PDA

View Full Version : Master Grades

Audio_Fiend
May 29, 2011, 7:17 AM
Does anybody have a list of the most recent Master Grades that have been released.

I wanna start building MG's but i would rather start with the most recent MG's.

Thanks in advance :D

Asterisk
May 29, 2011, 7:40 AM
Yes indeed. You can actually see a list AND complete review (in Korean) of every upcoming kit at Dalong (http://dalong.net/) here. 90% of the time, I consult this place before buying new kits.

squeam
May 29, 2011, 7:48 AM
Yes indeed. You can actually see a list AND complete review (in Korean) of every upcoming kit at Dalong (http://dalong.net/) here. 90% of the time, I consult this place before buying new kits.

Dalong is THE authority. But here's a little list of new kits from newest to oldest: Shenlong, Deathscythe Hell, ReZEL Commander, Qan[T], Deathscythe, The O, V-Dash, Full Armor Gundam, Musha Gundam Mk. II, Wing Gundam (anime version), Astray Red Frame, GN-X, Gundam 2.0 G3. I'm sure you can get some takes on these and many other kits here on the forum.

Kamari13
May 29, 2011, 11:16 AM
that's a pretty good list their squeam.

Audio_Fiend
May 29, 2011, 2:52 PM
Thanks a lot guys! Website is very helpful I want to start with MG's but dont wanna waste my money on a model thats not good detailed or has good articulation.

Any recommendations? I really want to get Strike Freedom, Aile Strike and the upcoming Epyon!
Thanks again for all the info!

squeam
May 29, 2011, 6:48 PM
The newest one that has nice detail and very nice articulation is the Wing Gundam. It also is pretty reasonable. The Astray Red Frame cost some extra cash, but is a VERY good MG. Between SF and Strike, I'd go for the Strike because the money vs. content ratio is better. Plus the Strike comes with a cool launchpad display base. Personally, I'd pick one of the Mk II 2.0 kits before any of those since their detail and articulation are off the charts (and Zeta Gundam is my fave series)! Why not the others? Well:

The O - I love it, but it is horribly overpriced for basically a scaled up HGUC kit.
G3 2.0 - Paying extra for a simple repaint never made a ton of sense to me; just get the original RX-78-2.
GN-X - just, meh...the GN-Xs I feel never really made a great transition to plamo. There are a lot of sacrifices made to articulation in order to get the design asthetic right.
Musha Mk II - Great kit, but quite expensive. Go for a regular Mk II 2.0 first.
Full Armor - Again, another 2.0 Gundam with stuff stuck on it. Literally: the way the armor attaches via the sticky pads doesn't seem the best Bandai could do.
V-Dash - Looks cool, but pricey. And the finished kit isn't very sturdy. A lot of display options, though, with 4 Core Fighters represented.
D-Hell - Almost would recommend this one, but I feel the others have a slight edge in value. If you love Deathscythe--GET IT! It is a super fun kit.
Deathscythe - see above. Another problem is some loose armor bits. (personally I like D-Hell better, that's why I bought it instead)
Qan[T] - Don't know enough about this one to really recommend it. I've just heard some negative things (not that that means much--lotsa 00 haters out there)
ReZEL Commander - If you like a lot of blue and spend a bucket of money for a big gun, this is the kit for you. Some concessions made for transformation here.
Shenlong - wait a bit and this kit will become a "bargain bin" kit, as it hasn't been a strong seller. Also, Altron/Nataku are probably coming soon. Kind of a basic kit.

Sorry for the novel, hope this helps. And bear in mind, these are just my (well informed and firsthand experience in many cases) opinions. Ask around to get a complete view on kits. Check YouTube for reviews. Maybe at TimberNewtype's channel...O, I'm a shameless self-promoter.

Audio_Fiend
May 30, 2011, 12:27 AM
Thank you for all the info Squeam!! Very helpful and im assuming "2.0" is the MG with the new articulation system? I'm a noob at this gundam models but am learning alot I started with the 1/100 HG EW
Custom models there fun but I want something more poseable and details!! That new Epyon coming out catches my eye!! And u said the MK II have the best detail and articulation?

