PDA

View Full Version : DesertTiger's W.I.P. thread

DesertTiger
August 17, 2013, 8:41 PM
The start of this will mostly be for feed back as I paint my first Gundpla. Then after that I'll just start posting pictures as I manage to build/paint the other models I have sitting in boxes in my room.

I did my first primer today (by first I mean first ever, in history, not first layer). I circled the two that I had issues with.
http://i39.tinypic.com/2eegbxx.jpg
The first is the foot, it seems a little thin to me. It's not really a big deal considering its the bottom of the foot, but it's a good example. Don't ask me why I'm painting the bottom of the foot, I want to, judge me. Haha. Anyways, is this too thin or just right for the primer?
http://i42.tinypic.com/29yk3cx.jpg
The next is where I got too much on it, tried to correct it and it just smeared. I'm not terribly worried about it, just for future reference, what's the best way to fix too much primer?
http://i43.tinypic.com/30c6pav.jpg

I live in an apartment and am crunched for space, is it safe to leave them inside to dry/cure or should I leave them outside on the deck or in the storage closet on my deck? Thanks guys and I'll keep you posted on this first venture into painting.

Wiz33
August 17, 2013, 9:31 PM
Did you airbrush or use cans? If AB, then I think you thinned the primer a bit too much. As long as you can have some windows opened, it should be save to let it drive indoor.

DesertTiger
August 17, 2013, 10:23 PM
I used a can, I'm using Testor's Enamel Spray paints for this build. I can't afford the AB just yet, it'll probably be a Christmas request. The foot was the thinnest of the pieces, this is what most of them look like.

Does that look good? I wasn't sure if the primer is supposed to be a full coat or just a little on there.

Dlinker
August 18, 2013, 12:09 AM
Having some of the color still showing underneath after a layer of primer doesn't pose much of an issue. If anything, that's better than spraying too much; spray too little, you can fix by spraying more later on whereas spraying too much means you'll run the risk of losing details and/or creating an uneven surface. You're free to spray until you don't see the original color though; it's not an absolute no-no. I do that from time to time, especially if I'm changing to a really different color (like painting a yellow part with a blue color).

Regarding the parts you sprayed, they look good to my eyes.

For storage, if you can't smell any fumes when in your storage closet, then put them in there. If you do smell something, then perhaps it's best to leave them outside for a few hours, then bring them in.

DesertTiger
August 18, 2013, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the info! I noticed on two of the pieces it looks like its flaking a little. What could that be from? Did I just not wash that particular piece well enough or is it related to the humidatity (it's raining here) or just how I sprayed it? Speaking of washing, how vigorous do you clean your pieces? I'll hopefully prime the rest of the pieces and add my first layer of base color to these pieces sometime tomorrow afternoon/night since I have an off day.

Wiz33
August 18, 2013, 11:14 PM
I use a fine mesh kitchen strainer and a bowl of soupy water, Put all the parts in the strainer. Immerse it into the bowl of soupy water and stir/rub them around with my fingers for about a minute and then stir/rinse it under slow running warm water for a minute or 2.

Dlinker
August 18, 2013, 11:57 PM
The flaking could be due to humidity (due to rain) and/or parts that are still a bit greasy. Can't really fault the spraying method if the other parts are just fine.

I wash my pieces with dishwashing soap and a toothbrush. Put some soap down in a little container, dip the toothbrush a bit along with some warm water, then scrub away at the part for a few seconds. Afterward, dump them in a container of warm water. Then I stir those parts and rinse a couple of times before straining them with a mesh strainer and transferring on some clean shop rags for drying. For really small parts, I just put them in a container with a mix of warm water and dishwashing soap, rub them around, then strain and dry.

thwalker13
August 19, 2013, 7:49 AM
Parts are looking really good. Much better than I did the 1st time around. So what are you plans? Are you going with an original scheme or a custom one?

DesertTiger
August 19, 2013, 8:35 AM
I'm looking to do a custom scheme. It's going to have a gun metal grey for the frame. Then I'm going to put the armor as mostly black with some red thrown through out on certain pieces. I'm still working out the full paint details but that's the general gist of it.

thwalker13
August 19, 2013, 12:23 PM
I think that will look really cool man. Can't wait to see it.

