PDA

View Full Version : PG Ready

ronpage29
June 11, 2013, 2:48 AM
So I recieved my PG MKII in the mail on saturday and completed it on sunday! Yes if you do your math that was 14 straight hours of modeling! Not to mention I worked 9 hours prior to starting the build. All nubs were taken care of by the way..... not sure if they were done completely. I will be going over it when I start painting. This will be my first painted kit so I am not gonna do the internal frame except minor details. Got my airbrush/compressor in the mail today and started practicing so onve I feel comfortably I will start the model.

thwalker13
June 11, 2013, 8:13 AM
Congrats on both the Mk.II and the airbrush man. Are you going to do a custom color scheme or redo the original one?

ronpage29
June 11, 2013, 3:27 PM
To be honest I'm gonna attempt to do the color on the box! I'm also gonna preshade. Thanks for the congrats by the way. I am having fun with the airbrush. Its a ton easier than I thought. ((I originally thoughy it would be impossible to use)

thwalker13
June 11, 2013, 4:21 PM
I've been able to use mine a few times. And it didn't seem at all as difficult as what I had thought. Just took some practice. I can't wait to get a proper compressor for it.

Dlinker
June 11, 2013, 5:01 PM
I think the ease can be a bit deceiving, but then again, I'm still working using a wandering nomad's form of a workstation so perhaps it's a cakewalk when one has a proper desk with everything on it already there.

What paints are you working with?

ronpage29
June 11, 2013, 5:30 PM
Oh yeah iy is definitely not easy! Just a ton easier than I imagined it to be. I've been praticing on spoons just testing stuff out. I've learned a few things so far and have a ton to learn before painting my model. I'm thinking either the end of summer or the lastest October it should be done.

ronpage29
June 15, 2013, 4:54 AM
So painting the kit has started. Here are a few pics. Sorry for the quality seeing as I'm using my phone. These were taken before the clear coat. I wish I uses a lighter blue but still very pleased.

thwalker13
June 15, 2013, 10:11 AM
Your shading looks really good. And that blue looks great.

Dlinker
June 15, 2013, 2:45 PM
What's your plan for the shading? Edges and panel lines? If so, that second pic looks good. Kinda hard to pull off when using dark colors like that, haha.

ronpage29
June 15, 2013, 5:10 PM
Yeah that's what I'm going for D. I will try to get my good camera working so you guys can see it better. The clear coat actually darkened the blue making the shading a little harder to see but I'm thinking the matte coat will help. The reason I say that is once I get the shine off the pieces the detail should pop. Thatnks for the compliments. I knew a darker model that was shaded was not gonna be easy so I didn't go as dark as the model itself..... well at least it wasn't as dark before! Lol

ronpage29
June 16, 2013, 4:53 AM
I know this is a double post but here is an update! So when I bought paints for my kit I origionally wanted gunmetal grey for the grey parts, however I bought metallic gun metal. So I tested that color on the shield and I'm kinda impressed. I learned that using an ab to spray metallic colors is a bit less forgiving however I think I like it! I will take a pic in the morbing once the clear coat cures. Maybe add the decals to. Not sure if I am gonna use gun metal on all the grey parts though. Maybe I will still get the non metallic grey and switch it up.

thwalker13
June 16, 2013, 9:29 AM
Using various paints can always make a kit look a bit more detailed. Since the release of the RG kits. Color separation has kinda been on my mind a lot while I'm doing current projects or future ones.

Dlinker
June 16, 2013, 2:13 PM
Using one or two tones (even three) of a metallic is more than fine and it's a common practice. It's when you use four or more and in a small area that it becomes kinda wacky, haha.

ronpage29
June 17, 2013, 1:46 AM
Well I screwed the pooch on this one. Note to self let all paint and clear coat fully cure prior to decals. The shield part I painted ended up being stripped because the plastic part of the dry transfer decals became stuck to the clear coat and during removal took all layers of paint off down to the primer. So I changed tactics a bit because truth be told the metallic gun metal was a bit much for me. So I took some grey and darkened it a bit with some black. Pre shaded and awaiting clear coat. This will work better for me I think.

