PDA

View Full Version : moonbase01 wip thread

moonbase01
July 14, 2013, 10:15 AM
Okay, very new to Gundam but have always customized my toys. I bought the Shaldoll kit as it looked like a cool starter kit. I enjoyed the heck out of the build. I will post pics but as of now it is pretty much an out of box build. I appreciate the threads on building as removing nubs from the tree was helpful and made it look really clean. I plan on lining this kit and maybe doing a gray wash, weather look as I have done a few transformers and they turned out cool. I will definitely be doing more builds. I can't believe I waited this long to give it a try.

thwalker13
July 14, 2013, 11:03 AM
Glad to see more and more people giving Gunpla a try. Glad to hear that you found some of information threads useful. Any idea as to what your next build might be?

Squee
July 14, 2013, 11:48 AM
Any pics of your progress?

moonbase01
July 14, 2013, 7:41 PM
Pics have been taken and kit is first stage lined. Camera kept flashing and made white on the kit blurry. I will still upload later :). I hit bigger spots with black when lining and may wash thin lines with a gray or dark gray so it does not look all the same. I am not sure what I want to try next. My local Hobby town has some great kits and toy arena looks good to for in stock kits.

moonbase01
July 14, 2013, 7:56 PM

1st pic wife helped with blurry over exposure. black lines are paint, only stickers I used are head/eyes. I liked those, black stickers looked a little cheap.

moonbase01
July 14, 2013, 7:59 PM

a few more at this stage, any comments or suggestions are welcome, first kit and look forward to improving and always welcoming advice.

Dlinker
July 14, 2013, 11:08 PM
Yeah, a bit better pics would be nice. What are you using to take pics?

So far, though, it looks like a clean build. I'm not seeing any apparent nub marks or areas where too much plastic was shaved off.

What are you using to clean up your panel lines?

thwalker13
July 15, 2013, 7:51 AM
You'll improve your skills with every kit that you do. Cause each kit will teach you something new, and you'll apply what you learn to next project. But the panel lines look really good. Them being painted is all the better.

moonbase01
July 15, 2013, 11:29 AM
Yeah, a bit better pics would be nice. What are you using to take pics?

So far, though, it looks like a clean build. I'm not seeing any apparent nub marks or areas where too much plastic was shaved off.

What are you using to clean up your panel lines?

I am using an old Kodak, nothing special. My wife's cell takes better pics sometimes, our camera is moody. Then again my son can take pics that are awesome with it so I may con him into being photographer for me.
I used q tip and alcohol for clean up. Surprised I only had to clean a few little spots as shaky as I am, I am working on controlling the shakes but just starting made me shake and sweat.

Dlinker
July 15, 2013, 1:25 PM
Ah, I see. That explains why some of the lines aren't as clean compared to others. Do you find washes easier to do than using markers/pens/pencils for lining?

moonbase01
July 15, 2013, 2:03 PM
Actually it is pen that went wonky in some parts and then cleaned with alcohol and q tips. I work much cleaner in washes like on transformers. I tend to go overboard with the damage though and they end up looking like they stepped out of TF hell. I am pacing myself and setting a goal of light wash to fill in lines, I am not 100% happy with the thick black on the small tabs but it is nicer than some work I have done in the past. I think I will end up with multiples because I like a clean look, with lines and then beaten look. I have been checking some out of the box builds that look awesome but I can never leave stuff alone, it's got to have some customizing.

During the day I work with custom and classic cars and at night its toys. I think I may have to make a rat rod gundam to test or get some of the rust out of my airbrush skills ( my wife taught me a long time ago) and do a full on paint job. I have noticed a few kits that are almost all white that would be perfect blank slate.

Dlinker
July 15, 2013, 3:09 PM
You've got the right idea with using grey for lighter parts and black for the darker parts.

Like you, I can't be satisfied with just a plain OOB now. Something I build has to be painted or otherwise modified or else it just feels too plain, haha.

