PDA

View Full Version : Marvel or DC comics?

Zeta-G
January 24, 2011, 1:51 AM
Feel free to toss in Dark Horse, Image, IDW, etc.

I used to be Marvel, but somewhere around the time of The Crossing storyline (95-ish), they seemed to have lost their way. In Iron Man's case, Busiek, Grell, and Fraction are the only ones who've been able to write a damn (since the mid 90's, I mean) and the other writers have been pretty much garbage (Quesada's living armor story aside). I hate the giant crossover stories with a passion (*glares at civil war, house of M, the crossing, etc.*) . They seem to exist only to boost sales and reinvent characters. DC on the other hand has always been bland to me (the occaisional Batman aside), although I loved Batman the Animated series (the 90's one by Dini).

I think I have to go with Dark Horse as the best COMIC BOOK publisher. While I may not care about (or even like) their original/creator-owner series, I think their licensed product is fantastic. AVP and Star Wars are great. Buffy Season 8 and Serenity are just phenomenal for fans of the Buffyverse and Firefly; they capture their source shows very well. I can't wait for the in-development Dark Horse Comics app (the general store one). Here's hoping that Fox & others don't block the sales of licensed works for the app.

For Movies, I think Marvel's are the best on average, while DC has the best individual movies (Read: Batman), but also has the worst (See: everything not involving Batman, as well as the two Schumacher Batman films).

What do you guys think?

Allelujah
January 24, 2011, 2:18 AM
speaking of marvel comics. do anyone of you has the spiderman election special? i think the cover was barrack obama.. i was just curious how the story goes in that issue.. :D and they said that Abraham Lincoln has also his appearance :)

squeam
January 24, 2011, 6:57 AM
I've always been a hardcore Marvel fan. X-Men books were the first I read and I've loved them ever since. DC has its moments, especially with Batman. I admit that I've been out of the comic game for a few years, mostly because all of them seem to have lost me. I did like Joss Whedon's run on X-Men and Marvel 1602. At first, all I really cared for was the art-the Kuberts, Jim Lee, then Joe Mad, etc. I enjoy certain crossovers, such as: the Phalanx Covenant, Age of Apocalypse and even the Onslaught stories. I realize that these are some of the most hated/polarizing story arcs, but whatever, I like 'em.

Asterisk
January 24, 2011, 7:58 AM
I can't give an honest answer to this since I just pick and choose various comic series' I think I'll enjoy.
I AM, however, a huge Green Lantern fan. I have more Green Lantern comics than anything else.

SilverFrameAstray
January 24, 2011, 4:24 PM
I use to have a ton of Marvel comics. No idea where they went though.

I have to say I'm pretty biased with Marvel. Stan Lee was my hero for ages...up until he sold it to Disney. God what a train wreck.

Zeta-G
January 24, 2011, 6:09 PM
I can't give an honest answer to this since I just pick and choose various comic series' I think I'll enjoy.
I AM, however, a huge Green Lantern fan. I have more Green Lantern comics than anything else.

This is me with Iron Man comics (which i started getting long before the movie came out). Needless to say, I was ecstatic when RDJ was cast as Stark (on my birthday no less); that was a perfect bit of casting.

I use to have a ton of Marvel comics. No idea where they went though.

I have to say I'm pretty biased with Marvel. Stan Lee was my hero for ages...up until he sold it to Disney. God what a train wreck.
To be fair Disney hasn't really bastardized anything yet (at least beyond Marvel's level of bastardization immediately prior to the buyout).

Brent
January 24, 2011, 8:24 PM
I don't read comics all that much. All I have and read are the first ~10 issues of Akira, and a copy of Watchmen, which imo were both really good reads (going to have to track down the rest of Akira someday)

And yes, I know Akira is of Japanese origin, but Marvel were the first to license and release it in America.