Thanks to everybody

Kamari13
May 30, 2011, 12:37 AM
yep the 2.0's are the ones

Audio_Fiend
May 30, 2011, 1:35 AM
Which MG is the first one that started to use the "2.0" system?

squeam
May 30, 2011, 9:58 AM
List of 2.0 MGs from oldest to newest:

Mk II, Zeta, Mk II Titan's, Zaku II J, Char's Zaku II, Char's Gelgoog, Black Tri-Star's Zaku II, Zaku II F, Gelgoog, RX-78-2, J. Ridden's Zaku II, Matsunaga's Zaku II, GM, Gouf, G3 Gundam.

Bear in mind that just because a MG isn't a 2.0 doesn't mean it can't be great. The 2.0 kits were done because the original version's were getting old and Bandai wanted to do them right with the latest advances in plamo engineering. Many other kits benefitted from these do-overs, with a lot of the engineering crossing over to other kits of the time. Another thing about the 2.0s is that, esp. in the original MSG suits, the armor is a lot sleeker and truer to the anime look than some other kits that have been tweaked into more detailed kits, sometimes even with changes in the proportions/design asthetic. For example, if you want a more "realistic" looking Gundam, the 2.0 may not be for you since it looks straight from the anime. The One Year War version of the Gundam kit would be a good choice because its approach is to try and make the MS look like it could exist in our world. On the other hand, if you want something that captures the essence of the great suits you've seen on TV/Net, the 2.0 kits deliver anime accuracy and great INNER detail, without anything given up in articulation. Truthfully, I'm amazed at how they can make these 2.0s look so true, yet can move like freaking Domon Kashuu.

Kamari13
May 30, 2011, 2:07 PM
this is true one of my favorite Gundams is the grand daddy of them all the RX-78-2 and I have the 2.0 but my favorite out of all the ones I have of that suit is the O.Y.W. ( one year war ). Something else to keep in mind about the 2.O's is to much articulation can be a bad thing as rrobbert184 (http://www.youtube.com/user/rrobbert184) would say and I have and I'm sure others have delt with. Parts flying off while trying to pose the kit, so yes don't over look a kit just because it isn't a 2.O. Now on the other hand you could always try your hand at the RG (real grade) line yes they may be 1/144 scale but the go well past 2.O's and really do blur the lines of MG/PG in 1/144 scale in my option. :P

squeam
May 30, 2011, 3:53 PM
I concur with the OYW sentiments, Kamari. I have it, the Shin Musha (1.5/ver. Ka based), and the Full Armor (2.0 based) and I definitely prefer the OYW over the others overall (just speaking of the base kits, not the overall FA and SM). It has some super awesome mechanical details and wonderful articulation---and all for a very reasonable price. Plus you get your choice of colors between the PS2 version and the Anime version. The only knock on the kit is the lack of a FULL inner frame. For me, that's not a big deal as long as the kit is stable, which the OYW is. If you're just getting in the MG game and want Gundam, this is where I'd start. Although I've been known to recommend the Nemo as a wonderful choice for a starter MG.

Audio_Fiend
May 30, 2011, 7:47 PM
Squeam after much thought and research i have come to fall in love with the 2.0 Zaku II's (Black Trinity, Johnny Ridden, Shin, and of course Char) I will start with one of those! Thanks to everybody for the help now its time to decide which one to start off with first...........

Im using Gundamstoreandmore to get my first MG anybody else have any other stores you have bought from and recommend?
Thanks!

squeam
May 30, 2011, 8:47 PM
Good choice! It'll have you saying "Oh, cool! So that's how that works!" thorughout the build.

I am pretty loyal to GSAM, but have been known to go to robot4less.com to get something GSAM doesn't stock. But if GSAM carries it, no one else can touch their prices!

Audio_Fiend
May 30, 2011, 10:20 PM
Hows the shipping for GSAM cause I love my boxes! and dont want em damaged when i recieve them ( i live in california) and Robot4less is kool ive been to there actual store very nice shop and friendly atmosphere but kinda pricey!

*very Pricey

Im just deciding on what Zaku II 2.0 to start off with.

