PDA

View Full Version : MG RX-0 Unicorn

V0LTES-V01
April 8, 2013, 1:26 AM
Greetings friends! It's time for me to move on to the next phase of my Gunpla adventure. And that next phase is Color Application.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8367/8596589720_a4af9ff58b_n.jpg http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8248/8596589736_37e034734e_n.jpg

This is the current progress at the hangar. RX-0 patiently wait for its new color scheme. The wait will be worth it.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8384/8630604206_1d9c4e358f.jpg

cellastra
April 8, 2013, 1:44 AM
Hey bro~ I'm a huge fan of the RX-0 and the way it looks now is already badass~! :D
Can't wait to see what you've got in store for this kit~ Good luck!

Deathscythe!
April 8, 2013, 8:29 AM
I've heard a few traits and facts, mainly complaints about the MG Unicorn.

Mind telling me whether it'S really that bad?

Dlinker
April 8, 2013, 11:02 AM
Are you going to be keeping it in one mode only? I heard it can be a challenge to transform once painted.

Interested to see what colors you're going to pick out for this.

V0LTES-V01
April 8, 2013, 11:24 AM
Hey bro~ I'm a huge fan of the RX-0 and the way it looks now is already badass~! :D
Can't wait to see what you've got in store for this kit~ Good luck!
RX-0 is definitely badass, especially on Destroy Mode and Full Armor :cool:. I've already started on the right leg and painted its armor with pearl white. Thanks for the good luck wish friend, I'll definitely need it!

I've heard a few traits and facts, mainly complaints about the MG Unicorn.

Mind telling me whether it'S really that bad?
Yes there's quite a few. Before I purchased the kit, I watched numerous reviews about it. And while the reviewer is presenting it, pieces would pop/fall off, such as the side skirts and ankle guards. The range of articulation is very small and limited especially with the legs. The legs cannot bend to its full capacity. The feet follows suit and has a very small range of articulation, mainly because of its design, it prevents it from certain twist and rotation. And no, it's not bad at all. The least I could say is that it's bearable. Things like these are to be expected, we just have to work with it. The kit is still badass though.

V0LTES-V01
April 8, 2013, 11:49 AM
Are you going to be keeping it in one mode only? I heard it can be a challenge to transform once painted.

Interested to see what colors you're going to pick out for this.
I will only keep it in Destroy Mode after I showcase it's double form in the forum. And yes, I also heard from reviewers about it being difficult to transform once painted, thus keeping it in Destroy Mode. I've already painted the armor of the right leg in pearl white. After I saw the Titanium version of the kit, I already knew the color scheme that I would apply :D. I'm aiming with that direction and maybe even go further by making it shine even more. I'm quite excited with this phase.

Deathscythe!
April 8, 2013, 12:22 PM
Okay another question :

What camera do you normally use to take pictures with?

V0LTES-V01
April 8, 2013, 6:03 PM
Okay another question :

What camera do you normally use to take pictures with?
That would be Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W220. It's just a regular point-and-shoot camera that takes exceptional photos under good lighting. The images posted are optimized with Adobe Photoshop for clarity.

Click [here] (http://snapsort.com/img/cam/sony_cyber-shot_dsc-w290/sony_cyber-shot_dsc-w290_angle_medium.jpg) to see what the camera looks like.

jayhat100
April 8, 2013, 6:08 PM
Glad to see your finialy digging in and starting this looking forward to watching the build.

thwalker13
April 8, 2013, 6:50 PM
Same here. I'll be keeping an eye on this build. I've stayed away from this MG kit and went with the HG version instead. So I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Dlinker
April 9, 2013, 12:24 AM
Ah, I see those painted parts in your pic now. Hmmmm, interesting to see it's a darker shade. I think it's a very good match and with the added sparkly effect, it looks dazzling under good lighting.

