PDA

View Full Version : Boxes! Boxes Everywhere!!

GNzaku0023
January 12, 2011, 12:39 PM
So I have to wonder, do any of you keep your boxes from your gunpla? I know I have started keeping my boxes and manuals back when I built legend. I find it's a good method to transport or store your gunpla and accessories. I don't know if it's just me, but I also get a sense of accomplishment (or sense oh no life lol) when I see that huge stack of gunpla boxes chillin in the corner of my room. I'll post pictures of all my boxes later, (as I'm in class right now) but go ahead and participate in the poll, tell us why you keep or don't keep the boxes, and post a picture of your box collection if you've got it!!

Asterisk
January 12, 2011, 12:48 PM
This became a problem for me some time back, actually. I started running out of space for them, so nowadays I largely throw my boxes away, but I DO keep some on hand for the following reasons:
To store my models during transport
Extra weapons/other bits
Manuals
Works-in-Progress

Despite owning upward of 80 models, I only have around a dozen boxes left.

Skittles
January 12, 2011, 1:18 PM
I've gotten pretty good at nestling them together, though I know eventually that I'll have to start carefully breaking them down for storage. I keep all my runners, too.

Manuals are in individual clear plastic sleeves in a big binder.

I've been keeping all the extra bits/weapons/hands in a little plastic drawer set and tin box, though what I really need to do is get those tiny ziploc bags from Hobby Lobby and mark everything properly before I forget what belongs to who. Originally, I did leave them in the kit boxes but digging in the back of my closet to switch a gun or something got really annoying.

Asterisk
January 12, 2011, 1:23 PM
I probably should clarify that I have all of my extra weapons and bits in ziplock bags, in boxes. I tried leaving them loose in a box, and it was too chaotic.

GNzaku0023
January 12, 2011, 1:26 PM
I actually have three black "drawers" on my wall. There's about a 5 inch space on top of them that I put my gunpla on, and then store the accessories inside the drawers. I'll post pics of those later too.

squeam
January 12, 2011, 10:04 PM
I would love to keep ALL my boxes, as the boxart is usually pretty good. But, in the interest of space-saving/quelling my natural "hoarding" impulses, I only save the very best boxes for storing extra bits and parts. Some of the really amazing boxes, I cut the top off and use them as liners in the bottoms of my dresser drawers. That way, each day I can see a lil Gundam awesomeness.

Extra pieces/stickers get stored in labeled Ziploc bags and then placed in larger Gunpla boxes; namely, MG The O, MG Infinite Justice and MG One Year War Gundam.

Manuals all get saved in a MG Titans MkII 2.0 box. I may try the binder idea, though; it seems like an even more organized approach.

Empty trees get trashed.

Asterisk
January 13, 2011, 6:40 AM
Here's one for you guys. When a kit has extra pieces it doesn't use, do you keep those?
I didn't for the longest time until it came back and bit me in the ass a few months back.

SilverFrameAstray
January 13, 2011, 10:03 AM
I always end up keeping all of my boxes and manuals. I end up keeping all of the pieces to everything anyway. I can't think of any parts I've decided I didn't feel like having anymore. If it weren't for the GN drive I gave to GNZ, Astraea could still transform into Exia.

GNzaku0023
January 16, 2011, 8:24 PM
So I thought I would just share my box collection lol:
[attachment=0:sqner17x]103_0177.JPG[/attachment:sqner17x]

Zeta-G
January 16, 2011, 8:39 PM
I keep both. I have a small wall being formed from them.

squeam
January 16, 2011, 11:21 PM
GNZ inspired me to show off my box collection, as well:

[attachment=0:a1zpvojm]SANY0234.JPG[/attachment:a1zpvojm]

*these are all my unbuilt kits.

GNzaku0023
January 16, 2011, 11:26 PM
Aw I feel honored. I'm getting like 8 more kits within the next two weeks, so I'm expecting more boxes to add lol.

ZeonPeon
January 17, 2011, 4:11 PM
You know we keep our boxes GNZ. What is the point of throwing them out? Worth more to us.