Audio_Fiend
May 30, 2011, 10:30 PM
Ok its decided Im getting first

Char's Zaku Ver 2.0 MS-06S

then

Gouf Ver. 2.0

they look wonderful!

Kamari13
May 31, 2011, 12:43 AM
the shipping is pretty good although some bubble wrap would be nice , the good thing is if your package does show up damaged do not open it and contact GSAM and they will take care of it for you plus you may get to keep the 1st one and get the same one sent out at no charge. I've had that happen once and I ended up with the 1st model and GSAM sent a replacement out to me , so in all I had 2 of the same model.

Audio_Fiend
May 31, 2011, 2:52 AM
Wow they do take care of there customers OK I am definitely going with GSAM Thanks for all the answers guys!

I will post my MG when I get it thanks 2 all.

Kamari13
May 31, 2011, 3:07 AM
glad to help :cool:

Asterisk
May 31, 2011, 7:17 AM
The Zaku 2.0 and Gouf 2.0 are great kits, I'm pretty sure you'll agree.

Worst damage I've ever had was a hole punched through the box lid of my HGUC Sinanju, but the kit itself was fine.

squeam
May 31, 2011, 9:16 AM
I've never had a single problem with shipping from GSAM. And I order from them frequently.

Asterisk
May 31, 2011, 12:23 PM
Frequent order? Man, you just don't even know. Until recently, I was making bi-weekly orders.

squeam
May 31, 2011, 12:31 PM
I feel you. Those DOTW kill me every time. Thankfully, they aren't every week or I think I'd need a 2nd job. Here's something fun: make a list of all your kits and find the MSRP in yen, then convert it. Oh yeah. That'll give you (and your wife, if you choose to tell her) some perspective. Or incentive...

SilverFrameAstray
May 31, 2011, 1:22 PM
I'm about to be coming into a great deal of money, so I will probably be buying tons soon.

Kamari13
May 31, 2011, 1:23 PM
I've had some issues, most of the time the boxes show up banged up and dented in ( not GSAM fault it's UPS)

Red
May 31, 2011, 6:14 PM
Need to scrounge a little more money before I buy any more kits. I'm working on the MG Infinite Justice right now and man oh man is it skyrocketing to be one of m favorite builds.

Kamari13
May 31, 2011, 6:19 PM
Need to scrounge a little more money before I buy any more kits. I'm working on the MG Infinite Justice right now and man oh man is it skyrocketing to be one of m favorite builds.

I've heard a lot of people say just how good of a build the I.J. is it's really making me re-think picking one up.

Red
June 1, 2011, 12:41 AM
You should. The articulation is pretty top-notch. It also comes with a bunch of weapons and beams and its magenta color is fabulously awesome. Like Angelo's Geara Zulu awesome. The only downside I can really find are the dull silver color that the joints come in and some of the pieces are pretty sensitive to snapping when trimming off nubs. For example, I was trimming off a nub of the white piece of its long head camera and one of the sides broke. I fixed it but it was quite a nuisance. I plan on going over the exposed joints in a silver to make it pop. So far I've only finished the upper body but it's turning out really well.

GNzaku0023
June 1, 2011, 12:59 AM
I just built the MG Destiny and MG Red Frame a while back, both are phenomenal kits, and I have no doubt the MG IJ is just as good. Some how MG SEED/Destiny Kits are really good.

squeam
June 1, 2011, 9:51 AM
Infinite Justice is in my Top 10 favorite MG builds. It was just...fun! You know how some kits just are a lot more fun to build than others? Well, this is one of them. All kinds of little mechanisms and sliding armor pieces, a positively insane amount of intricate surface detailing (esp. on the inner frame), a multitude of colors (IMO that Sauper's GZ pink is good, but IJ's deep, wine-y pink blows it away) and perfect proportions. When you're done, you have a massively weaponized, crazy articulate kit that "pops" on the shelf. And don't let that gigantic backpack fool you; the IJ's locking mechanisms keep it from becoming floppy.

Kamari13
June 1, 2011, 6:01 PM
awesome then I will be grabbing a IJ in the near future.

Audio_Fiend
June 3, 2011, 2:19 PM
Does anybody here ever been to Frank & Sons a huge warehouse of vendors in California

Kamari13
June 3, 2011, 10:09 PM
nope can't say that I have.