V0LTES-V01
April 22, 2013, 8:45 PM
Glad to see your finialy digging in and starting this looking forward to watching the build.
Yeah, I know, it is about time that I work on this project! But progress is slow I'm afraid. Although I would rather it have it that way than rush on through.

Same here. I'll be keeping an eye on this build. I've stayed away from this MG kit and went with the HG version instead. So I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.
The MG version do has some prominent flaws such as lack of articulation and armor pieces falling off. But put aside its flaws, its still look badass, especially on Destroy mode.

Ah, I see those painted parts in your pic now. Hmmmm, interesting to see it's a darker shade. I think it's a very good match and with the added sparkly effect, it looks dazzling under good lighting.
Indeed, good lighting makes a big difference in showcasing a complex paint. Unfortunately I only have a lampshade to work with LOL. I might try and take pictures outside when the sun is out next time around; nothing beats natural light.

Alright friends, I'm back for a minor update on the project. I managed to apply the right frame of the leg with Dark Steel. I really like the color for its enhanced metallic vibe.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8405/8669466236_16da789319.jpg

I originally set aside the armaments for last. But I just got so excited with the Carbon Mist color scheme I picked out that I just had to go on and apply it. The armaments is by all means not finish, it will be detailed. Gotta thank thwalker13 for inspiration on his detailing talent.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8382/8669466284_646450429f.jpg

The armor for the right leg is finished. The glimmering effect of the Pearl White is just awesome. Diggin' the color very much.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8380/8669466356_5a4064777f.jpg

Dlinker
April 23, 2013, 2:31 AM
Yes, please take a pic with this under natural sunlight. I bet it will look amazing :) Sparkly effects like that always look good under the sun.

That dark steel gives the frame a dirty metallic look. Are you going to be flat-coating at the end?

thwalker13
April 23, 2013, 7:46 AM
I can see a bit of sparkly affect now that I'm on a different screen. This Unicorn will look great with armor like that. And I love that gunmetal you used. What is it?

jayhat100
April 23, 2013, 9:27 PM
I is comming along nicely what brand is the dark steel.

V0LTES-V01
April 24, 2013, 8:07 PM
Yes, please take a pic with this under natural sunlight. I bet it will look amazing :) Sparkly effects like that always look good under the sun.

That dark steel gives the frame a dirty metallic look. Are you going to be flat-coating at the end?
Yes, it does look dirty doesn't it? That's the effect of angled light I'm afraid. I was working with one of those lamp with a clip - and I clipped it on an overhead cupboard. The lamp neck wasn't quite long enough to reach the parts and give it some ample light LOL. And in regards to the coat, I wanted to preserve the sheen of the paint's metallic vibe and so just a few minutes ago coated it with a gloss finish.

I can see a bit of sparkly affect now that I'm on a different screen. This Unicorn will look great with armor like that. And I love that gunmetal you used. What is it?
Yeah it's quite hard to see the effects of the Pearl without taking a closer look. That's a fault on my part, I should've taken the pictures outside.

And I agree, the Pearl definitely looks great on Unicorn. I even purchased a special decal to accentuate the whole metallic theme.

Oh and the paints I used are RUST-OLEUM.

I is comming along nicely what brand is the dark steel.
Thanks man! Slowly but surely! That Dark Steel paint is by RUST-OLEUM from good ol' Home Depot.

thwalker13
April 24, 2013, 8:23 PM
I've heard some horror stories about using Rust-Oleum on models. Have you ever had any kind of trouble out of it at all? And do you clear coat it with anything?

Dlinker
April 25, 2013, 1:46 AM
Wow, going the spray can route with it. I thought it was an AB, haha.

That's some good control you have with the cans. I often spray primer from a can when I'm feeling too lazy to break out the AB and I almost always end up spraying too much.