Allelujah
January 24, 2011, 1:33 AM
this is the reason why you should keep the boxes coz it's like puzzle pieces like this :D
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv310/Ryuk013/44-GundamExiaRepairII-HG-500x500.jpg

biggman15
February 9, 2011, 4:06 AM
About 20 minutes ago, I decided it was time I finally break down my box collection
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/biggman15/th_Clipboard01-3.png (http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/biggman15/Clipboard01-3.png)
And if your wondering, Gurren Lagann was mixed in with the boxes in my closet.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/biggman15/th_SANY1377.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/biggman15/SANY1377.jpg)
I broke down most of them, The RG Rx-78-2 box is filled with manuals and extra parts. Mostly those little rubber left over joints. I forget what there called. and the HG box is actually spare parts, I bought a second one because I busted a few pieces, happens I guess. the V-fin was the final straw!

edit:
Thought I might as well add that I have the other Rx-78-2 box filled with Weapons, hands, and everything else underneath Models that aren't currently on display.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/biggman15/th_SANY1378.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/biggman15/?SANY1378.jpg)
I keep it stuffed behind my keyboard on my computer desk.

Kamari13
February 9, 2011, 4:10 AM
I keep everything :D boxes are put up in my closet and manuals are kept in this :P

Kamari13
February 9, 2011, 4:12 AM

[attachment=0:20dmekkp]SANY0234.JPG[/attachment:20dmekkp]

O.O please tell me your going to do a review of the PG S.F. :D

squeam
February 9, 2011, 6:02 AM

[attachment=0:3ebuero1]SANY0234.JPG[/attachment:3ebuero1]

O.O please tell me your going to do a review of the PG S.F. :D

What!? Someone on this forum not berating me for having it?! :P

I've been thinking about whether to do a review of it or not, since there are a lot of reviews of it out there, it seems. I think what I'm going to TRY to do is make a video that is as short as I can, hitting all the highs and lows. Then, if anyone's interested, make some longer ones that go into more detail. I know that I have trouble watching an entire hour-long "James Cameron/Peter Jackson" video review epic, so if I can squeeze a bunch of info in a smaller vid, I'l try it......of course this is all hinging on when I actually finish the kit--it's a daunting task.

GNzaku0023
February 9, 2011, 8:04 AM
And if your wondering, Gurren Lagann was mixed in with the boxes in my closet.

YOUR DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT SHALL PIERCE THE HEAVENS!

(SFA just got me into gurren lagann lol)

I did something pretty awesome with my boxes, but I'll have to post a picture when I get home from classes.

NanoSpore
February 16, 2011, 11:50 PM
Well... I thought the movers lost one of my boxes of gundams... thank god I found it. =.=

There's a zoid and a code geass model thrown in there, but I keep the boxes of all my kits. (Oh, and a GUNDAM PUZZLE. :D)
[attachment=0:15p4a6vr]IMG_20110121_151232.jpg[/attachment:15p4a6vr]

GNzaku0023
May 7, 2011, 7:50 PM
My wall of awesomeness:
[attachment=1:1mxoe0an]1.jpg[/attachment:1mxoe0an]
[attachment=0:1mxoe0an]2.jpg[/attachment:1mxoe0an]

SilverFrameAstray
May 7, 2011, 10:16 PM
Oh man, I need to put a pic up of my wall now.

Red
May 8, 2011, 6:03 PM
Oh man, just looking at the boxes of kits makes me feel giddy. Does anyone else get that feeling? Anyway, here are most of my recent ones since I got back into gunpla:

SilverFrameAstray
May 8, 2011, 7:39 PM
How come I don't see Jegan up there? o3o

Red
May 9, 2011, 1:51 PM
Wasn't my latest pic. It was already on my phone so I decided to post it because it was convenient and I was too lazy to take a newer one. Vent Saviour is also missimg.

SilverFrameAstray
August 9, 2011, 11:27 PM
This is my wall of boxes right now. It will have about eight more in the next week.

Joe
August 21, 2011, 11:50 AM
I keep all of my manuals and just enough boxes to store my models in a coherent manner. For example, My MG The O Box contains The O, MG Zeta, MG Hyaku Shiki, and 4 MG Gundam Mk II kits. I may be able to fit the Quebeley in there when I get her built too...