DesertTiger
August 20, 2013, 9:58 AM
It's been raining excessively here so I haven't been able to paint anything (I'm in an apartment with 3 other guys and ventilation inside is pretty poor). My Virtue has been put on hold until it clears up so I've been working on coming up with paint schemes for my other models and putting together my MG Tallgeese. I'm not painting the Tallgeese except a few hand painted details and then a glossy topcoat on each individual section as I go. Here's the head waiting on the top coat.
It was my first time ever hand painting, doing seam lines and panel lining. The grey painting is a little sloppy and my seam lines could use some help but all in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I also like the green visor (I forgot that Tallgeese has a blue visor and was too lazy to fix it after my first coat). I'm waiting for the glue on the red mane to finish drying so I can spray the top coat on it. I think I'm going to test out the top coat on something else (like the tree maybe) to see how I should apply it for my desired effect.

Here is the front and back of the chest piece. I'm going to do some panel linings and seam work either later today or tomorrow night after work. I'd like to replace the circles with some small BBs or beads but I think that's a little out of my league ATM and I'll save that for another project.

thwalker13
August 20, 2013, 10:39 AM
The Tallgeese is looking really good man. What are you using for your panel lines?

DesertTiger
August 20, 2013, 10:59 AM
Just a black Gundam Marker.

thwalker13
August 20, 2013, 12:27 PM
Ah ok. I didn't know if you were painting them or using a wash method.

DesertTiger
August 21, 2013, 12:10 AM
Sprayed my first layer of topcoat on the head of my Tallgeese today. Sadly it made my gundam marker run just a little but it doesn't really matter to me, it doesn't look HORRIBLE but it's not as clean as I want it to be. I'm going to add another layer tomorrow afternoon. As well as put one on the body. If the weather holds up of course. Just as I went to put a layer of base coat on my Virtue pieces it started raining so sadly I didn't get to put it on. Hopefully I can knock out a lot of stuff tomorrow and the next day since I don't work,weather permitting of course.

V0LTES-V01
August 21, 2013, 12:34 AM
How many projects are you working on??

DesertTiger
August 21, 2013, 1:01 AM
Just two. The weather and my lack of inside ventilation has limited me on what I can do with my 1/144 Virtue so I started up my MG Tallgeese that I'm just doing panel lines on, doing small hand painting details and that's it. Nothing terribly overwhelming. I don't think I could handle trying to paint two models at once.

thwalker13
August 21, 2013, 7:43 AM
I've had that top coat issues happen on me a few times with a few kits. I've almost quit using my Gundam Marker because of it.

DesertTiger
August 21, 2013, 11:01 AM
Attempted my first paint today while the weather was still clear. I personally think it was a train wreck. The red turned out alright but the black was all over the place. Some parts are way too heavy. I'm not going to fix it, I'm just going to go with the flow since it's just the Virtue, but I do have the other colors to improve my technique on. I'm going to put together some more clips and hopefully prime the rest of the pieces tonight if it doesn't rain as well as add another layer of top coat to the head of my Tallgeese and maybe put a layer on it's body if I'm in the mood.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2004rki.jpg

thwalker13
August 21, 2013, 11:35 AM
Spray painting takes a lot of practice. Took me awhile to get used to it. From the pic though everything looking good. If the paint is enamel, then it should settle down a bit as it dries. As long as there isn't a ton of paint on the part.

DesertTiger
August 26, 2013, 7:14 PM
Finished up the Tallgeese today, it's just waiting on some small paint areas to dry over night then it'll get it's top coat and be complete. It wasn't a hard build at all, but I'm glad it's done. I'm not overly fond of all the stickers/decals on it. It kind of seems like over kill, so in the future I'll probably cut back on them and see which ones fit with future kits. The fins on the backpack are Blue Angel Yellow which is lighter than the rest of the orange/yellow but I like how it looks so I'm not going to bother touching it up. I'll probably ask for an action base some time in the future for it but I'm in no rush for that since I'm lacking space at the moment to really display my kits since my unbuilt kits are in the way.

I'm waiting on my Virtue parts to dry so i can primer the last bit of pieces. I'm hoping to get them done in these next few days since my work schedule is light. It's hard to get work done when you're working from 5-1130 every night then you have class during the day, but I'll hopefully find time. I've found myself hand painting a lot of the smaller Virtue parts because they're too much of a pain to put on clips.

Dlinker
August 27, 2013, 1:11 AM
Looks like excellent work and the minimal decals don't pose an issue. Could use some bigger pics, though. They look tiny in my screen, haha.

thwalker13
August 27, 2013, 7:47 AM
From the pics, it looks like a good solid build. Great work good sir. And I think the decals suit the kit myself.

