PDA

View Full Version : Clear Paint questions

Ultra
April 16, 2013, 2:49 PM
If you use clear paint on an opaque piece of plastic will the piece still be clear? For example if I had a clear black piece from a toy and then painted it with clear yellow paint would it work and give me something that appeared looked clear yellow? Also what would happen if you put clear paint onto a normally coloured piece of plastic (i.e. not opaque). All of this would be done with an airbrush.

Thanks

Dlinker
April 16, 2013, 3:19 PM
The piece would still be clear, but it won't be yellow. The clear paint pigment isn't enough to overpower the plastic color and if you add more layers, it will become a yellow/black color instead.

On a non-clear piece of plastic, it will do the same thing. That's why it's preferred to have a neutral color underneath so the clear paint won't be conflicting with it.

Ultra
April 17, 2013, 6:41 AM
What about with a darker colour? For examble if I sprayed clear black over a plastic piece that was clear purple? Would it just make it appear like a darker purple colour? If so would it have the same effect with an even lighter colour like light blue?

Dlinker
April 17, 2013, 10:59 AM
Put on enough layers and yeah, the clear pigment will start to mix with the color of the plastic. For your first question, it will become a darker shade of purple, then eventually even more black if you continue putting on layers. For your second question, it might become gray because if you mix black with light blue, you end up with more of a grayish color than a darker light blue.

Gunplacore
April 18, 2013, 1:27 AM
If you sprayed clear black over a clear purple piece, then yes, it would have a certain darkening affect. After enough coats you might not be able to tell the piece was ever even purple. Clear black would quickly overpower light blue though, I'm not sure that would be a good strategy unless you go slowly with your coats of clear black.

Squee
April 19, 2013, 12:31 AM
I've seen it done where you can get away with lightly changing it. Need to find the wip on ge but a guy changed a clear red to green (i think) Lots of very thin layers of clear. Need to look for what colors were involved.

Voco
March 18, 2015, 10:19 AM
for best effect of clear paint, primer > gloss black ( gaia ex 02 ) > aluminium/silver/chrome > clear colors. will have a metallic/candy color depending on your layer. :p hope it helps.