HumanPackMule
September 1, 2011, 12:59 PM
I keep my boxes in a large stack in my room, keeping all runners and used sticker sheets in their respective boxes. I have the manuals in a single stack, the extra polycaps and spare parts in their own bags, as well as the accessories sorted into different bags( 00 1st +2nd season, HGUC, MG and RG). And by the way, how does everyone mount the boxes on their walls? Do you put tacks on the inside or something?

RX-78-2
September 1, 2011, 3:23 PM
NanoSpore is that a PG 00 raiser i spy if so post as many pics as humanly possible

Tetsuo_Ishikawa
September 2, 2011, 3:18 AM
I guess I am in the minority since I tear them up and toss them out. I do like the idea of the wall mosaic, I just don't have the space.

StarDrifter
September 2, 2011, 8:17 AM
I keep all my boxes in my closet, each with the respective kit's manual and accessories. If I don't want to display a kit, I'll keep in it's box as well.

Kenico
September 2, 2011, 1:34 PM
I do keep the boxes and the manuals, but when it comes to the boxes, i keep only the cover box. heck when i got my Hi-Nu, i cut up the Box and put it up on my wall as a poster. lol

xArucardx
September 2, 2011, 2:51 PM
Heck yeah, I keep all my boxes and manuals! I dunno, I like seeing a big stack of accomplishments lol Well, accomplishments to me, anyway.

ZeonPeon
September 11, 2011, 6:12 PM
Heck yeah, I keep all my boxes and manuals! I dunno, I like seeing a big stack of accomplishments lol Well, accomplishments to me, anyway.

I see a certain HG Deathscythe Hell that looks very familiar. I still have that box too, even though it was my first and I didn't know better to whether throw the box out or not.

Lord Atmo
October 12, 2011, 9:17 AM
I used to keep the boxes, but oh man...the stack got higher than my ceiling and I had to do something....

So I just cut the "face" off of each box and kept those stacked cuz the art is just so...great. Kept 1 or 2 boxes around to store all my accessories though

userpay
December 19, 2011, 12:36 PM
Haven't bought gundams for a few years but with the exception of the very first two kits I got (very young, in fact those two are missing most of their parts) I kept all my boxes and instructions for my models. Got a few figures that are languishing in a plastic tub as well.

RX-78-2
December 19, 2011, 1:42 PM
Man you have a Nu gundam figure! You need to get those out!

ItsVince725
December 19, 2011, 1:51 PM
I have piles of boxes...Probably should do something about that.

Bardock617
January 3, 2012, 4:14 PM
Boxes are great. only thing is my dad hounds me about keeping them. thinks im flippin crazy. he doesn't understand the sanctity. o.o too bad its gonna be really hard when i want to put the SD Kshatriya away in the box.... its probably the biggest SD model i have ever seen.

Exia
January 3, 2012, 4:28 PM
I keep a few of them now, the ones that are the biggest so I can hold the ones that aren't out. Then I use a special big box to hold all the fronts of the boxes I don't need, so I still keep the front art of everything I have.

Gundamben831
September 21, 2012, 8:48 PM
So I was wondering with my accumulating pile of gundam boxes I was curious what does everyone do with them? I will sometimes break them down and flatten the top lid just so I can categorize what I have in my collection (honestly its just easier to look and find the actual model on my shelf) sometimes if they are doubles I will just amass all my loose parts into one MG box. I used to just keep them whole and have a giant pile of gundam boxes in my closet, but after a while they stack up and leaving me with no space to store my un-built kits. When I was younger I remember all the MG kits came with a poster type cover under the lid and I would just save those and put them up in my office or near my computer but now most to all MG kits don't even come with that little piece anymore just the kit instructions and that's it now. So please tell me what you all like to do after your done building your gunpla what do you do with your boxes?

Exia
September 21, 2012, 8:56 PM
Depends on the box. Usually I keep my bigger ones for storing models not on display, but for the ones that aren't that big I cut them apart and throw most out. I just keep the top of the box art and then cut the sides off and keep them in another box specifically for box tops.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/dr34ms1nd1g1t4l/DSC02471_zpsda0dccf2.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/dr34ms1nd1g1t4l/DSC02473_zpsccb51381.jpg

I've got almost every model I've ever built's top in that box. I need to go thru some the boxes I have now, the stack is getting pretty big.