V0LTES-V01
April 25, 2013, 11:15 AM
I've heard some horror stories about using Rust-Oleum on models. Have you ever had any kind of trouble out of it at all? And do you clear coat it with anything?
I re-examined the parts that I painted after I read your statement LOL! But no, no trouble at all, so far so good. I gloss coated the frame of the right leg and armor with Krylon Crystal Clear. I left out the armaments for the moment since it will be detailed.

Wow, going the spray can route with it. I thought it was an AB, haha.

That's some good control you have with the cans. I often spray primer from a can when I'm feeling too lazy to break out the AB and I almost always end up spraying too much.
LOL I thought this might be a good start and learning experience for a novice like me.

I've had some background with spray cans in the past for random projects (House, Car, Electronics, etc). Although before I took on this project, I came across a tutorial video from Hobby Link Japan. And in the video they shared the combing technique. I'm glad I encountered that video, it really helped a lot.

I'm with you on the lazy part LOL. Part of the reason I chose the spray can route is because it's fast. :D

And oh man, the dreaded over-spray paint puddle. I've had a few of those in the past when I did those random projects. They can be tough to be remedied. And so now I try my best not to spray on one spot for too long.

V0LTES-V01
May 10, 2013, 2:30 PM
Hey y'all, yours truly is back for an update. The project is still in motion LOL, just excuse the turtle progress. Summer is upon us, so I'm quite occupied with outdoor activities. Well here it is, the right leg. I will not be showing the Destroy Mode in its WIP stage. That is something I reserved for the official showcase. :cool:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7317/8725749095_d6c99b48ec.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7349/8725749127_6a9427b9a8.jpg

Alright, off to the right arm! :D

Dlinker
May 10, 2013, 3:00 PM
Looking good, especially the sparkly blue on the feet.

thwalker13
May 10, 2013, 3:57 PM
Looks great man. That blue and white really go well together.

V0LTES-V01
May 12, 2013, 12:01 PM
Looking good, especially the sparkly blue on the feet.

Looks great man. That blue and white really go well together.
Thanks comrades! I had to rush this showcase since I haven't been on in a while. I haven't even finish putting on the metallic decals on the leg. Just wanted to show you some progress.

Dlinker
May 12, 2013, 1:41 PM
No worries on not being in the forum in a while. Take your time, do it at your own pace, and then show off the glory, haha.

thwalker13
May 12, 2013, 2:14 PM
As a good friend of mine always says. "Do it once, do it right."

jayhat100
May 13, 2013, 12:31 PM
Unicorn is looking smashing, wish I would have painted mine.

V0LTES-V01
May 17, 2013, 11:25 PM
No worries on not being in the forum in a while. Take your time, do it at your own pace, and then show off the glory, haha.

As a good friend of mine always says. "Do it once, do it right."
LOL, it will be glorious indeed! Well.. I hope anyways. Thanks fellas, I try to remind myself to keep the pace steady and fluid. :)

Unicorn is looking smashing, wish I would have painted mine.
Thanks man, I appreciate that! You can still opt to paint yours right?
----------
I managed to finish the right arm. It's fully plastered with metallic decal on the indicated sections instructed by the manual. Here is the result.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8407/8748486423_a69d3d988c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/8748486443_76d7c48362.jpg

Alright, off to the torso! :D

Dlinker
May 18, 2013, 1:52 AM
Is it just the photo or is that white looking creamier than usual? Like an off-white color, which I think looks better than standard white.

Great choice going for the metallic decals. Matches the sparkly armor really well and makes sense.

thwalker13
May 18, 2013, 11:53 AM
You noticed the off white too? It does look like a more "cream" color.

Bossguy
May 18, 2013, 12:21 PM
I love that. I love the *sparkle* *sparkle* paint job you did on the kit, especially that off-white.

V0LTES-V01
May 26, 2013, 12:07 AM
Is it just the photo or is that white looking creamier than usual? Like an off-white color, which I think looks better than standard white.

Great choice going for the metallic decals. Matches the sparkly armor really well and makes sense.

