PDA

View Full Version : HGUC Gaplant "Hrairoo"

GNzaku0023
January 13, 2011, 7:16 PM
So I began working on my HGUC 1/144 Gaplant "Hrairoo" today, and man, this is going to take some time.
To start, I trimmed all the dark blue pieces off the runners. This left really bad stress marks and obvious gouges in th plastic :x :x :x It's an older kit, so I'm not surprised by the cheaper plastic that was used. Then again, the darker plastics always have visible stress marks. Regardless, this wasn't a huge issue for me, because I thought ahead!! Earlier in the day I had stopped in at our local Michaels and picked up some spray paint. At first, I thought I would just get some nice dark blue or flat black, but then something caught my eye. It was the Testors' Lacquer paint. I had never used this before, and was a tad iffy on it, but I went for it anyways. I got a nice dark metallic blue, and went on my merry way.

Anyways, back to the pieces.

I had sprayed all of them with the Lacquer, and the first coat blew me away. It went on nice and smooth, no runniness, no drips or filling in of details, just sheer gorgeousness.

Well after I was done, I decided to do a clear coat as usual. This was a mistake, as there's something about clear coat and lacquer that just doesn't mix. The clear coat had left spots all over the pieces I had coated. Fortunately, I had only done this on one set of pieces, and none of the others, so I didn't have to worry about trying to fix them. However, fixing the ones that had the spots was an easy task, as I just had to spray another coat of lacquer on top.

This is my progress so far, and I doubt I'll post more pictures due to the fact my camera died, and the chargers in the car, and it's cold outside.
[attachment=1:36fi9mzm]103_0156.JPG[/attachment:36fi9mzm]
[attachment=0:36fi9mzm]103_0157.JPG[/attachment:36fi9mzm]

GNzaku0023
January 13, 2011, 10:57 PM
Remember when I said no more pictures? I lied.
Here's one more of the torso and front skirts. Just got all this done in the past few hours. I have to say, this kit is providing quite the challenge, and I'm loving every second of it. The over coat of Lacquer paint after the clear coat did almost nothing. The spots are still there, though not as visible as before. Regardless, I'm trucking along, and I figure I'll probably be done by the time sunrise rolls around. I might keep posting pics throughout the night, and I'm sorry about crappy quality. They're taken on my cell phone's camera.
[attachment=0:2wuf8zpy]downsize.jpg[/attachment:2wuf8zpy]

NanoSpore
January 14, 2011, 12:42 AM
I'm liking that color.

GNzaku0023
January 14, 2011, 1:16 AM
Wait till I get some HD shots, you'll love it even more lol

So I'm trucking on through, not one single energy drink/mt. dew/caffine anthing and running on some corn dogs I had at around 9pm. I'm almost completely through my Tool playlist, and for those of us that know that band, it takes a lot of time to listen to just one album. I'm done with the torso, front/back skirt, head, and arms (mostly arms) Here's more pics:
[attachment=2:3rda8ar9]downsize (1).jpg[/attachment:3rda8ar9]
[attachment=1:3rda8ar9]downsize (2).jpg[/attachment:3rda8ar9]
[attachment=0:3rda8ar9]downsize (3).jpg[/attachment:3rda8ar9]

Now onto the legs... :cry:

GNzaku0023
January 14, 2011, 1:47 AM
It is now 1:40am here in F'burg, VA, and I am now on my second run of my Tool playlist. I'm not thinking about much except finishing this model. I have not gotten up from this spot. Sad, I know, but I have had no reason to get up. I feel like I'm getting closer to the end of this kit and closer to passing out once I get into bed. My thumbs are sliced and diced, a sign of a good modeler I suppose lol. Anyways, I've finished the legs, and here's the pic of them:
[attachment=0:b1whcbp8]downsize (4).jpg[/attachment:b1whcbp8]

As you can see, not a whole lot of detail here, in fact, this is the least detailed part of the whole kit (so far) Which is kind of odd, considering how detailed the skirts and arms are. Oh well, most of these are original Gaplant parts, which was an older kit to begin with.
You can see my MG Gundam MKII version 1.0 in the background there. Just kinda chillin' out.

Now onto weapons and...well, yeah...I think weapons are all I have left to do....though there seems to be a few boosters left on the runners, so I'm sure I'll use a few more before i'm dom. Rick Dom that is!!! :lol: hahahahaha.....oh wow I'm tired....

GNzaku0023
January 14, 2011, 3:09 AM
Builder's Log, Eastern seaboard time: 3:06 am.

The Gaplant "Hrairoo" has been completed. It took almost a full 12 hours straight to make sure everything was perfect. Well, almost everything. There are flaws with this kit, but I'll write a review once I get some sleep.
In the mean time, enjoy this last photo:
[attachment=0:3e970d6e]downsize (5).jpg[/attachment:3e970d6e]

GNzaku0023
January 14, 2011, 11:57 AM
New pics, again, from my cell:
[attachment=4:1hg39r61]downsize.jpg[/attachment:1hg39r61]
[attachment=3:1hg39r61]downsize (6).jpg[/attachment:1hg39r61]
[attachment=2:1hg39r61]downsize (7).jpg[/attachment:1hg39r61]
[attachment=1:1hg39r61]downsize (8).jpg[/attachment:1hg39r61]
[attachment=0:1hg39r61]downsize (9).jpg[/attachment:1hg39r61]

Overall, I'm quite happy with this kit. Even though it has some serious articulation issues (meaning almost no articulation) it still looks amazing. The front and back skirts are a little loose, and the polycap that you plug the stand into is also a little loose, and needs some adjusting before you can get the kit to stay on there without falling backwards, but once you do it sits perfectly still. The metallic blue Lacquer looks amazing, regardless of the clear coat issue, and everything besides the skirts feels incredibly solid.

So if you are a stickler for kits that have high articulation, this isn't for you.

If you like anything that looks good, this is most definitely a good choice.

However, this is not a kit for a novice. It took me 12 hours to make this kit as good as I can, (and I've built at least 16 kits), and some of the instructions can be confusing at times. (Either that or I was just too tired to figure it out the first time)

But all in all, this is a great looking kit, and I highly recommend it.

Zeta-G
January 15, 2011, 1:40 AM
I'm not a big fan of the Hrairoo design, but you did a really nice job with the kit. Can't wait to see a decent quality image of the completed model. :)

SilverFrameAstray
January 15, 2011, 12:18 PM
I really like that you put that dark blue lacquer on that. Looks amazing mate. I especially love the picture with the light making a ring around him. Intense maaaan.