, 2011, 4:19 PM
That looks sweet mate. Though I think you should start investing in some other colors so that you aren't painting all of your kits the same 4 colors. As good as the color choice is, It'd be cool to see some drastic variety in your stuff...and neue ziel is still dead sexy.

GNzaku0023
June 6, 2011, 4:32 PM
I wanted to, but all I had was this and I had other priorities that my money needed to go to. So I just went with this.

Asterisk
June 7, 2011, 6:19 AM
Plus, I still haven't sorted through my paints to see what I have multiple bottles of.

I haven't forgotten, they're just remodeling the apartment this week and it's chaotic around here =/

GNzaku0023
July 13, 2011, 2:08 AM
Sooooo I got bored one day and decided, "Wow, my Trygon Zaku turned out pretty awesome... I want to make another kit bash/custom paint kit... but what to use? AHA! Beginning Gundam!!" So I grabbed beginning gundam and set to work sifting through my spare parts drawer. At first, I pulled out a set of the old 1/144 Wing gundam wings and thought that they would look decent, buuuuuut they didn't turn out as well as I thought. (Very disproportionate to the body) so I pulled them off and began from square one. I had found the cannon to an old Vayeaete kit and the two shoulder armor bits from a tallgeese III. Came to the idea that the tallgeese III shoulder pads would be great as an energy pack, and the cannon as the weapon (obviously lol). I also added a few things to make the cannon look a tad better, IE the GN-X foot cover on top and the Gaplant face mask underneath. Subtle but effective parts. I base coated the entire thing by hand and plan to start up with a gold/turquoise paint job. (Inspired by Sivir from League of Legends) Here's the only pic I have of it for now, and it's kinda hard to see, (thanks cell phone) but I hope you like it so far.

Exia
July 13, 2011, 2:20 AM
I was hoping for this:
http://www.freewebs.com/zoanthia/rajura11.jpg
But in a Gundam form.

GNzaku0023
July 13, 2011, 9:56 AM
What is that?

EDIT: Changed the name to Sutekh, the egyptian God of Darkness, chaos, deserts and storms. Thought that would be a more fitting name than the Goddess of Destruction.

Exia
July 13, 2011, 8:48 PM
Sehkmet from the Ronin Warriors.

Kenico
July 13, 2011, 8:55 PM
Dude i loved that show!
@GNZ0023 nice name for the project.

GNzaku0023
July 13, 2011, 9:04 PM
Sehkmet from the Ronin Warriors.

That's pretty funny, all things considered Sekhmet was an egyptian goddess lol :D

Kenico
July 13, 2011, 9:17 PM
sounds like a cool counter part of deathscythe if it were to be made into a gundam

Cernex
July 14, 2011, 12:33 AM
Hey, pretty slick Beginning Gundam. Looking forward to the gold and turquoise paint job

GNzaku0023
July 15, 2011, 11:20 PM
okay, sorry about the crappy quality images, but a cell phone camera is all I've got right now. Anyways, Update!!

SilverFrameAstray
July 16, 2011, 12:12 AM
Oooooooh. I am enjoying that chest there sir.

Kenico
July 16, 2011, 6:33 AM
Very impressive! and if im not mistaken, is that blue in certain parts? if So, Gold, Black, and Blue? never wouldve thought of that! Again VERY impressive sir!

....Let me rephrase that last sentence: VERY DAMN IMPRESSIVE SIR! and i mean that in a good way. Like Asterisk, I cant wait to see how it turns out!

Asterisk
July 16, 2011, 6:38 AM
Now THAT, my friend, is a damn fine design scheme. I look forward to seeing it upon completion.

GNzaku0023
July 18, 2011, 11:27 PM
More pics, again with my cell and they completely degrade the quality of everything, buuuut better to update than not. The goldy hieroglyphics (or rather my sad attempt at hieroglyphics) are Sutekh's. Still have a long way to go but coming along nicely.

Zeta
July 19, 2011, 12:16 AM
The colors look Egyptian.

GNzaku0023
July 19, 2011, 12:21 AM
That's the goal. It's named after the Egyptian God of Chaos

Kenico
July 19, 2011, 5:06 AM
Refresh my memory....which kit are you using?

Exia
July 19, 2011, 5:15 AM
Refresh my memory....which kit are you using?

I think it might be this one. http://www.gundamstoreandmore.com/ban965296.html

Kenico
July 19, 2011, 5:32 AM
Bingo!!!!!your right.btw, nice choice of kit to use. good bland kit to make a badass out of!

SilverFrameAstray
July 19, 2011, 5:49 AM
good bland kit to make a badass out of!

Excuse me sir, but you just made a mockery of one of my favorite mobile suit designs of all time. May it rain upon you for the next week.

Exia
July 19, 2011, 5:55 AM
Excuse me sir, but you just made a mockery of one of my favorite mobile suit designs of all time. May it rain upon you for the next week.

Seems semi-bland compared to this, http://www.gundamstoreandmore.com/ban967073.html

squeam
July 19, 2011, 6:15 AM
To each his and all, but I think the Beginning Gundam is anything but "bland". It looks quite different from most other Gundams and has a lot of little details and interesting geometry. I can agree that it's look is polarizing, but not "bland".