You noticed the off white too? It does look like a more "cream" color.
Only one lampshade (angled position) was used when the pictures was taken, thus it gave off the "cream" effect of the pearl. Funny thing about the decal is that I didn't know such version existed until I plugged in the query on the search engine. Then bam, next thing I know I was on good ol' Ebay. It was a very good discovery. The metallic decal really does accentuate the project's theme.

I love that. I love the *sparkle* *sparkle* paint job you did on the kit, especially that off-white.
Thanks comrade! Wait until you see its Destroy Mode! I'm tempted to show it, but it's the main highlight of the project so I must save it for the official showcase.
----------
Here is the finished torso.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2811/8835013498_6ce95ac554.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2887/8835013202_8cff3144f7.jpg

Alright, off to the waist! :D

Dlinker
May 26, 2013, 12:27 AM
Hey, a black decal. Rarely see those. Looks great on top of that paint job.

And yeah, now it's looking more white, haha.

thwalker13
May 26, 2013, 10:56 AM
This is looking more awesome and awesome every time I see a picture of it.

V0LTES-V01
June 9, 2013, 10:02 AM
Hey, a black decal. Rarely see those. Looks great on top of that paint job.

And yeah, now it's looking more white, haha.
LOL. That's metallic silver. Although the picture does give the impression of a black color.

This is looking more awesome and awesome every time I see a picture of it.
Thank you kind sir! Awesome comments are always appreciated!
----------
Greetings friends, I'm back with the finished waist. Here it is...

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2853/8992826432_a93bc5c8d9.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7283/8992826528_ca541b6cfb.jpg

Alright, I'm off to the backpack unit. I finished the head unit as well (unicorn mode). I'll include it on the next update.

Bossguy
June 9, 2013, 10:33 AM
Do I see some sparkly red peeking out from that waist? Excellent job on this one. Your work on this is amazing.

thwalker13
June 9, 2013, 11:25 AM
Do you think you'll have any issues with the Transformation? Seeing as how you've painted the armor and the inner frame? BTW, the waist section is looking awesome man.

Dlinker
June 9, 2013, 1:39 PM
Haha, yeah, those decals look black in your pics.

I'm curious about any potential damage to the paint job as well during transformation, or at the very least some marks left by the clear coat. The white color should make it less obvious, but still.

V0LTES-V01
June 9, 2013, 2:36 PM
Do I see some sparkly red peeking out from that waist? Excellent job on this one. Your work on this is amazing.
LOL. You have keen eyes friend... keen eyes! But that's all you get for now until the official showcase! Thanks for the kind words! :D

Do you think you'll have any issues with the Transformation? Seeing as how you've painted the armor and the inner frame? BTW, the waist section is looking awesome man.

Haha, yeah, those decals look black in your pics.

I'm curious about any potential damage to the paint job as well during transformation, or at the very least some marks left by the clear coat. The white color should make it less obvious, but still.
The transformation is now twice as challenging. The transformation phase is not, even though bothersome, smooth as before. The transformation is so challenging that I have to use a blade to pry open armor sections that reveal the psycho frame. And since the psycho frame is heavily detailed, it doubles the drawback of the transformation phase. This drawback is largely emphasized with the psycho frame that requires a slide action. The kit became so delicate that I wear gloves when I work on it. It's just a precaution just in case my claw of a hand slips and damage the coating and decal. And so that being said, I will not transform this kit again after the official showcase LOL.

thwalker13
June 9, 2013, 3:50 PM
I was going to say, I'd transform it once. ONCE, and leave it for eternity.

Ginga Bishōnen
June 9, 2013, 5:04 PM
nice work so far, looking better and better with every update.

jayhat100
June 13, 2013, 9:19 PM
Unicorn is really starting to take shape and looking sharp. impatiently waiting for it to be finished.

V0LTES-V01
June 18, 2013, 11:07 AM
I was going to say, I'd transform it once. ONCE, and leave it for eternity.
LOL Agreed!

nice work so far, looking better and better with every update.
Thanks Ginga! Much appreciated..