SilverFrameAstray
June 4, 2011, 6:22 PM
>Frank and Sons
>Opposite end of the nation

Nope. However come January I will be frequenting trips to GSAM's warehouse.

Zeta
June 4, 2011, 7:39 PM
Where is is it in California? North, Central, or South? I would very much like to go there since I live in California.

squeam
June 4, 2011, 9:07 PM
>Frank and Sons
>Opposite end of the nation

Nope. However come January I will be frequenting trips to GSAM's warehouse.

Wha?! How's that work? I wanna go again!

Zeta
June 4, 2011, 10:38 PM
Wha?! How's that work? I wanna go again!

I would love to go to see the GSAM warehouse! I'll have to seriously save some money if I should decide to go there (considering I live about 1,500 miles away).

Audio_Fiend
June 7, 2011, 12:22 AM
GSAM sounds like heaven!

Frank and sons is a good place Zeta they have a website and im going this weekend :D

Zeta
June 7, 2011, 12:45 PM
GSAM sounds like heaven!

Frank and sons is a good place Zeta they have a website and im going this weekend :D

It is. It actually stands for Gundam Store And More. They have a great selection of kits at almost unbeatable prices.

SilverFrameAstray
June 7, 2011, 3:28 PM
Yup, I'll be going to college in northern Ohio, so driving a couple hours to the warehouse, no big. That and they can actually meet one of the peoples who moderate their forums.

Skittles
June 7, 2011, 3:55 PM
Yup, I'll be going to college in northern Ohio, so driving a couple hours to the warehouse, no big. That and they can actually meet one of the peoples who moderate their forums.

January, huh? Maybe once snow-season is over, we can plan a trip for the same day - if that doesn't sound too weird.

SilverFrameAstray
June 7, 2011, 5:16 PM
January, huh? Maybe once snow-season is over, we can plan a trip for the same day - if that doesn't sound too weird.

No not at all haha. I'll be going to college at UNOH so I'll be there for about 3-4 years. I've had build days with a couple people on the forum, so it would be totally chill to actually go and meet up at GSAM or something. I kind of want to somehow make trips to meet all of the senior members before I leave the U.S.

Kamari13
June 8, 2011, 1:32 AM
leave the U.S. O.o I must have over looked something in one of your post.

SilverFrameAstray
June 8, 2011, 1:35 AM
leave the U.S. O.o I must have over looked something in one of your post.

Lawlz. Nah I Just plan on moving to Ireland with my girlfriend after college is over. We have plans for it, and I'd love to see them go through. I wonder how into GunPla Ireland is.

Kamari13
June 8, 2011, 1:40 AM
lol , I'm sure you 2 will make it come true and not sure how much they are in to GunPla over there.

squeam
June 8, 2011, 5:56 AM
Very hard and expensive to get Gunpla in Ireland, but there are some great builders over there. Like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wizartar and this dude: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZR0Ver2 But yeah, they both have complained about how notoriously difficult it is for them to get Gunpla.

Audio_Fiend
June 8, 2011, 9:12 PM
i wish I lived around the GSAM wharehouse so i would save on shipping -____-

I finished my MG strike Freedom today! its missing the left leg cause of missing pieces that bandai JP is sending to me for free!

squeam
June 19, 2011, 9:22 PM
Hey, everyone: never buy a TT Hongli kit! Ever. Ever.

ever

GNzaku0023
June 19, 2011, 9:32 PM
Hahaha I take it you got started on that knockoff contest entry?

squeam
June 19, 2011, 10:17 PM
Hahaha I take it you got started on that knockoff contest entry?

Yes, the time has come. Wow! These things are junk. You know, I didn't expect greatness but the best term to describe this thing is barely adequate. The plastic quality is spotty at best, the nubs are enormous and the details are very lackluster. And I haven't even begun attempting to snap it together...who knows what nightmares await me. So it must be in my quest for penance...

Audio_Fiend
June 21, 2011, 7:41 AM
Ive seen these knockoffs around never even thought about buying those ew

I just completed my 2nd MG Chars Zaku 2.0! I will post pics later on