PDA

View Full Version : "If I Ran the BANDAI Injection Machine"

squeam
May 27, 2011, 10:19 PM
What if you were in charge of Bandai's model production? What would you get rid of/stop making? What would you keep?

Now, we already have a thread or 2 for kit wishes, so this is more along the lines of actual runners, parts, and engineering. I'll start:

1) Ditch the "Wing" style MG hands. Either tabbed 3,1 + thumb or a host of fixed hands ala the newer HGUC models. I
hate those hands and want something universal.

2) While on the hand gripe, Why o why can't my HGUC Nu Gundam dual-wield???? Gore-rammit I want my MS to hold weapons in the left hand, too! It seems the majority of builders would rather have that than an open hand/"grabby" hand.

3) Don't mekki-plate or titanium finish or gloss coat or HD-ify a kit without undergating the nubs. If it's not designed for it, don't do it.

4) Keep on rolling that "00" HG articulation! So many advances with those, so nice.

Kamari13
May 28, 2011, 2:30 AM
1) I would make HG's have all of the movement of the RG's and work my way up to the MG's.
2) I would include English trans. in all Gundam Manual's and I would open Spare Part Orders open to the whole market.
3) I would include L.E.D.'s in all OO kits and every other kit that should have them.

Asterisk
May 28, 2011, 6:30 AM
3) Don't mekki-plate or titanium finish or gloss coat or HD-ify a kit without undergating the nubs.

Fun Fact: The HGUC Hyaku Shiki has full undergating, save for a couple of spots that are otherwise covered, or implausible. The one with the hyper super mega gigantic bazooka isn't plated, but still has these undergates. I've been considering picking one up, spraying the runners white. Bam, affordable Byaku Shiki.

squeam
May 28, 2011, 7:51 AM
Hmm...good to know Asterisk. I have HGUC Hyaku Shiki on my list (to complete my HGUC Zeta collection) but I was going to go for the BFG HS, cuz I didn't want big old black gate marks on the armor; now, I think I'll go for the regular one.

Kamari13
May 28, 2011, 11:11 AM
make sure you post a review on your channel squeam :D:D

squeam
May 28, 2011, 1:31 PM
I will, as always, kamari.

OT: I'd keep the manual feature on some kits that has a little diagram showing exactly what runners are used on each step of the build. Those are super helpful if you don't have a lot of room to build.

Skittles
June 5, 2011, 8:39 PM
I like the open hands on HGs. I'll take a set of open (or even a slightly curled) hands and a set of 'gun/saber holding' hands.

Finally make 1/144 Astray Gold Frame, since that mold has the undergates and there was never a Gold Frame made, in the end...

Include far more of those basic black stands with 1/144 kits. I keep digging through unbuilt kits and 'borrowing' whatever I find...

Start a program for people to send back runners for recycling into Ecopla.

squeam
June 5, 2011, 8:50 PM
All flying kits need stands. The end.

GNzaku0023
June 5, 2011, 8:54 PM
Well, I just got done building the Tyranid Trygon (WH40k) and I noted something that I would totally jump on. Variations. Lot's of little parts that allow you to create your own unique variation on the unit. I wish that they would do this for all kits. Mainly MP suits, but even a few on actual Gundams would be nice.

I would also ship a wide variety of hands/manipulators for each kit. Open dramatic hands/closed fists/dual wielding/ right AND left trigger hands, ect ect

The last thing I would do, pump out a new HGAC line, for all of us who loved Wing's suits. Leo's, Ares', Taurus (Which I've wanted forever), Virgo, ect. I would kill for a new HG Wing line.

SilverFrameAstray
June 5, 2011, 9:17 PM
Little box kits. I mean stuff like extra weapon packages where you can get beam sabers or guns or shields. It's cool that Kotobukiya makes a lot of awesome stuff, but replacement weapons and everything else would be so nice. Or maybe more in depth builds of certain weapons. Rather than just two casts that fit together and have a handle/clip/optic.

Custom decal creation set. It would be so nice to be able to put custom decals on. Makes the kit even more personal, and it could be super hard to paint something tiny and intricate that you came up with.

I would make all HG zeon kits have an actual moving monoeye piece that wasn't just a black stripe and pink dot. All it needs is a little wheel with a eye piece, and you could just take the top of the head off, spin the wheel, and there you have it.

Back on the little box kit bits, other backpack pieces. A little custom som'in som'in for HGUC feddie/zeon suits. Change them from basic infantry and give them specific roles. There are sniper GM/zakus, but what about say an anti-artillery/ship zaku/gm. Sure there's the M-Top or 180mm, but what about a certain thruster pack or weapon pack that makes them a bit more suited for the job. Maybe it holds more ammo, has slots for the clips, or braces the giant weapon for less recoil with some spring-like bit to ease the movement.

But yeah. Kind of some stuff I would gladly help design.

squeam
June 5, 2011, 10:17 PM
I agree with the add-on kits. Like the Core Booster kit to turn Victory into V-Dash, smaller packages like this helps Bandai by letting the consumer choose what he/she wants without requiring them to pay a lot. And why let companies like Kotobukiya make all the money with their M.S.G. weapons? It's pretty obvious what demographic they target.

I like the idea of options with kits, but it would be a fine line to walk to keep the prices reasonable. I think that Bandai could afford to delete some of their "episode specific" parts (for example, Gelgoog 2.0's little car) to allow for say, a right AND left weapon holding hand. The HGUC Nu Gundam includes three beam effect parts for 2 beam sabres, a beam rifle, shield and bazooka...but only one hand can hold weapons. I know I'd make a compromise on a beam part to have Nu wield a beam rifle and sabre at the same time.

Another thing: how bout some more English in those manuals? Thank you.