Kamari13
January 26, 2011, 8:07 PM
I have to go with DC due to the fact that I'm a big Superman fan :P

Zombie Freyr
January 29, 2011, 2:04 AM
I'm primarily a Dark Horse fan, mostly due to Hellboy and most of their licenses.

Zelite
December 26, 2011, 1:04 AM
I have a ton of old comics that I inherited when my father passed on. I like DC and Marvel equally. I loved reading She-Hulk, and X-Men, (And my father had a ton of Superman, but alas, I'm a Batman fangirl.)

Now-a-days I read Batman (If/when I can find it), Teen Titans, but mainly, Sonic The Hedgehog.

J-muss
December 26, 2011, 3:29 AM
DC is definately the better choice at the moment. Being a huge comic book fan I've gotten to the point where I refuse to start ANY new Marvel comic series because both me and a friend combined have had just about every new series this year get cancelled before it ended because Marvel chooses to concentrate on just Xmen and the "52" series.

Plus the Blackest Night series by DC is phenomenal and leaves Marvel in the dust.

On a side note I used to be a Marvel guy but I can't put up with them right now, they're like the Fox network of comics.... always cancelling good series.

I'mANewtypeToo!
December 26, 2011, 9:05 AM
Going to have to go with DC. I don't actually feel that Marvel has many characters that I enjoy, and they've pretty much destroyed X-Men, which was the only thing I remotely enjoyed. DC is always big on cosmically empowered super being and telepathy/telekinesis. People think Superman is OP, then take a look at Silver Surfer. DC is more into big hitters and magic that marvel is, which I just find much cooler. I'm also a Wonder Woman fan. =]
Also, I think just about all the "teams" on Marvel are terrible. And I seriously hate the Avengers and anything associated with them. I think they're terrible.

Zappit
February 24, 2012, 3:33 PM
I just can't stick with DC. They keep making the same mistakes again and again. Clean sweep a couple decades ago to clean up continuity and eliminate the multiverse, then they do the same dang thing again, and we've got New 52. Marvel wipes out a lot of their "mistakes" with some really bad retcons - Brand New Day anyone? - but at least they try to stick it out and make it work, rather than just hitting the reset button on the whole line.

Asterisk
February 24, 2012, 4:31 PM
I dunno, I just read the various Lantern series'

Kenico
February 24, 2012, 5:10 PM
Im on the Fence about it, i like some of the Marvel Characters, but i will always be a Batman Fan to the end... all hail the Dark Knight!!!

Zappit
February 24, 2012, 5:49 PM
I spend more time reading webcomics than any physical books nowadays. Update schedules can be touch and go, but the ones who do it right do it better than a lot of the pros, who get hamstrung by editors and movie versions of the books.

Asterisk
February 24, 2012, 6:38 PM
I hear you, man. My webcomic folder has 28 entries (yours included, now.)

Zappit
February 24, 2012, 8:28 PM
I hear you, man. My webcomic folder has 28 entries (yours included, now.)

Thanks, Asterisk - glad you like it.

Zeta
February 25, 2012, 6:46 AM
As the son of a father that collected comics in the '60s and '70s, my loyalties lie to both companies. Both produce equally good comics. While some do have flaws, I like both for the stories they put out. Also, I've met Stan Lee in person. He's awesome and chill, nuff said.

Kenico
February 26, 2012, 2:27 PM
Since this is a thread about comics, which characters form the DC/Marvel Universes do you guys like?

DC: Batman...nuff said lol

Marvel: Wolverine (just cuz lol), Blade, Ghost Rider (the only reason id watch the movie is because the helicopter pilot was Richard Ian Cox...but it was still a good movie lol), Iron man, Captain America, and the Incredible Hulk.

Red
February 26, 2012, 5:48 PM
I prefer DC even though they hit the reset button every now and then. I haven't read much but the Kingdom Come series was pretty rad, especially the art. I've also read a good chunk of Red Robin and some Green Lantern stuff.