Gundamben831
September 21, 2012, 9:03 PM
how is that convention HG set btw? I passed on that one so many times only because I'm not too much of a fan of the clear color stuff but due to the fact that its both Exia and GN 000 it has put me on the edge of purchasing quite a few times.

Exia
September 21, 2012, 9:08 PM
It's like any other HG set, just the standard RII and 0 Gundams in special clear boxed together. I coudn't find a just the RII in clear so I opted to get the set.

squeam
September 21, 2012, 9:34 PM
Merged this thread with a previous one so you could scroll up and see what other ideas for empty boxes are out there!

Dlinker
September 21, 2012, 9:36 PM
I have them stacked under my bed and in my closet as is with empty runners inside. I should try Exia's arrangement and just keep the box tops, but flattened so I can have more room for the other kits I'm going to buy soon.

Gundamben831
September 21, 2012, 9:39 PM
Merged this thread with a previous one so you could scroll up and see what other ideas for empty boxes are out there!

sorry Squeam I didn't know there was a thread already, next time I will look deeper

Gundamben831
September 21, 2012, 9:44 PM
It's like any other HG set, just the standard RII and 0 Gundams in special clear boxed together. I coudn't find a just the RII in clear so I opted to get the set.

ok so maybe I can ask you this, so what is the difference in the two Exia models the first one from season one and then the second version you see at the end of season two with the green gn blade

Exia
September 21, 2012, 9:59 PM
ok so maybe I can ask you this, so what is the difference in the two Exia models the first one from season one and then the second version you see at the end of season two with the green gn blade

The first one from season 1 is just Exia, the one you see in season 2 is Exia Repair II. The differences are in the blade, the blue shoulder armor, part of the body, as well as the legs, forearms and the back part of the hip armor and a 2nd GN drive with the opening gimmick for GN burst mode.

Gundamben831
September 21, 2012, 10:40 PM
The first one from season 1 is just Exia, the one you see in season 2 is Exia Repair II. The differences are in the blade, the blue shoulder armor, part of the body, as well as the legs, forearms and the back part of the hip armor and a 2nd GN drive with the opening gimmick for GN burst mode.

wow there is a lot that I never noticed they are just so suttle that I barely can tell

Exia
September 21, 2012, 10:53 PM
I've built 2 RIIs, the clear one and the metallic/pearl finish. As well as 3 Exia, the normal, the trans-am, and GN Arms Type-E trans am version. Plus 3 Astraea, 1 normal type and 2 type-Fs, but for one of the Astraea Type-F's I used the Exia conversion parts and made a red Exia. The Astraea shares the same style build as as the Exia as far as body/arms/legs/ with minor differences.

So with that in mind I learned the differences pretty well. Oh, and if you buy an Exia RII it comes with conversion parts to make a normal Exia so then it's extra easy to spot the differences haha.

thwalker13
September 21, 2012, 11:02 PM
Hadn't seen this thread before so I thought that I'd throw in my two cents. I keep everything. Boxes, manuals, extra parts, and sometimes the runners if they have a lot of parts left on them.

Gundamben831
September 21, 2012, 11:47 PM
I've built 2 RIIs, the clear one and the metallic/pearl finish. As well as 3 Exia, the normal, the trans-am, and GN Arms Type-E trans am version. Plus 3 Astraea, 1 normal type and 2 type-Fs, but for one of the Astraea Type-F's I used the Exia conversion parts and made a red Exia. The Astraea shares the same style build as as the Exia as far as body/arms/legs/ with minor differences.

So with that in mind I learned the differences pretty well. Oh, and if you buy an Exia RII it comes with conversion parts to make a normal Exia so then it's extra easy to spot the differences haha.
ah ok I will keep that in mind as I do plan on buying both versions of the GN 000 CB colors and the Exia RII only because that last fight was just too awesome and because I have madly become addicted to 1/144 kits its insane. I think what started my craze was Beginning Gundam and the RG RX-78-2 more so the RG kit but man seeing how much Bandai had improved the 1/144 kits since I was a kid blew me away I mean quite literally. I remember my first 1/144 wing kits and how their hands were just these funky little hands that were in the poly-cap tree =/ man that always put a bad taste in my mouth and then with the MG and PG kits I just never bothered to look back at them until last year. So with that being said I more than likely will have amassed 16-20 HG kits by the end of this year only because it takes me less than a week to build them to my liking.