Exia
July 19, 2011, 6:20 AM
In my defense, I'm just comparing the two based of the 2 stock pics GSAM provides. They don't leave much details, but based upon the two and the pics provided the Beginning 30 Gundam looks more exciting than the Beginning Gundam.

squeam
July 19, 2011, 6:27 AM
The Beginning 30 is crazy with all its clear effect parts and extra armor pieces. If you want a more comprehensive look at the Beginning Gundam, you could always watch my video review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB0UAPWuDi0 (I just can't help myself).

Kenico
July 19, 2011, 7:02 AM

1000 apologies SFA! i meant no disrespect on beginning Gundam. allow me to rephrase that: Exia took a great kit and made it an even more of a badass! i hope this is a decent apology! and to any who read this: NO im not brown nosing SFA, im just correcting myself for the mislabeling of a kit. i could think of a whole lot of other kits that could be crowned with the title "BLAND".

Exia
July 19, 2011, 7:11 AM
I don't think I did anything. I think we took this thread way off topic.

Kenico
July 19, 2011, 7:21 AM
Agreed! well keep workin on BGs transformation into Sutekh and keep us posted and i cant wait to see it all done GNZ!LOL!

GNzaku0023
July 19, 2011, 9:44 AM
@Exia

The Beginning 30 felt like it had waay too much going on (and the kit is a brick). I liked the Beginning's design because it was complex yet simple.

@Kenyon
I'm the one doing this project not Exia... did you read the first post?

Kenico
July 20, 2011, 12:24 AM
Sorry about the mix up i guess when i saw the color scheme (and yes such small details can sadly do this to me) i forgot the fact that you not exia were the one workin on this project. my bad LOL! its my own nasty habit of mine. i can get a little absent minded and carried away.
back on topic, i look forward to seeing your completed project and from what im seein, its gonna be awesome.

GNzaku0023
July 25, 2011, 9:10 PM
Update time!! It's not done yet, still have touch up work to do, but it's getting there. Just as a refresher, the parts I used for the custom bits are as follows:
x2 Tallgeese III Shoulder Pads
x1 Racket booster from Gaplant
x1 GN-X Foot cover
x1 GN-X Claw
x1 Gaplant facemask
x1 1/144 Vayeate Cannon with plastic tube
x1 Tallgeese III V-fin

Also, taking advice on what to paint more on the kit. Kinda at a dead point. Any help is much appreciated!!
Here's pics!!

SilverFrameAstray
July 25, 2011, 9:35 PM
I feel like if you use a super super light blue, kind of pale, and do really thin details and trimming around some of the parts, it would bring the kit out a lot more. The color choice is flawless, don't sway from it. Just use another, lighter blue, to do some detail and it would look so nice.

I do enjoy the inside of that shield though sir.

RX-78-2
August 1, 2011, 1:38 PM
Need Now Need Now Need Now. So awesome by the way is that like a superman sinanju thing in the back

GNzaku0023
August 4, 2011, 5:55 PM
Currently a WIP, this is my kitbash GN Archer. I still have a lot to do to it before I'm satisfied, but I figured I'd put up the pics I have.
The gun is from the old 1/144 Tallgeese. It's a shortened Dober Gun. The shield is from HGUC Unicorn, and the shoulder pads are clearly from WZC. I did make it so that the shield can be mounted/dismounted with ease. The decals you see come from a variety of kits, to include HGUC Zudah, MG Destiny, MG Red Frame, and MG Crossbone. I feel like a lot of them came out very nicely on this kit.

GNzaku0023
August 4, 2011, 5:57 PM
Aaaaaand a few more pictures,

Cernex
August 4, 2011, 6:40 PM
NICE! Although, those knee-wings... didn't see them coming...

squeam
August 4, 2011, 6:47 PM
Those shoulders really acentuate the slimness and sleekness of the Archer. That is one kit that screams for an Action Base; put her in the air!

RX-78-2
August 4, 2011, 8:30 PM
that thing is freaking amazing i need that so bad

Kenico
August 4, 2011, 11:57 PM
First nice work on the paint job! looks clean and very subtle in smaller details(like the small differences in the Zeta blue *if im not mistaken* on the cockpit hatch, and the Wing Zero blue everywhere esle). Second, nice choice of puttin the EW Wing Zero shoulder pads on the Archer, looks very proportionate to the whole build (dont know wether this was intentional or necesstiy *meaning its all you had* but its still awesome). and third, and this is a question, whats that gun that shes holding? ive seen it b4 but i cant put my finger on it, anyway it still a beasting little POE (Piece Of Equipment) and its looking to look like an overall solid build. Good luck in its completion GNZ.

Exia
August 5, 2011, 12:02 AM
It's a shortened dober gun, it's said right in the first post.

Kenico
August 5, 2011, 12:18 AM
Musteve overlooked that detail LOL. it looked so cool i forgot to read :)

Asterisk
August 5, 2011, 8:10 AM
Now all you're missing is some sort of third arm to hold the dober gun, or something to attach it to the arm. It looks a tad awkward just being held by the handle that way.

maybe I have something we can rig it up with when you stop by tomorrow...