Unicorn is really starting to take shape and looking sharp. impatiently waiting for it to be finished.
Thanks jayhat! I too am very anxious to complete the project! I'll get there eventually, so just bear with me a little bit more LOL.
----------
Well folks, the Backpack Unit is still in the works unfortunately. Although the pyscho frame for the unit is finished. It's the backpack armor and verniers that needs more attention. I mentioned on the last post that I will include an update on the Head Unit. And so, here it is...

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2862/9071164617_4e1082db3e.jpg

I thought about adding some decals on the Head Unit. Comrades, what are your opinions on this? Should I continue with the idea or leave it as it is?

Alright, since I'm tremendously slow with updates. I'll make it up with this image. I had reserved the idea of showing a partial assembled Unicorn when the Backpack Unit is finished, but not all plans goes accordingly I'm afraid LOL.
http://www.gundamforums.com/images/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3805/9071164707_f1275b4029_z.jpg

thwalker13
June 18, 2013, 12:11 PM
WOW! That looks amazing man. The white, the blue, the decals, the hint of red underneath, the inner frame. Dude that Unicorn is looking awesome!

Dlinker
June 18, 2013, 1:14 PM
The pearl and metallic coatings shine the most for me, with the decals being a close second. Excellent stuff.

As for the head, I'm a fan of putting a decal or two on the head so that's my vote :)

jayhat100
June 19, 2013, 8:48 PM
Love the decals, I have seen those on ebay how are they working out.

V0LTES-V01
July 16, 2013, 11:37 PM
WOW! That looks amazing man. The white, the blue, the decals, the hint of red underneath, the inner frame. Dude that Unicorn is looking awesome!

The pearl and metallic coatings shine the most for me, with the decals being a close second. Excellent stuff.

As for the head, I'm a fan of putting a decal or two on the head so that's my vote :)

Thank you very much!

...and Dlinker, I've taken your vote into account.

Love the decals, I have seen those on ebay how are they working out.
I like the decals a lot as well. I didn't know they exist until I came across them on ebay. And they are working out just fine. The application process is very simple which makes working with a new material easy.
----------
The gravity of summer completely got me pinned down. Thus I haven't had much of a liberty to work on the project. But luckily, a few days ago I had the opportunity to continue and finish the Backpack Unit.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2849/9302523701_8044f88860_n.jpg

And here it is mounted on Unicorn... well, portion of Unicorn LOL.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5475/9302523773_0a886eaed2.jpg

And I've taken into account to apply some decals on the Head Unit.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2857/9302523837_7790ffcc49_n.jpg

Now I will be moving on to the opposite Arm Unit.

thwalker13
July 16, 2013, 11:40 PM
Holy stars Batman! That blue looks awesome. I love it. Kinda reminds me of a bass boat.

Dlinker
July 17, 2013, 1:23 AM
I agree, the blue on the backpack is beautiful. Just a joy to look at. Curious, though: is that a bright pearl blue or a darker pearl blue?

V0LTES-V01
July 17, 2013, 10:55 PM
Holy stars Batman! That blue looks awesome. I love it. Kinda reminds me of a bass boat.
Thanks! LOL awesome Batman reference is an instant thumbs up from me. It does kind of resemble a bass boat now that you mentioned it LOL. All is missing are the tiny seats to get the full effect.

I agree, the blue on the backpack is beautiful. Just a joy to look at. Curious, though: is that a bright pearl blue or a darker pearl blue?
Thanks comrade. It's the same blue that I used to coat the first foot armor. It's a dark pearl blue; I focused the light lamp on the Backpack Unit thus the appearance of a bright pearl blue.

Dlinker
July 18, 2013, 1:26 AM
Alright, cool. I hope you're still planning on displaying it outside to take some pics where the sun can shine on it. I bet that monster will sparkle like no other.