DesertTiger
August 29, 2013, 12:24 PM
I did all this yesterday just never had time to take pictures, sit down and update. I applied primer to the last set of white pieces, so they'll be drying for a few days before I paint them. I also put down a layer of base color on the white and grey pieces. I made a mistake and grabbed the wrong grey and didn't realize it until I was done with half the pieces and really took a look at them. It's more light than my other shade of grey (Aircraft is what I used, I meant to use Panzer grey). I'm not going to be bother to change it as this kit is mostly for learning techniques and things like that, not so much getting it perfect.
http://i40.tinypic.com/2q9dlvn.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/1z6ec1j.jpg

My goal is to have everything painted, assembled and ready for top coat by next Friday. Until then I'll probably start taking part, denubbing, seam lining and things of that nature on my Sword Impulse. My next two kits (Sword Impulse and Destiny) are no grade 1/100 so they're also going to be just warm up pieces before I tackle my MGs.

thwalker13
August 29, 2013, 12:35 PM
The coats of primer look really nice and even. I don't think that the slight shade difference in the greys will make to much of a difference. If at all.

Bossguy
August 29, 2013, 12:54 PM
Very nice job on the coats. They're really even.

Dlinker
August 29, 2013, 1:07 PM
Meh, nobody is going to make a big deal out of a "mistake" like that so you're all good. Personally, I think that shade fits better with the white. No issues with priming this time?

DesertTiger
August 29, 2013, 1:56 PM
Nope, priming went smooth this go around. I took shorter strokes and a lot less strokes. I really think I was wasting about 30-40% of the can just by spray to early/long on my passes over the pieces. Also the weather was nice so humidity wasn't too big of an issue.

Wiz33
August 29, 2013, 2:39 PM
Looks good. It's all experience. The more you do, the better you get.

DesertTiger
August 31, 2013, 12:09 AM
With my Virtue all painted and waiting to dry so I can assemble and top coat it, I decided to start on my Impulse. I put all the pieces on skewers and managed to get them all primed before work earlier. I'll post a picture of it when I wake up tomorrow. After I finish this Impulse though my thread will probably die for a while because I'll be focusing on my Zeta for the HobbyLink competition. I got bored today and opened that up and it took me 2 hours to get just one foot exactly how I wanted it with denubbing, decals and all the panel lines. So I can already tell that kit will take me forever.

Dlinker
August 31, 2013, 1:56 AM
Is that Zeta your first RG kit? If so, then it's guaranteed to take you a long time, haha.

DesertTiger
August 31, 2013, 10:39 AM
Yea it is, and I'm going super slow on it because I want to get it perfect. Not just for the competition but it looks like it'll be a beautiful kit so I want to do it justice with my effort. I think I'm going to put it aside for a bit so I can practice my panel wash on my Virtue and Impulse to get my feet wet before doing the Zeta.
Anyways, here are the pieces I primed yesterday. One or two of them I forgot to shake the can and it sputtered out and put too much on there but I'll just sand those guys down and redo them. Also I had a brain fart back when I first started taking this apart and had put the legs together and glued them so I had to make shift mask them.....that was a pain to say the least.
http://i39.tinypic.com/161mjcy.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/2w6gu15.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/dc5z5e.jpg

Do you guys think I should do another layer on the red or no? Also, the back pack there is where it over sprayed, I tried to wipe it off and it just sucked haha.

Bossguy
August 31, 2013, 10:46 AM
Nice job! I would do another coat on the red, though it's fine to leave it if you're just going to paint it a different red.

Dlinker
August 31, 2013, 1:18 PM
Looking very nice there. Each of those parts seem to have a good smooth coat of primer.

If you're not going to change from a red on those red parts, you should be fine with that layer of primer.

Wiz33
August 31, 2013, 2:44 PM
I tends to use thin primer coats as I want as thin a layer of primer, paint, clear coat (within reason) as I can get on the finished kit (before panel line and sticker /decal) so it won't cover up any panel lines or details. I feel no need for the primer to completely cover the original color unless you are planning on spraying on a much lighter color than original. I can usually see a bit of the original color after I primed.

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y470/Wiz13688/Models/P1000288_zps29d25cd9.jpg (http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/Wiz13688/media/Models/P1000288_zps29d25cd9.jpg.html)

You can see that my red are just like yours., then they look like this after I put on the color:

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y470/Wiz13688/Models/P1000299_zps8b70e183.jpg (http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/Wiz13688/media/Models/P1000299_zps8b70e183.jpg.html)

DesertTiger
October 8, 2013, 10:43 AM
Dang it's been a while since I've posted. Anyways, I'll give you a little update on where I am. I've finished the build on my RG ZZ and it's sitting on my shelf waiting to be panel lined/painted, I haven't quite decided which route I want to take with it. In the mean time I decided to enter my Liger Zero into that HLJ competition and have been working primarily on that. I'm about 70% done with what I want to do. I still need to panel line the back legs, add some minor hand brushing for extra detail and possibly do a little shading/weathering.