Dlinker
June 17, 2013, 2:12 AM
Wow, sucks to hear that happened. Looks like you're working around it well enough, though. Wanting a challenge by using dry-transfers instead of buying waterslides?

ronpage29
June 17, 2013, 6:43 AM
You know I was actually gonna buy watersides but I figured dry transfers would be easier do to the size of this model. In all honesty they are. However it was my negligence that ruined the first paint job. Now I actually like the shield a bit more. I will take pics tomorrow. It's not amazing by any means but I like it. :)

thwalker13
June 17, 2013, 7:36 AM
As long as you are happy with your work it doesn't matter what other people think. I'm honestly scared to use dry transfers on painted parts for this exact reason. But like Dlinker said, you've rebounded well and it even turned out better than before.

ronpage29
June 17, 2013, 9:04 PM
So here is the shield. I would like the note that the shading is a lot more defined on the Grey than the blue. Also the Grey is kind of a dark military grey. The pictures give it kind of an olive green hue to it but it isn't. Still impressed with the outcome. I will be using a much darker grey for the part of the feet skirt armor and chest pieces. Then the back pack I'm gonna get a gunmetal grey (non metallic) and then accent parts with the metallic version.

Dlinker
June 18, 2013, 2:12 AM
Excellent job on that shield and the shading looks perfect to my eyes. And yeah, I think that's a color that will always look different in pictures, haha.

ronpage29
June 18, 2013, 6:03 AM
Yeah you know for a bit I was worried it would not go with the blue but it fits pretty good. I would not say perfect just yet but it's not bad! Lol

Jfl0
June 18, 2013, 1:55 PM
As long as you are happy with your work it doesn't matter what other people think.

Never stray from this statement, and you will always love your work as you become better and better at it. I wish my stuff was world cup worthy, but I love doing what I do, and that's what it's all about.

Well I screwed the pooch on this one. Note to self let all paint and clear coat fully cure prior to decals.

Ouch yeah. 48 hour dry time. Me, I might wait a week. Patience grasshopper :p I've been in your situation. Welcome to airbrushing! keep it clean and it will last you forever. I went with Badger products because if I FUBAR the brush they repair it no questions asked. I was swearing up and down when I got my brush back that it wasn't my original, until I saw a tiny bit of gray they couldn't polish off :p Then I knew it was mine (laughs).

ronpage29
June 25, 2013, 2:13 AM
These are some update pics. The arms are a bit grainy due to the clear coat not being done properly I think! I am getting better as I go though. I'm not too worried because I'm gonna do a matte coat on all once I'm done. Still not sure what I'm gonna do with the v fin. Need to wait to get some white primer and maybe some orange to pre shade. Also does anyone have suggestions for the dark grey chest and torso parts. I won't be using the Grey like on the shield it's too lite for the body. Oh the pre shading on the arms is not as pronounced as it looks in the pictures and, each side actually mirrors the other much better than the picture make it seem.

thwalker13
June 25, 2013, 7:31 AM
Everything is looking really good to me man. As for the dark gray parts. If you're referring to the near black armor parts, I'd just paint them black. But that's just me.

ronpage29
June 25, 2013, 10:50 AM
Yeah I thought about using black but I'm thinking with black some of the detail might be lost. Not sure! It's an option though!

Dlinker
June 25, 2013, 11:15 AM
Dude, that looks really good. Did you paint the thrusters too? Because they look snazzy.

Pre-shading seems to be done well in your pics. No worries on the gloss coat. Looks fine to me and it's likely no one will notice unless they examine from up close.

I'd go with black as well for the dark gray parts. It kinda limits your options somewhat since it's supposed to be a darker color from the blue. Maybe you can line the details with a brighter color?

ronpage29
June 25, 2013, 2:24 PM
Thanks man! Yeah I airbrushed the thrusters with silver clear coated it then went over the edges with black. I also did lite lines in black as well but they did not show up that well in the pictures. I'm having a lot of fun with airbrushing but I must admit I should have used a HG kit as my first project. Lol! I guess with me it's all or nothing.

Dlinker
June 25, 2013, 3:25 PM
I don't know, I think starting with a PG works just as well. If anything, it's better because you get more chances to do stuff and you don't have to worry about masking or modding parts. Just straight airbrushing.

ronpage29
June 25, 2013, 10:20 PM
True true! I didn't think about it that way!