But not to stray from the topic of the matter I still am finding more uses for the boxes such as the PG boxes... since they are so damn big they make perfect storage boxes for paperwork or files or hell even as Exia pointed out you can put in a whole bunch of instructions or extra parts ect. I have been as of lately trying to complete every bit of each kit only because I don't like having large plastic trees clogging up space in the boxes and putting all the extra parts into little ziplock baggies and storing them in my Haro ball =3 which is almost the center of my gundam collection lol.

Squee
September 21, 2012, 11:53 PM
I used to keep the boxes, but then i realized, why bother? I actually recycled a good 25 MG Boxes and about 20 HG boxes a month or so back. I just put all of the extra parts in little sandwich bags.

Suzaku
September 22, 2012, 12:04 AM
I used to keep the empty boxes, but then I moved so they all got tossed. I hadn't done enough models since I moved to bother flattening, but I did scrap a couple boxes tonight. I kept the flattened lids and collected the manuals and spare parts to other empty boxes.

Jfl0
September 22, 2012, 9:12 AM
I keep all manuals in a safe place. I build custom transport boxes for ALL of my models out of wood and cardboard.

uncleremuslegend
September 22, 2012, 10:27 AM
I keep all the box faces and manuals inside of 2boxes...gfalcon hg box houses all the tops, gpo2 box houses manuals

Deathscythe!
September 22, 2012, 11:20 AM
I've been storing my 3 boxes I've acquired in a big box to maintain significant things such as manuals.

ratfacedudeguy
September 22, 2012, 1:00 PM
I'm growing a small mountain of boxes on the spare bed in the basement. I have all my recently completed kits stored down there, so that's Glorious Series Gouf and Rick Dom, PG Strike Freedom, RX-78-2, and GP01, Mega Size AGE-1 Normal, and the MG Full Armor Unicorn box will be joining them this afternoon, with the PG 00 Raiser and clear parts boxes joining them whenever it is I get around to building it. Maybe I'll snap a pic or 2 when I throw the Unicorn box down there this afternoon. It's pretty ridiculous lol. Oh, and manuals are a necessity of course. I'll probably try out the binder method for manual storage because I really like that idea, and I'm tired of storing them right underneath the corresponding model's feet lol.

EDIT: Here you go!

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae58/ratfacedudeguy/IMG_20120922_132834_zpscad974ba.jpg

Deathscythe!
September 22, 2012, 3:01 PM
Impressive. is it just me remarking things improperly or is each one of these decently huge ?

ratfacedudeguy
September 22, 2012, 3:39 PM
Oh no, they're huge alright lol. I could easily use the GP01 box as a suitcase.

EDIT: Here's a shot after adding the 00 Raiser boxes, the PG Wing Zero Custom box, and a beanie baby as the most handy thing I could find as a size reference. I'd say a beanie baby is about as tall as an average HG model sitting down, and a MG model standing up:

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae58/ratfacedudeguy/IMG_20120922_154837_zps9724437e.jpg

MechaGaikotsu
October 11, 2012, 9:42 AM
I only keep boxes of unfinished kits. These are unfinished kits! :eek:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8317/8039121492_d58cdb4386_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87835806@N02/8039121492/)
DSCF1006 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87835806@N02/8039121492/) by Mechagaikotsu1 (http://www.flickr.com/people/87835806@N02/), on Flickr

Dlinker
October 11, 2012, 2:37 PM
Heck of a backlog you have there. I remember building the VF-25S Super Messiah last year and it still took me several days to finish (that's with no nub clean-up or painting) so that might keep you busy for a while. I like the variety in your backlog too.

Suzaku
October 11, 2012, 4:15 PM
I'm particularly fond of your Huckebein Mk.II :D

I've contemplated dabbling in SRW kits, but I can never seem to find them when I have the money to buy one. And Bandai has never put out an Angelg :(