If you were going to paint, what type would you use?

moonbase01
July 15, 2013, 4:04 PM
I am a scavenger so I would have to see what my wife has available, she doesn't buy cheap unless it is for base coat or huge areas. I usually use rattle can primer and paint with a lot of sanding/wet sanding. I like to layer odd colors and then start sanding through to show a little of all. Not sure how tough airbrush paint is compared to rattle can so I may have to test run a few spoons. A great idea I picked up from here. I have only tried airbrush a few times and then it was basics. I do have some one shot lying around. I might mix some colors up and see what I can do with that. I have a few pin stripe brushes I cut way down....that may be a solution to some of the small spots that are hard to get. So I will try a little of this and that until I find a brand/ type I work good with.

Dlinker
July 15, 2013, 4:58 PM
Toughness of the paint when using an AB depends on the type. Acrylic is the weakest while lacquer is strong enough to withstand sanding.

Good luck on your tests.

moonbase01
July 19, 2013, 11:18 AM
Did a little more work this week. I added black lines to the shield and a few more small details to figure. probably stop for now, I do have a tendency to over do it. Now to look for my next kit. I really like these AGE kits and a few more have caught my eye like Stargazer. Man I just started and already need to make a list.

thwalker13
July 19, 2013, 12:13 PM
Starting out you can easily get overwhelmed by the amount to kits that you want to get. Making a "Buy List" is always extremely helpful.

Dlinker
July 19, 2013, 1:15 PM
Yeah, I was the same way when I started last year. Got the AGE-1 Normal and while waiting for the kit to arrive, I was already itching to buy more, haha.

I heard the HG Stargazer is pretty nice kit, especially when compared to the other SEED HG kits (minus the recently-released ones, of course).

moonbase01
July 19, 2013, 1:51 PM
I have yet to watch any of the shows or movies yet and just go off what I like in models so far. It reminds me of back in the day when Transformers and GI Joe showed up on the shelf in my area and there was no show yet ( showing my age to say I was a kid in the way back when). We had to imagine or make up stuff and then when we watched the show we got to see how close our idea was to the show.

moonbase01
July 21, 2013, 10:02 PM
Went to Hobby Town and picked up a second kit. I got another HG age kit since I liked the first one so much, Clanche has been started and I am about 1/2 way done with basic assembling. After I get it assembled I will se if I want to paint or line anything. I am still scared of painting and thinking of picking up a few AG kits to practice with.

thwalker13
July 21, 2013, 10:37 PM
I was nervous about painting as well. But once you get started, you will probably want to paint just about every kit that you get. haha

Dlinker
July 22, 2013, 12:07 AM
True 'dat. The minute I took the plunge and started painting my first HG kit with Gundam markers, it just became a downhill slope towards painting something on a kit.

AG kits make for good practice, but don't be afraid of practicing on HG kits too.

moonbase01
July 23, 2013, 1:20 PM
I finished the initial build on the Clanche. Nice kit but not much other than vents to paint. Most of the front of the legs are smooth with no lines to fill. I may hit the vents with some gray matte nail polish my wife has and leave it be. Pacing myself as I did get a third kit Sunday but do not want to build it and be without something to do as school is approaching for my son and it will hit the pocket book mighty hard, already out 250 just in supplies....

thwalker13
July 23, 2013, 2:24 PM
My two girls are starting school this year as well. So I know where you're coming from there. What kit are you thinking about getting next?

moonbase01
July 23, 2013, 10:30 PM
I have the Adele kit in dark blue with the numbers, I think it was called Diva. It will be next, I will look for one that is bulky with lotsa guns next :). I did actually paint tonight. Baby steps...I painted the vents gray on the Clanche and was very pleased with the out come. Still looks very novice but I am learning patience and know I will have to give it time. Not many mistakes and cleaned up nice but still. I will post pics tomorrow of progress and the little addition of line work on the Shaldoll kit.

My boy is 10 and it does not get cheaper as the years go, do they really need 250.00 worth of crap to go to school? He shows some interest in the kits but I do not push, I like for him to be his own person and develop into what he likes. He is building these solar robots we found at Hobbytown and likes to pose my Gundam and look at the weapons.

thwalker13
July 23, 2013, 11:06 PM
Patience is the biggest part of this hobby. The more you take your time the more you learn and the better your kits will look.

And I hear ya on the cost of schooling. It's insane. My 4 year old helped me build her 1st kit. But it was kinda hard for it to keep her attention.

moonbase01
April 26, 2016, 12:29 PM
Been gone a while but started back this week. I bought 5 new kits and am in build stage of first. Pics to post this evening.