PDA

View Full Version : Katoki

GNzaku0023
February 27, 2011, 8:15 PM
Okay, I'm really tired of seeing all this hate for Katoki designs. Yeah they've got long legs and they have a tendency to be pointy, but they look good. They look more realistic and I like that. Don't get me wrong, I love TV/Movie versions of kits too, but it's nice to see a katoki design come up. Not to mention the kit's themselves are very nice. Yeah they've got some posing issues, but they're not really meant to be posed. They're really nice eye candy, and I'm fine with that. I've built both the Crossbone and Deathscythe Ver Ka, and they are both gorgeous kits. I don't understand why there's so much hate towards Katoki and his designs. He likes to stick to what he knows, and while that may be bland to some people it's nice to others.

SilverFrameAstray
February 27, 2011, 9:48 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it more. I love Katoki Hajime's designs. He has the same Gundam designing outlook as I do. Longer legs look better and are more aesthetically pleasing anyway.

Zeta-G
February 28, 2011, 12:18 AM
It's more of a loathing for when he mangles an existing design beyond recognition (think Wing Kits). I like Katoki's truly original designs more often than not (mmm... Unicorn... Sinanju... Taurus...), but what I don't like is seeing his design aesthetic imposed on other people's work. Crossbone and the Victory's Ver. Kas are one thing (I can deal with proportional adjustments to a certain degree), but the Wing redesigns are a step too far, particularly since the original designs lack any decent quality kits (in any grade).

The MG Wing is simply a prettier design and a more balanced/poseable kit than Katoki's bastardized version of Gundam 01. And while Katoki's Wing Zero is a beautiful design (and is truly unique among Gundam designs), it is also very different from his usual Gundam design style (proportions aside); it also creates several continuity issues (read: anything involving bird mode), due to how far he strayed from the original (also great) design.

In closing, whatever happened to releasing the original design before releasing a bazillion and one variant/modified/alternative designs?

Seriously, it hasn't prevented the RX-78 and Zaku lines from moving mountains of Gunpla and making merry buckets of cash...

GNzaku0023
February 28, 2011, 1:09 AM
I agree with you on the point that the originals should come first, however, I don't believe he "bastardizes" other's works. It's a lot like the SEED MSV and OO variants in my opinion. They're not supposed to be the same, but rather offer up something new and fresh while maintaining a bit of similarity to the original.

Zeta-G
February 28, 2011, 1:18 AM
I agree with you on the point that the originals should come first, however, I don't believe he "bastardizes" other's works. It's a lot like the SEED MSV and OO variants in my opinion. They're not supposed to be the same, but rather offer up something new and fresh while maintaining a bit of similarity to the original.
His Wing designs are intended to retcon the TV versions. They are not mere side story units that can be hand waved away. Because of this, they cause continuity issues, which is why there is a need for Glory of the Defeated in the first place.

Zeta
March 8, 2011, 1:03 AM
I completely agree with you Zeta-G. The Katoki designs for the Wing suits (beautiful as they are) should not have been retconned into the Glory of the Defeated manga. Okawara's designs came first and therefore should be counted as canon.

SilverFrameAstray
March 9, 2011, 9:23 PM
I am starting to believe that there is a psychological condition in which those who are fond of the zeta gundam have similar brain patterns and preferences. Due to this, very elaborate and painful testing will commence in brief time. See you in the lab.

GNzaku0023
March 11, 2011, 12:20 AM
Well, crap. I'm fond of Zeta Gundam, but I love katoki designs...does this make me exempt???

SilverFrameAstray
March 11, 2011, 12:31 AM
Well, crap. I'm fond of Zeta Gundam, but I love katoki designs...does this make me exempt???

Nurse, submit this one to a separate testing facility. We do need an outside variable don't we?

Nah. You aren't AS fond obviously. It's just the hardcore similarity between the two Zeta's. Gives me the willies. Like if some ponce comes on and has the handle "AstrayChromeFrame" or something... and was much like me...I'd ban the bastard.

Cheatyface4
June 20, 2011, 12:16 AM
I realize this thread is a bit old, but I feel the need to comment. I really like Ver.Ka's style, I just hate how... flimsy they are. (Looking at you Victory and Crossbone.) Also, I have the Katoki Wing gundam and there's just no posing the dang thing with it's rifle. It's so heavy you can only really use it if you have Wing leaning on it or have him huggin' it with both arms. XD

Zeta
June 20, 2011, 12:24 AM
I realize this thread is a bit old, but I feel the need to comment. I really like Ver.Ka's style, I just hate how... flimsy they are. (Looking at you Victory and Crossbone.) Also, I have the Katoki Wing gundam and there's just no posing the dang thing with it's rifle. It's so heavy you can only really use it if you have Wing leaning on it or have him huggin' it with both arms. XD

Do you have the Ver.Ka or the EW Ver.? I have heard that EW version fixed some of the problems of the original had.

Cheatyface4
June 20, 2011, 12:31 AM
I have the old one. I didn't buy it right away because I was kind of iffy about it, but I liked the wings a lot, so I went for it. This was before the new one was announced. Now it's just sitting in the box, so I may use the wings for a custom kit...