SilverFrameAstray
August 5, 2011, 3:36 PM
It does look really good. Saw it on Facebook initially....I'm tagged as a canister of paint...

I love the rear skirt piece. It just looks so good with the shoulders.

RX-78-2
August 6, 2011, 12:54 PM
I totally agree SFA.

GNzaku0023
August 7, 2011, 3:54 PM
Started on my Enact today. I'm really not a huge fan of this suit, and I really prefer it's brother the Flag, but regardless, got it on impulse and decided to go for a custom paint scheme on it.
On the "stomach" I painted the white, (which was a pain. I hate painting white) and all the red is going to become orange. The framework and other small details are going to become gunmetal.

GNzaku0023
August 7, 2011, 5:41 PM
More pics of the chest unit. Painting with the orange was getting very difficult so I decided to thin it and the results improved dramatically.

SilverFrameAstray
August 7, 2011, 6:53 PM
So if not this, what are you bringing to the build day?
Shipment comes tuesday btw, so when are we planning this? PM me.

Looks good though. I like that color scheme.

GNzaku0023
August 7, 2011, 6:55 PM
Don't worry. Come thursday I will have another kit.

Thank you for the compliment btw.

GNzaku0023
August 7, 2011, 10:32 PM
Another update!
This is all I'm going to get done tonight, but after many issues with my orange paint, I decided to revert to an orange Lacquer I hadn't opened yet.

SilverFrameAstray
August 7, 2011, 10:45 PM
Looking goooood. Very smooth man. Impressive.

GNzaku0023
August 7, 2011, 11:19 PM
I feel kinda meh about using spray paints again, as I love hand painting, but the orange is just being soo muddy

Zechs36
August 8, 2011, 4:51 AM
Looks great! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!

SilverFrameAstray
August 8, 2011, 2:35 PM
It's all good. My next project is gonna be spray painted. Close as I can to airbrushing for now. And yellow is a hard color to paint and get really solid. So don't be ashamed. We've seen what you can paint. It's nice to have kits that just looks flawless too.

GNzaku0023
August 8, 2011, 4:35 PM
Another Update!
Unfortunately, I kinda overloaded the feet with orange but I fixed that problem by adding gunmetal to the long foot horn.
Also, the front portion of the legs have been done in Gunmetal, and I'm spraying one of the leg sets right now. Sadly, I'm running out of paint and no funds to grab more is become a growing concern. :\
Also, hands and shoulder pads are done.

GNzaku0023
August 8, 2011, 5:47 PM
Getting there. I have one leg assembled, however, I'm now out of paints and out of funds to get said paints. :(
Oh well. Taking my sweet time with this kit anyways.

Zechs36
August 8, 2011, 9:23 PM
Lookin great dude!

GNzaku0023
January 11, 2012, 6:59 PM
Okay, so here's my latest undertaking, the HGUC Hygogg MSV Jerimiah Custom

GNzaku0023
January 11, 2012, 11:05 PM
Moving onto shoulders. You know, I came to realize that I hate painting large parts. I find they show brush strokes galore, despite the fact I thinned my paints and am using a large brush.

SilverFrameAstray
January 12, 2012, 3:27 AM
Wow that sucker IS big. Just hand to body comparison there. So, this is Jerimiah's custom colors for the fanfic or just something else?

Asterisk
January 12, 2012, 7:37 AM
I find they show brush strokes galore
Huh. I don't often have that problem. Might show me what brush you're using and your technique Saturday?

GNzaku0023
January 25, 2012, 8:47 PM
So got some new pics of my WIP EX-S Gundam, I'm working on super detailing it, albeit the backpack is killing me >.< Most of the main body is done. I had to paint the forearms black, the vents black, did some detail separation on the shoulders, panel lined, the decals are from various kits, the two on the shoulders being from the EX-S itself. I have a new way of applying my decals, mainly via use of exacto knife and Q-tip, and it's working pretty well so far. I painted the black on the side skirt guns, dry brushed with silver, and I painted the Incoms, the black parts on the knees, the little yellow side vents on the heel armor, and the black on the feet.

Gentaro
January 25, 2012, 8:59 PM
very nice!

CT SVT
January 25, 2012, 10:59 PM
looks good

GNzaku0023
January 29, 2012, 1:46 AM
So my EX-S has gone from a WIP to Work Almost Done, a few minor things here and there and it's good.

GNzaku0023
January 29, 2012, 1:48 AM
And some more pictures. The white came out a bit muddy in some places, but meh, what can I do?

GNzaku0023
February 23, 2012, 12:59 PM
So as of late, I've gotten into warhammer 40k, and I figured I'd post up my WIP army just to show off. Most of it's only basecoated right now, but I did manage to start painting my broadside (which I converted from a crisis suit)

GNzaku0023
February 23, 2012, 1:06 PM
Some more pictures. A friend of mine is working on that stealth suit in the first picture. The second picture is of two crisis suits.