V0LTES-V01
July 28, 2013, 7:59 PM
Alright, cool. I hope you're still planning on displaying it outside to take some pics where the sun can shine on it. I bet that monster will sparkle like no other.
Oh most definitely! I already picked the venue for it. It will be by the beach park where I go fishing; on top of the giant boulders on the coast. Just wait till you see the psycho frame! I am tempted to show it, but I must resist. LOL
----------
Alright friends, I'm back with a quick update on good ol' RX-0. Here is the completed opposite Arm Unit.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7335/9387182402_54ee82d84e.jpg

And here it is mounted.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7285/9387182500_ab1378ec78.jpg

I've already started working on the opposite Leg Unit. The armor parts have been spray painted and coated with gloss. I have yet to work on its inner frame and psycho frame. Alright friends, until the next update, V0LTES-V01 signing out!

Dlinker
July 28, 2013, 11:49 PM
Man, those decals are looking better and better with each update you post. I just love how they're raised up out of the surface. Adds a certain kind of realism.

I don't mind you resisting the temptation to show off the psychoframe. I prefer to stay in suspense for this build, haha.

thwalker13
July 29, 2013, 12:09 AM
Same here. I can't wait to see it. But at the same time, I love looking at that thing in Unicorn mode. It's just so pretty to look at.

V0LTES-V01
August 8, 2013, 12:06 PM
Man, those decals are looking better and better with each update you post. I just love how they're raised up out of the surface. Adds a certain kind of realism.

I don't mind you resisting the temptation to show off the psychoframe. I prefer to stay in suspense for this build, haha.
That's very perceptive. I only bought the metal decal for its cool factor LOL. But now that you mentioned it, I see what you mean. They're like the emblems on vehicles.

Same here. I can't wait to see it. But at the same time, I love looking at that thing in Unicorn mode. It's just so pretty to look at.
Me too LOL! Especially now that it's almost finish.
----------
The opposite Leg Unit is finished! The Unicorn project is almost complete!

Since the Unicorn is pretty much bare in terms of colors, I decided to apply a few improvised decals to compensate for it. I used the decals's runner to apply the diagonal decal on its leg. I placed it in between the crevice that hides the psycho frame.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3770/9461165507_d2cac435ef.jpg

Back section..

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7447/9463946380_a387d28e27.jpg

And here it is mounted on..

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3739/9461165885_87745cfbe4.jpg

If you look close enough, you can almost see the psycho frame surprise LOL. Alright, I'm off to the shield and then the weapons. Almost there, so please bear with me a little bit more LOL. :D

thwalker13
August 8, 2013, 12:11 PM
By the gods! The anticipation is killing me. Your work is awesome man. I love those little strips you added to the legs. They fit in with everything.

Dlinker
August 8, 2013, 1:19 PM
Yeah, the extra decals are an excellent touch. Simple and not obtrusive, but it still catches your eye and they don't feel out of place.

Just a lovely Unicorn overall. Another perfect example of simplicity done well that looks amazing.

V0LTES-V01
August 11, 2013, 11:25 AM
By the gods! The anticipation is killing me. Your work is awesome man. I love those little strips you added to the legs. They fit in with everything.
LOL Thanks comrade. The Gundam Gods was kind enough to bestow me a little creativity for this project. Now I must go appease to their good nature and complete it.

Yeah, the extra decals are an excellent touch. Simple and not obtrusive, but it still catches your eye and they don't feel out of place.

