PDA

View Full Version : Probably a noob question but any help would be great

Impulse
July 21, 2013, 1:22 PM
Ok. So I just recently started building my MG Deathscythe and already I'm noticing a pattern. I started clipping the parts off the tree (not sure what it's called) and when I clip them down to the panel to make them smooth it seems like some of the paint comes off.
Now I'm not painting it so I'm trying to make it look as clean as possible without painting. I tried filing them down to make it smooth but I feel like it still takes some of the paint. Now I don't know if this is how it is or if my OCD is kicking in or I'm doing something wrong.
This is my first gunpla in years so I'm somewhat of a noob. What do you guys think. Sorry I don't have any pics right now but I'm not home at the moment.

P.s sorry if it's in the wrong section.

thwalker13
July 21, 2013, 3:37 PM
It's not the wrong section. If you have a modelers knife you can try to use that smooth it out. Or varying grits of sandpaper. If you can find some 3,000 grit paper that will pretty much give you the same finish as the normal plastic.

Wiz33
July 21, 2013, 4:00 PM
Don't cut too close the the part as the pressure from the cutter will actually deform the plastic and make it goes white. Leave at least .5mm on the part and then sand it down.

Impulse
July 21, 2013, 10:37 PM
It's not the wrong section. If you have a modelers knife you can try to use that smooth it out. Or varying grits of sandpaper. If you can find some 3,000 grit paper that will pretty much give you the same finish as the normal plastic.

Don't cut too close the the part as the pressure from the cutter will actually deform the plastic and make it goes white. Leave at least .5mm on the part and then sand it down.

Thanks guys. I have a filer that came with the Tamiya tool box. Should I use that or the sandpaper?

Dlinker
July 22, 2013, 12:07 AM
Use both. The filer first, then higher grit sandpaper to smooth it out so you won't have obvious scratch marks.

Wiz33
July 22, 2013, 1:47 AM
Yea, File first then sand and polish. I use 1000 crit sandpaper then move onto something like this for the final polish.

http://www.amazon.com/Shiny-Block-Buffing-Shine-Buffer/dp/B0037O2J7I/ref=pd_sbs_bt_1