PDA

View Full Version : Battle Damage: Do you do it?

Asterisk
September 27, 2010, 1:48 PM
I've always had a fondness of very well done weathering and battle damage.
Unfortunately, I'm always too afraid of ruining a model on accident to actually attempt it.
Surely, I'm not the only one, am I?

Zeta-G
September 27, 2010, 4:22 PM
I don't do any weathering to my kits. My idea of battle damage is pulling a mobile suit (say one of Kira's) apart at the joints, putting the pieces into a pile (possibly with the legs still standing), and then putting another suit nearby with its gun/sword pointed as if it had just finished blasting/slicing the dismembered suit into pieces. I find that this approach doesn't result in any permanent damage (I avoid popping apart ball joints that have to bear relatively significant weight when assembled).

GNzaku0023
October 6, 2010, 8:27 PM
First off, Asterisk, congrats, that's a beautiful kit you built.
Second, I myself have been hesitant to do battle damage, though no problems with weathering as shown by my 1/144 HG Serpent:
[attachment=0:3qxdxd6d]Picture1.jpg[/attachment:3qxdxd6d]

As for battle damage I was very hesitant to do so, so I decided to practice. I bought a 1/144 first grade/no grade Forbidden Gundam and tried that. I used a technique involving a super heated nail and some pliers.

Basically take a nail (make sure it's not galvanized) and light a candle. Using the pliers, hold the nail in the flame for about 20-30 seconds.

Using the nail, press it against the plastic, not firm though, on it's side. This will create a beam saber burn effect. Then reheat the nail and you can use the tip to create bullet hole effects. You could also do what I did on Forbidden and push the nail through the cockpit section and you can put a beam saber through it.
Also always hold the nail with the pliers.

Generally, only do this if your making a diorama or you have a kit you really don't care about. Or for Zeta-G anything Kira related.

Zeta-G
October 6, 2010, 10:42 PM
. . . Generally, only do this if your making a diorama or you have a kit you really don't care about. Or for Zeta-G anything Kira related.
I was thinking of Shinn impaling Kira the instant I read the part in your post about creating a hole for a beam saber. :D
I don't think I would ruin a MG to do it though; perhaps I could mutilate some poor HG Freedom... :twisted:
Note: I am not the only one on this forum who is a fan of the idea of blowing up Kira. See discussion about PG Strike Freedom and its usefulness.

GNzaku0023
October 7, 2010, 8:40 AM
I'm sure your not the only one who hates kira lol. If you wanted to do that definitely use a HG and stay away from mutilating a MG kit.

The technique I would use for that would be to draw a line where you want to put the Anti-Ship sword (make sure its the right size for it) with pencil/pen/gundam marker. Then super heat the nail and start at the bottom of the line and work your way up. Push the nail all the way through the body and do that along the line.

I'll post some pictures of my forbidden when I get back to my house on monday.

SilverFrameAstray
October 15, 2010, 7:12 PM
I did some damage to my guntank 1/144. It was the HG, but I painted a lot of it metallic, then put some burn and gunfire damage.

Skittles
October 21, 2010, 10:17 AM
I've always had a fondness of very well done weathering and battle damage.
Unfortunately, I'm always too afraid of ruining a model on accident to actually attempt it.
Surely, I'm not the only one, am I?

Only if the kit has already been damaged by some other means (like the couple with pieces missing that were sent to me by a friend) -- otherwise I'm quite happy with my factory-fresh, just powerwashed and sparkling machines!

SilverFrameAstray
October 21, 2010, 7:11 PM
@skittles
I agree with you, but only sometimes. I'm about to do weathering on my 1/144 buster. No damage, just weathering. It gives a kit more personality.