PDA

View Full Version : TimberNewtype/squeam's CONTEST!

squeam
April 24, 2011, 8:39 AM
So my YouTube channel has reached 100 subscribers and I've decided to host a little 2 part contest!

CONTEST #1

I made the terrible mistake of buying 2 knockoff MGs a while ago (I know, I know). I immediately regretted the decision and since they've been here, they have been shoved under my "To Build" table, languishing away. Everytime I try to build one, I open the box and get so discouraged that I just put 'em back away. So...I would like to have some ideas on what to do with one of them. I have the Hi-Nu and the Unicorn. You can comment here, the contest video's comment section, my YouTube channel page or post a video response. I'm looking for anything: paint schemes, build ideas, kitbashes, suggestions for literally "bashing the kit", whatever. On June 2nd, I'll pick my favorite and begin following through on the winning idea.

CONTEST #2

This part is a Custom Kit Build. Bandai makes variant kits like Mr. Bushido's Ahead, Ramba Ral's Zaku, etc. I would like to see some ideas for other pilots that aren't necessarily "canon". Things like Setsuna's Kyrios, Master Asia's Burning, or even from different universes--maybe Shinn's Unicorn. Basically, take any pilot and stick him/her in a MS they've never flown: what would it look like? Top marks go to most inventive scheme. Quality of build will be considered, but is not the determining factor, as I would like to give ones new to the paint game a fair shake. Only Bandai HG and SD kits, please.

squeam
April 24, 2011, 8:42 AM
Oh yeah, almost forgot:

PRIZES!!!
I have a GFF #0004 RX-78-2 + G-Armor and a HGUC RX-78-2 G30th to give away. Both are brand new. The winner of the custom kit part of the contest can pick which of the 2 he/she wants.

Deadline for both parts is June 1st. I hope a lot of you can enter in one or both contests! HAVE FUN!

Here's a link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAultz5tNdc

SilverFrameAstray
April 24, 2011, 4:22 PM
Char's Zudah (with a god radiator) 9x faster than the regular zaku II

And kitbash...hmm.

Unicorn obviously gets the funnels, but have the hi-nu head with the unicorn v-fin. I think the canisters on hi-nu need to go straight up on either side of UC's back.
Maybe an orange color scheme with a maroon and white trim. If it's psycho frame then a blazing bold yellow or gold would look nice. Maybe some thin light teal strips emphasizing the edge of the chest/shoulder/tasset would look nice.

Shall wait patiently >~<

squeam
April 24, 2011, 9:40 PM
Tell me about that waiting....I made myself go for June 1st as the deadline so people had sufficient time for working on their custom kits. It's only been a day and the wait is killing me!

Skittles
April 24, 2011, 10:48 PM
I spent part of the day brainstorming with a friend and I'm super-excited about this (and we figured out some fun things to try to make, in general).

So here are a couple questions.

Is more than one entry per person permitted?

Are 1/100 and 1/144 non-grade kits allowed? (e.g. SEED/00 1/100s are non-graded, Wing 1/100s are HG iirc)

I'm excited, since it was utterly impossible for me to try to enter the last GSAM custom contest. The time frame was too short when I didn't have a single full day off anywhere in there.

squeam
April 25, 2011, 6:38 AM
Yes. To all questions. And, I think I'm more excited that you all are gonna enter! :D

Skittles
April 25, 2011, 1:20 PM
Awesome, thank you! And I will be trying out something new - I bought some spraycans, however, it's not been warm enough to try them yet. But it definitely will be in the next few weeks.

I just printed out lineart to color for Project #1 (with colored pencils at work -- great way to get through slow periods) - got a couple other kits I want to finish first, but they shouldn't take too long.

squeam
May 3, 2011, 8:43 PM
So this contest thing got a little crazy! I've caught the attention of Uber-Gundam Guru rrobbert184 somehow and he has shuffled a ton of viewers/contestants to the contest. I believe that it's going to ramp up the quality/quantity of entries in the "Kit" contest, which gives everyone (esp. all of us here) a bigger platform to show off their stuff. So, if any of you are entering, keep that in mind. While I'm not going to judge against "non-perfect" builds, I thought you might want to give it a little extra to showcase what gundamforums.com members can do.

The point of mentioning this isn't to "toot my own horn", but to get everyone's feelings on using these new viewers to promote Gundam Forums. Is that ok with everyone? I mean, it's not like I'm pretentious enough to think that I'm going to single-handedly bring all of rrobbert's 10K+ subs here, but I think that at least some of the people who are checking out the contest will come here, too. I just don't want to "ruin" our dynamic here. I personally would love to get more Gunpla lovers up in here, but if anyone doesn't want me to push it, let me know.

GNzaku0023
May 3, 2011, 9:28 PM
I say go for it mate. We've been trying to bring people in too, the only problem is Mickey hasn't re-enabled new user registrations, and still has the spambot message up.

squeam
May 27, 2011, 9:53 PM
Just as a reminder, the contest entries have to be in by June 1st, so get the finishing touches on those kits done this holiday weekend : )

squeam
June 4, 2011, 12:49 PM
After a long, excrutiating judging process, I have decided on the winners of my contest! Go to my Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimberNewtype?feature=mhee to see the results video. Let me know who you'd have picked to win, if you were in charge. I may let people vote on my next contest, just because it was sooo hard to narrow the winners down to just one in each category :) I'm going to definitely be doing more, as I still have some stuff to give away; so, don't get discouraged if you didn't win.

I'm still waiting on YouTube to process the video, so it may not be live for a little bit.

SilverFrameAstray
June 4, 2011, 6:20 PM
How did I even see that coming. Lawlz. I'm goin' through and checking out the other guy's kits, wonderful stuff.

Funny, I was literally just telling myself I would stab my precious beanie if GNZ won another contest.

I now fear for my hat.

squeam
June 4, 2011, 9:10 PM
I know, SFA. I really tried to keep it from happening, but what can I say? It was too good to not win. That ReMeth and Unicorn Ball put up a strong fight, though. Guess I'm just a homer ;)

Kamari13
June 4, 2011, 10:37 PM
man you had a kick@$$ turn for your contest congrats. :cool:

Zeta
June 4, 2011, 10:49 PM
I should have seen GNZs Zudah-geese winning. That kit was gorgeous!

GNzaku0023
June 5, 2011, 12:09 AM
Thanks guys, I'm still doing some minor touch ups to it, but once I'm done I'll have some nice high res pics up, and some pics of my latest two WIP kits

squeam
June 5, 2011, 8:50 AM
man you had a kick@$$ turn for your contest congrats. :cool:

I know! Where did that come from? I mean, I know rrobbert184 helped a LOT, but even so...I mean Prime92, with her 10k+ subs, only garnered about 17 repsonses for her "Comic Character Contest" and 2 of those were people's second entries. I was floored by the response.

Asterisk
June 5, 2011, 2:09 PM
Naturally, a day after the contest results are announced, I finally get a decent idea for an entry. Hell, I'm going to do it anyway simply because I want to.

Full Frontal's Unicorn.

GNzaku0023
June 5, 2011, 4:53 PM
As promised, some high res pics

Kamari13
June 5, 2011, 4:55 PM
awesome looking GNz