PDA

View Full Version : Do ZZ kits require glue?

ItsVince725
October 22, 2011, 10:32 PM
Hobby Link Japan has some ZZ kits on sale for very cheap, but I'm no good with glue and they do seem to include polycaps...So do they require glue or not?

johnny sokko
October 22, 2011, 10:56 PM
Depends on the model. For example, the 1/144 HGUC MSZ-010 ZZ Gundam doesn't require glue, although some modelers use glue to make joints more secure; but the 1/1700 EX-30 La-Vie-en Rose does require some glue.

ItsVince725
October 22, 2011, 11:10 PM
I'm mainly curious about the (all 1/144) Zssa, Ga-Zowmn, R-Jarja, and Gaza-D.

johnny sokko
October 22, 2011, 11:30 PM
Ya, those need glue.

ItsVince725
October 23, 2011, 12:03 AM
Ya, those need glue.

Darn.

What an odd intermediary step...still needing glue, but being the first kits to employ polycaps? When did Gunpla go glue-less, then?

Zeta-G
October 23, 2011, 12:21 AM
FWIW, HLJ has an row of indicators, including one for if the kit needs glue or not, in the little price box area of each kit's webpage, under the "Assembly Guide" heading.

ItsVince725
October 23, 2011, 12:34 AM
FWIW, HLJ has an row of indicators, including one for if the kit needs glue or not, in the little price box area of each kit's webpage, under the "Assembly Guide" heading.

They aren't always correct though.

Every SRW plamo kit indicates the need of glue and paint, but they are 100 percent snap together.

http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYKP-172

johnny sokko
October 23, 2011, 12:31 PM
Darn.

What an odd intermediary step...still needing glue, but being the first kits to employ polycaps? When did Gunpla go glue-less, then?

I'm not 100% on this, but The 1987 Gundam Sentinel model line introduced the concept of snap-fit models, reducing the need to use glue. And starting from the 1988 Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack line, all Gunpla kits feature snap-fit assembly. The majority of post-1990 models have snap-fit parts, with models prior to that requiring an adhesive such as plastic cement.

Maybe some of the senior members would know more on this. :D

ItsVince725
October 23, 2011, 1:15 PM
Well you guys saved me some money I can use for AGE kits, thanks.

johnny sokko
October 23, 2011, 3:13 PM
no problem, bud.

ItsVince725
October 24, 2011, 6:15 PM
Actually...

If I ever do get stuck having to glue a kit, what glue is best?

johnny sokko
October 24, 2011, 8:25 PM
Our models are made of injection-molded Polystyrene (PS), so it's best to use glue for that particular kind of plastic. Some glues can actually destroy the model, I'd hate to see you get a $70 Full Armor ZZ and have it ruined by using the wrong glue.

I generally buy glue from the hobby store that sells the models, although I've used everything under the sun. In the past for plastic models there was a glue I used to buy from Walmart that had a brush inside(not sure if they still carry it). The brush applicator was much better than the squeeze bottle.

But if you go to a model shop they will sell plastic liquid glue. You brush this on with small paint brush or they sometimes have a brush built in the lid. This glue is by far the best for plastic models

ItsVince725
October 24, 2011, 9:42 PM
Our models are made of injection-molded Polystyrene (PS), so it's best to use glue for that particular kind of plastic. Some glues can actually destroy the model, I'd hate to see you get a $70 Full Armor ZZ and have it ruined by using the wrong glue.

I generally buy glue from the hobby store that sells the models, although I've used everything under the sun. In the past for plastic models there was a glue I used to buy from Walmart that had a brush inside(not sure if they still carry it). The brush applicator was much better than the squeeze bottle.

But if you go to a model shop they will sell plastic liquid glue. You brush this on with small paint brush or they sometimes have a brush built in the lid. This glue is by far the best for plastic models

Thanks, the liquid super glue and plastic cement I'd used before just don't work worth a damn.