Also, here is a really cool motion comic about the death of Spider-Man (the one from the Ultimate universe): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POXxmaJ_cV8

Amuro Ray
March 31, 2012, 4:23 AM
I read a ton of comics and I'm not partial to either company. I read more DC comics than Marvel but I love the Marvel comics I read just as much as the DC stuff.

Zeta-G
February 24, 2014, 12:31 AM
Because Marvel can't help but do stupid things in their actual comic books: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/20/what-do-you-think-of-ghost-riders-new-look-2

Shin Starlord
February 24, 2014, 5:43 AM
I didn't even know there was a thread like this until ZG revived it!

Okay, DC comics. Now I love Marvel comics too, but only the older characters you know growing up, not the newer, crappy characters created for the purpose of making different spinoff books. These characters I like are the ones created by Stan Lee with Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko.

Reasons:

DC are older, thus their characters are more original and make a lot more sense than Marvel's newer characters, like... that stupid waste of ink, Deadpool.

DC comics are easier to get into. You can read any book now and get into it. Marvel is the opposite. You need to go through over 10 years of books to understand what's going on if you WANT to get into it, otherwise you'll be lost.

Less annoying characters that spout nonse... like an amazing character such as Deathstroke to a moron like Deadpool.

How Marvel can improve:

Focus on selling books starring their iconic characters. These include: The Fantastic Four, The original X-Men (Cyclops, Beast, Iceman, Angel and maybe Rachel Gray), the Uncanny X-Men (Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, etc), Spiderman (Naturally), Daredevil, and obviously The Avengers. Avengers should get two books, one for a joint story, and one anthology book focusing on different members.

My reason for this is simple. Once a character is an Avenger, there is half interest on his respective book. An example would be Hawkeye and Mockingbird, which was just silly. Iron Man and Captain America are still okay to have their own titles. Iron Man focuses on Tony's daily life as head of a company and Captain America focuses on Steve's past as a WWII veteran.

I feel that Secret Avengers and Avengers Academy should be desolved. These books only exist because the main Avengers team has grown way too large for it's own good. New Avengers is alright, but they should go back to the book being based on the New Avengers, such as Luke Cage, Spiderman, Wolverine, and newer members such as Daredevil and Thing. These characters also appear in the main Avengers book, and it's kind of confusing, to be honest.

Completely do away with these stupid maxi-series books, like FF, and the several thousand X-Men spinoff books.

Do a semi-reboot like DC, focus on the iconic characters with updated origins.

Kill Deadpool in lava.

Relinquish your rights to Star Wars.

Kill Deadpool. Somehow, just make it painful and satisfactory.

Exia
February 24, 2014, 9:41 AM
It's funny, everything Shin suggested to make Marvel "better" would turn it into the biggest pile of sh*t in my opinion. Frankly, from what I've been paying attention too the only issues with the X books is the fact that Wolverine is more or less the #1 guy, which is BS.

Frankly, DC sucks. Every time they back themselves into a corner they "Infinity Something" and reboot the entire universe so they can do revamped stories from the golden and silver age with a modern twist. They have no respect for their own history, the only thing DC has that's worth anything is their animation studio.

And you know Deadpool was created as a Deathstroke parody. In fact the guy who created DP (that's Deadpool, not double penetration) got hired by DC to fix all the problems they made with Deathstroke.

Shin Starlord
February 24, 2014, 1:33 PM
*sniff* You put a hole in my heart, Exia... but I can respect that.

It's just... Deadpool... I'm aware of his creation, and that's exactly why I dislike him. He's become more than a parody. He mocks the name of Deathstroke and has become one of Marvel's biggest names. Deadpool completely appeals to the internet age of comic book readers. He gained popularity on the internet, and he uses a lot of internet and popular culture references so he will garner attention from new, younger fans. He is absolutely not funny.