Just a lovely Unicorn overall. Another perfect example of simplicity done well that looks amazing.
Thanks bud, I appreciate it. I felt that those empty sections were missing something. Even though the manual did not suggest to put a decal there, I thought hey, creativity does not require a manual. So I decided to fill those empty space but kept it aligned and relative.
----------
The Shield Unit is finally finished. Once again, I decided to make use of the empty space and filled it with some improvised decals.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7427/9484418675_7f930dc6ee.jpg

And here is Unicorn being a show off LOL.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7409/9484420885_31eb8a988c.jpg

Alright friends, I'm off to the Weapons. I will apply some minor details, but I'm still expecting a lot of mistakes since I have not done it before LOL. It might take me a while, but the project is almost complete, so stick around. :cool:

thwalker13
August 11, 2013, 12:22 PM
Oh I'll be sticking around. I want to see what you pull off with the weapons. I love the added stickers you put on the shield. It really adds a level of detail to it. I love it.

jayhat100
August 11, 2013, 4:38 PM
love it can't wait to see it with all the weapons and opened up.

Dlinker
August 11, 2013, 5:47 PM
Those decals combined with the pearl paint job continue to impress. Can't wait to see them weapons.

V0LTES-V01
August 20, 2013, 7:59 PM
Oh I'll be sticking around. I want to see what you pull off with the weapons. I love the added stickers you put on the shield. It really adds a level of detail to it. I love it.

love it can't wait to see it with all the weapons and opened up.

Those decals combined with the pearl paint job continue to impress. Can't wait to see them weapons.
Gracias amigos; always appreciate your awesome comments!

Here you go friends! Beam Magnum! It's my very first attempt to detail a weapon. I didn't use the masking technique. I went with the good ol fashion free flow hand paint route (except for the rifle clips). It was quite a fun learning experience.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5520/9559580818_a318d42eab.jpg

Alright, off to the last remaining weapon: the Bazooka. :D

Zeta
August 20, 2013, 8:02 PM
Oh wow. That Beam Magnum looks awesome. Although I dare care for the color of the E-pacs, eh whatever. Still though, the devil's in the details.

Bossguy
August 20, 2013, 8:31 PM
Your WiP is so beautiful! That purple is gorgeous, and the white really stands out on the dark gray.

Dlinker
August 20, 2013, 9:20 PM
I think the purple works well for the e-caps, much better than gray or a light grey green (like what the Metal Composite Unicorn has) . It matches with the sparkly theme of the kit.

In this case, I think the photoshopping is detracting from the weapon, haha.

Zeta
August 20, 2013, 11:08 PM
Yeah, I guess.

thwalker13
August 20, 2013, 11:44 PM
Wow, that looks amazing man. Everything looks so amazing. I love that purple.

Zeta
August 21, 2013, 12:00 AM
Funny, that purple is actually growing on the more I see. A very nice job Voltes-V01.

V0LTES-V01
August 21, 2013, 12:03 AM
Oh wow. That Beam Magnum looks awesome. Although I dare care for the color of the E-pacs, eh whatever. Still though, the devil's in the details.
Thanks Zeta! I really took my time with the piece to bring out its potential. The color of the clips shifts from purple-dark green-dark blue at different angles.

Your WiP is so beautiful! That purple is gorgeous, and the white really stands out on the dark gray.
Thanks Boss! The purple is a part of a three color shift. It can also change to dark green and dark blue. And the white is actually silver. The lamp and the angle just made it appear white.

I think the purple works well for the e-caps, much better than gray or a light grey green (like what the Metal Composite Unicorn has) . It matches with the sparkly theme of the kit.

In this case, I think the photoshopping is detracting from the weapon, haha.
LOL! It was just a fast tweak on my part. I couldn't level the photo properly, so I was like "whatever, it's only WIP" LOL. I'll make it up on the official showcase.

I couldn't settle for gray for the clips even if it was metallic. It just wouldn't assimilate with the overall theme that I am aiming for; I wanted the color of the clips to stand out. Once I saw the "color shift" spray can at the hardware store, I just had to get it.

V0LTES-V01
August 21, 2013, 12:12 AM
Wow, that looks amazing man. Everything looks so amazing. I love that purple.
Thanks man! The color also changes to dark green and dark blue at different angles.

