PDA

View Full Version : What kind of paint do you use?

luminousquasar
July 21, 2013, 10:20 PM
Hi, I'm going to be building a new model soon, and I was wondering what kind of paints you guys use. I've researched a little bit and found that Tamiya sprays are often used. I looked on their website, and it says not to use Tamiya PS on plastics. Not sure why. Could you guys share your experiences with Tamiya PS/TS/AS? It would help a bunch. Thanks! :]

Wiz33
July 22, 2013, 1:51 AM
Read these 2 threads first:

http://www.gundamforums.com/showthread.php/29619-Paint-questions

http://www.gundamforums.com/showthread.php/29940-Compressor-question

If you are serious about build Gunpla. Forget about using canned spray.

exia-7
July 23, 2013, 12:17 AM
I have some paint cans from my RC car project leftover. Will they work on the gunpla plastic? The paints are Tamiya brand for polycarbonate (the body of the rc car). Since I've finished painting my RC car, I don't want the paint to go to waste.

Wiz33
July 23, 2013, 1:06 AM
RC paint made for Lexan bodies should not be used on plastic models

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/ps.htm

See the "Never use these paints on plastic models" warning on this page. The reason is as follows:

The Tamiya "PS" series paints (polycarbonate series) etches into the plastic
and leaves a dull rough surface. This paint appears to be glossy only when
seen through the outside of the clear polycarbonate. The etching process
allows it to remain firmly attached to RC car body as it flexes whereas
Lacquers and enamels simply crack and peel off.

luminousquasar
July 24, 2013, 2:19 PM
So would this work?

1. Spray a primer onto the pieces.
2. Hand paint with acrylics.
3. Top coat with a semi-gloss surface.
4. Apply any decals.
5. Top coat with a flat/matte surface.

Dlinker
July 24, 2013, 3:14 PM
That should work just fine, although switch the semi-gloss with a gloss to make things simpler.

luminousquasar
July 24, 2013, 6:40 PM
Ok, cool, thanks. :]
Do you guys have any recommendations for top coats or any other products?

Dlinker
July 24, 2013, 6:51 PM
Hmmm, I've only tried two when not using an AB: Mr. Hobby Top Coat and Future Floor Polish (or Pledge with Future Shine, as it's now called). Both are acrylic, but Mr. Hobby is in spray can form. Future you buy at Walmart and brush on.

Deathscythe!
July 24, 2013, 6:54 PM
I'll just add my comment to the matter :

I don't like primer. I don't like priming at all. It always creates a thick layer on the parts which causes the kit to look less elegant afterwards.

I simply sand my kits.

Wiz33
July 25, 2013, 12:49 AM
I'll just add my comment to the matter :

I don't like primer. I don't like priming at all. It always creates a thick layer on the parts which causes the kit to look less elegant afterwards.

I simply sand my kits.

Then you're putting on too much.

Dlinker
July 25, 2013, 1:18 AM
I echo what Wiz33 said about the primer. If it's changing more than just the color of the parts, then it's being applied too much. Rule of thumb is to apply enough that you can just barely make out the original color underneath. That way, you can always add more.

If using via spray can, then I can understand the difficulty.

Wiz33
July 25, 2013, 1:08 PM
That's what I do. I wonder what kind of primer he's using. Mr Color Surfacer cans are not too bad but automotive primer can be too thick.

Dlinker
July 25, 2013, 1:18 PM
Yeah, I've used Duplicolor sandable primer before and it does get on thick, especially if sprayed at a close distance. Tamiya and Mr. Color brands are usually much more conservative and the pigments finer so there's less chance of a thick layer.

He could be handbrushing it on too.