On a side note I got bored one day and decided to try my hand in battle damage/weathering. I used a 1/100 Destiny's shield that I don't plan on ever doing anything with and will be using for other things. I didn't paint this and it was my first experience with the Tamiya Weathering set. I'll probably try dry brush next time to see what kind of effects that will produce for me.
http://i42.tinypic.com/2ufd1ti.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/30j4509.jpg

Dlinker
October 8, 2013, 12:07 PM
Apply some washes to that shield to add a bit of depth in addition to a bit of dry-brushing and I think it will be a winner. Already, the damage looks appropriate.

thwalker13
October 8, 2013, 12:17 PM
I agree with Dlinker. I like the look of the shield. The battle damage looks great, add a bit more depth to it and it'll look awesome.

DesertTiger
March 20, 2016, 8:22 PM
Good Lord, it has been almost 3 years since I last updated this. Granted it has been that long since I really did anything Gunpla related. Between work, school, and family emergencies I just haven't had the time, energy nor motivation to open it back up. Anyways, I have now. And I have no supplies. Somewhere in the two moves I've made my paints have gone missing, my air brush was damaged, and the paints I do have I can't find the thinner nor cleaner for. So all of that stuff has been ordered and is due to arrive this week....hopefully.

I started working on a large scale diorama a few years back and am still going at it. Very slowly but going none the less. I have a general idea of how I want it to be in my head and luckily when I started two years ago I printed out pictures of every kit involved and drew out the battle damage I had planned for each one so I have that. Below are the kits involved. The far right are primed kits. Second to the right are kits waiting to be primed. Next are kits that are done but need either seam lines done or battle damage applied. And the far left haven't been touched. The battle scene kit on the bottom left I'm just using for the 2 tanks in it, I also have the federation version of it as well that has its two tanks already primed.

I plan on putting digital camo on one of the sides I just haven't decided which nor what I want to do with the other side. I feel like their basic paint schemes aren't realistic to warfare (you're not going to have a bright red and white machine trying to fight in a forest...contrary to the anime/manga lol)

I've also got my Kampfer and Liger Zero Jager out. The Kampfer needs to be painted and detailed while the Jager hasn't even been snap fitted yet. Every now and then I just need to change it up and work on something else.

DesertTiger
April 2, 2016, 9:11 PM
Because of moving within the next few months for work I decided the diorama should go back in its storage box until I'm settled 100% and can dedicate a display place for it (moving something that large would be a pain). In the mean time I have been transferring my large assortment of Tamiya paints I got from my friend into dropper bottles. As you can see it's a pain...I didn't want to spend money on some tamiya stirring sticks so I just took an old close hanger and cut it up into little rods and use those.
http://i67.tinypic.com/vxdjs6.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/263wp51.jpg

I snap built my Sinanju Stein today because I had the day off but didn't feel like leaving the house. Once it was together it looked like a solid kit but I decided I wanted to spice it up. With the announcement of that nice looking new Freedom I decided I'd use my old one (from like 2008) and kitbash it with my Stein. I plan on taking it's "wings" and hip guns and mounting them onto my Stein.
http://i66.tinypic.com/5nmy6e.jpg

I played with it for a while and the pegs for the wings were too small for the Stein so I filled the pegs in with some Tamiya putty and will let that dry for a day or two and drill out my peg holes. I am thinking of painting the Stein in a basic Sinanju red/black color scheme so I can use my CJ Hobby thrusters with it....or maybe leave it the standard color and save the thrusters for my real Sinanju....
http://i64.tinypic.com/2r7awps.jpg

Darzer
April 2, 2016, 9:30 PM
Looks good, keep going.

gundammonkey
April 2, 2016, 11:53 PM
welcome back desertTiger! Quick question. I see a bunch of you guys have the paint in the dropper bottles, but I want to know the labels you have did you print those out from someplace? I have a bunch of Tamiya paints and they didn't come with those nice hexagonal shaped labels like you have.

DesertTiger
April 3, 2016, 9:25 AM
Yea they don't come with those....go to https://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/feature.php?article-id=72#.VwEYEfkrKUk and print out the chart you need (for instance I printed out the 23ml XF and the 23ml X because I had the 23ml bottles) onto labels. I fit one entire chart on a full page shipping label as I already had some sheets laying around from my camo.
http://i63.tinypic.com/2yvq8h3.jpg

gundammonkey
April 3, 2016, 10:29 AM
Cool beans thanks