What I'm trying to say is, the "parody" of Deathstroke has gone on for too long. Deadpool is not only a disgrace to DC's Deathstroke, but the wide list of Marvel characters which he doesn't pay tribute to, but mocks.

I suppose one thing he has in common with Deathstroke that he doesn't mock is the fact that he won't hesitate to murder any person in cold blood. Deadpool however will do this for ANY apparent reason, while Deathstroke would always have a motive behind his killings.

Zeta-G
February 24, 2014, 2:27 PM
I'm not the biggest Marvel fan anymore, but Deadpool is awesome. Leave him alone. As for his "creator", Rob Liefeld is an idiot. He just ripped off Deathstroke's look and wanted to rip off his personality too; he still whines about Deadpool not being a total Deathstroke ripoff to this day. It was the writers who made Deadpool into the lovable parody that he is.

As for Marvel and DC, there's a different approach. Marvel does more flawed, everyday heroes (Spider-man is the classic example), while DC tends to go for more inspirational, better-than-the-average-man-type heroes (Superman is the best example of this). Both have their places, and both companies have characters that seem like they were made by the other.

The problem is DC has all of the writers these days. That or the Joe Quesada-Brian Michael Bendis Axis of Evil is suppressing the talent of Marvel's good writers. Seriously those two idiots and their cronies need to be removed for Marvel's own good.

Shin Starlord
February 24, 2014, 4:21 PM
I'm not the biggest Marvel fan anymore, but Deadpool is awesome. Leave him alone. As for his "creator", Rob Liefeld is an idiot. He just ripped off Deathstroke's look and wanted to rip off his personality too; he still whines about Deadpool not being a total Deathstroke ripoff to this day. It was the writers who made Deadpool into the lovable parody that he is.

As for Marvel and DC, there's a different approach. Marvel does more flawed, everyday heroes (Spider-man is the classic example), while DC tends to go for more inspirational, better-than-the-average-man-type heroes (Superman is the best example of this). Both have their places, and both companies have characters that seem like they were made by the other.

The problem is DC has all of the writers these days. That or the Joe Quesada-Brian Michael Bendis Axis of Evil is suppressing the talent of Marvel's good writers. Seriously those two idiots and their cronies need to be removed for Marvel's own good.

Okay fine. *hides in a corner and scribbles on some deadpool images*

I agree with their writers though. They need to focus on a good solid story rather than pushing out so many books.

Also that AR app, I never tried it out, but it doesn't substitute for bad writing, as cool as that app might be.

extend
February 25, 2014, 9:35 AM
I more inclined to choose Marvel over DC. As Zeta-G pointed out, the more flawed and everyday heroes appeal to me. I have stopped reading comics though. I only read manga now.

Ryutosuke
January 29, 2015, 11:02 PM
I like reading DC comics more. Probably only because my childhood hero was Superman. Yeah DC likes to revamp things but the story that goes into it is pretty awesome. I've read some marvel comics and my all time favorite is Old Man Logan. Wolverine is just badass here. In DC, The Killing Joke is great, Kingdom Come, Blackest Night and Brightest Day, and i've even come to like the New 52 series. Ever since the New 52 came out, i'm more inclined to follow the DC Universe rather than the Marvel Universe.

Zeta
January 29, 2015, 11:06 PM
I like reading DC comics more. Probably only because my childhood hero was Superman. Yeah DC likes to revamp things but the story that goes into it is pretty awesome. I've read some marvel comics and my all time favorite is Old Man Logan. Wolverine is just badass here. In DC, The Killing Joke is great, Kingdom Come, Blackest Night and Brightest Day, and i've even come to like the New 52 series. Ever since the New 52 came out, i'm more inclined to follow the DC Universe rather than the Marvel Universe.

So what would you say is your favorite series of the New 52? Mine and my brothers is the New 52 Wonder Woman, especially the earlier issues.

Ryutosuke
January 29, 2015, 11:10 PM
So what would you say is your favorite series of the New 52? Mine and my brothers is the New 52 Wonder Woman, especially the earlier issues.

