PDA

View Full Version : HG 1/144 Blitz Gundam

GNzaku0023
February 2, 2011, 11:11 PM
Okay, so I chose this kit purely off of impulse, and I figured, since I didn't pay for it, it'd be a good chance to see how good my painting skills are with smaller details.

So I opened the kit up today, and found out all the black was this ugly, cheap looking dark blue. That wasn't gonna fly with me, since it's always shown as being a glossed black. So I took a trip to my local Hobby Lobby (the godsend of hobbiers in f'burg) and spent around 15 dollars on new supplies (paints, detail brushes, new razor, clippers, ect), got home, and went to work.

I started by trimming all the dark blue parts off the runners, using these awesome trimmers Asterisk had suggested to me (5$ at walmart :D)
[attachment=3:k6ro9poh]1.jpg[/attachment:k6ro9poh]

Even with these god-tier trimmers, the plasic had some bad stress marks left. I guess bandai still liked to use cheaper plastics with the SEED line.

BUT

This didn't bother me cause I had picked up some more gorgeous lacquer gloss black spray paint, and went to town. After that dried, I started doing my detail parts in red, as shown by these pictures:
[attachment=2:k6ro9poh]2.jpg[/attachment:k6ro9poh]
[attachment=1:k6ro9poh]3.jpg[/attachment:k6ro9poh]

And a bad res close up on the chest piece:
[attachment=0:k6ro9poh]4.jpg[/attachment:k6ro9poh]

That's about all the progress I've made so far, and I still need to do a few more coats of red, but it's coming along nicely.

At the same time I'm building Blitz, I'm going to start working on that SD Neue Ziel, (while I'm waiting for paint to dry of course).

Asterisk
February 3, 2011, 6:37 AM
Have you gotten a new hobby knife yet? That can make more difference than just the clippers.

GNzaku0023
February 3, 2011, 7:50 AM
Yeah, I picked up a new one and it's made one helluva difference.

Skittles
February 3, 2011, 8:14 PM
Blitz was my first HG. I haven't taken him down to look at in awhile, though -- he probably looks a little banged up, like a first kit.

What sort of paint are you using? I intend to spray a kit one of these days, perhaps when the weather is warmer, but don't really know where to start.

GNzaku0023
February 3, 2011, 8:31 PM
ooooohhhh man, I'm using the new Testor's Lacquer spray paints. These are gorgeous paints, and are not too expensive. I pay around 4 dollars a can for it, and they go on beautifully and they give your kit a really nice finish (just don't use gloss coat with it)

Skittles
February 3, 2011, 8:55 PM
ooooohhhh man, I'm using the new Testor's Lacquer spray paints. These are gorgeous paints, and are not too expensive. I pay around 4 dollars a can for it, and they go on beautifully and they give your kit a really nice finish (just don't use gloss coat with it)

The ones with the 'shiny' caps on the top of the display? (If your Hobby Lobby is set up like mine, I mean.) Those are the ones I was looking at.

GNzaku0023
February 3, 2011, 9:11 PM
hang on man, I'll get a picture for you.

GNzaku0023
February 3, 2011, 9:21 PM
Here ya go:
[attachment=0:cfdtehh1]downsize.jpg[/attachment:cfdtehh1]

I finished blitz, but I'll post pictures tomorrow once I charge my camera.

Skittles
February 3, 2011, 9:39 PM
Here ya go:
[attachment=0:32uhnyde]downsize.jpg[/attachment:32uhnyde]

I finished blitz, but I'll post pictures tomorrow once I charge my camera.

Yep, that's what I was looking at. Great! I'll have to snag a few cans next time I get up there.

Can't wait to see Blitz.