I like the Superman, Justice League, Batman, Teen Titans, and the Flash New 52 series. The Death in the Family was a fun read from the Batman series. Trinity War was pretty cool as well from the Justice League series.

Zeta
January 29, 2015, 11:15 PM
Cool. Actually my dad has a few old comics, including a New Gods #1 and #2 both of which are first editions. Sadly, they are not signed by Jack Kirby.

Okiera29
January 29, 2015, 11:59 PM
Let see, anything frank Miller touched, got my first editions of robin tucked safely, early farewell and punished. Dropped X-Men in the late 80s always bat man... yes have both the separate 4 volume edition of dark knight and the single bound copy(Frank's best work) Spider man before venom, TMNT, before anYy of the movies... the list goes on... oh yeah, RDJ was the perfect and only choice for Tony Stark best marvel movie franchise so far, but they have started to lose their way a bit

Gundam_Asgard
January 30, 2015, 12:40 AM
Marvel easily. Marvel isn't afraid of their own universe. DC pisses itself by the mere thought of anything outside its norm.

Zeta-G
January 30, 2015, 1:36 AM
Let see, anything frank Miller touched, got my first editions of robin tucked safely, early farewell and punished. Dropped X-Men in the late 80s always bat man... yes have both the separate 4 volume edition of dark knight and the single bound copy(Frank's best work) Spider man before venom, TMNT, before anYy of the movies... the list goes on... oh yeah, RDJ was the perfect and only choice for Tony Stark best marvel movie franchise so far, but they have started to lose their way a bit
Do you really mean anything by Frank Miller? He's done a lot more than just TDKR and Year One. Holy Terror comes to mind as straight up racist trash.

@Gundam_Asgard: Marvel not afraid of their own universe? I'm assuming by this you mean not afraid of their continuity. To which I present One More Day (Spider-Man makes a deal with the Devil so Quesada can pull off a massive, unwanted retcon), Trouble (Aunt May, Uncle Ben, and Peter Parker's parents with all the depth and characterization of cardboard cutout slasher film victims), and the upcoming new Secret Wars, which by all accounts will be a massive DC style reboot. Those are just a few examples of Marvel being run by idiots. Quesada and Bendis have turned Marvel's comics into cheap trash, and they gloat about pissing off Marvel's long time fans and not caring about them. DC has its flaws, but it doesn't have quite the contempt for its existing fans that Marvel does.

As far as the Marvel movies go...
#Still Pissed About Mandarin

Gundam_Asgard
January 30, 2015, 2:01 AM
what I mean is, marvel makes use of their characters, and is even willing to make big changes, like look at Sam as Cap and thor's Sis as the god of thunder, or Cyclops becoming essentially the new Magneto. They are now giving us movies with non-mainstream characters and turning them bigger than ever thought possible, like Guardians of the galaxy.

Everything DC has done for years has revolved around the batman and Superman formula. and even their current stuff with Arrow and Flash feels like a rehash of the formers chemistry. And its always so repeated, like how Batman essentially only has like 3 different stories done over and over again with different names.

Zeta-G
January 30, 2015, 2:12 AM
Marvel didn't change Cap and Thor for artistic reasons. They did it to pander and to try to rope in new customers via a cheap gimmick, instead of by putting in hard work. Hard work would involve creating a wholly original new character and developing it into a success in its own right instead of giving it an existing character's alter ego and/or series. Marvel used to be capable of this. Then they stopped trying. Quesada and Bendis are talentless hacks who lack the talent necessary to create original characters that stand alone.

The movies mostly involve people outside of the braindead Quesada/Bendis collective. Guardians of the Galaxy owes its success to James Gunn's talent as a filmmaker being matched up with a budget worthy of his talent. If Marvel had done it themselves we would have gotten something on par with their crappy straight to video animated movies.