Funny, that purple is actually growing on the more I see. A very nice job Voltes-V01.
LOL thanks Zeta! Stay tuned for the official showcase!

Wiz33
August 21, 2013, 1:26 AM
Love what you did to break up the monotone of the rifles in most Gundam kits.

thwalker13
August 21, 2013, 7:51 AM
So, you used some kind of iridescent paint? Interesting...

Care to elaborate?

V0LTES-V01
August 21, 2013, 2:27 PM
Love what you did to break up the monotone of the rifles in most Gundam kits.
Thanks Wiz! Yeah I didn't want to follow the single unvaried tone. Hence, the result of the color scheme that I picked. I could have went for a more basic color scheme, but I wanted something more explosive even though it was my first time detailing a weapon.

So, you used some kind of iridescent paint? Interesting...

Care to elaborate?
Yep. This is the magical stuff that I used.

I was just browsing around the hardware store one day making some mental notes on the paints that I want to use for the Unicorn project. Then bam! I saw this spray can with a glimmering cap. I grabbed it and after a brief inspection, I knew what I was going to use for the rifle clip packs.

I never used iridescent paint before, so I made sure to follow the instruction. The only important instruction is on the front label: apply over black base coat. So I just heed the instruction, and fortunately yielded with good result. I'm glad I picked the iridescent paint for the rifle clips; definitely diggin' how it came out.

Dlinker
August 21, 2013, 2:57 PM
Hmmm, that is indeed interesting. I'll note down as something to test out next year. Seems to work out well for you, haha.

Bossguy
August 21, 2013, 3:15 PM
What's the paint you used for the purple? The attachment doesn't work.

V0LTES-V01
August 21, 2013, 8:37 PM
What's the paint you used for the purple? The attachment doesn't work.
For some unknown reason the attached image doesn't have a thumbnail. But I clicked the file and the image appears. If it doesn't work for you then here's an off host image of the spray can.

http://www.rustoleum.com/~/media/DigitalEncyclopedia/Product/RustoleumUSA/CBG/specialty/color-shift/254860_ColorShift_GalaxyBlue_110z_L.ashx

ColorShift by Rustoleum

V0LTES-V01
August 21, 2013, 8:45 PM
Hmmm, that is indeed interesting. I'll note down as something to test out next year. Seems to work out well for you, haha.
Hey if you're going to do another masterpiece like your HG Quanta, this might be the paint to make it happen LOL. It also has a green version but I forgot the transition colors associated with it.

Bossguy
August 21, 2013, 8:48 PM
Thanks! I'll have to keep that information for later.

Dlinker
August 22, 2013, 12:42 AM
I'm thinking of what's the best way to use this kind of paint, haha. It seems to be a good product and I don't want to half-ass its use with a mediocre plan.

Sorry, going off on a slight tangent again.

V0LTES-V01
September 1, 2013, 11:41 AM
Alright friends, it took me a while but here is the last piece!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3765/9642195124_88b3069a64.jpg

The only remaining thing to do is assemble the base and wait for a sunny weather for the photo-shoot.

Kenico
September 1, 2013, 11:49 AM
Very nice work on that Bazooka lol

thwalker13
September 1, 2013, 11:52 AM
Well I hope that the sunny weather comes soon. I really want to see this thing completed and transformed.

Wiz33
September 1, 2013, 2:03 PM
Waiting for the finished kit is going to be tough ;-P

Dlinker
September 1, 2013, 2:24 PM
Yeesh, I didn't think two tone weapons would look good, but that bazooka is incredibly beautiful. It's times like this that I enjoy being proven wrong, haha.

V0LTES-V01
September 1, 2013, 5:36 PM
Very nice work on that Bazooka lol
Thanks Kenico! Man, seriously I thought I was going to go cross-eyed working on the details.

Well I hope that the sunny weather comes soon. I really want to see this thing completed and transformed.
Me too bud! But the weather over here has been gloomy. I think it's getting ready for Fall. Hopefully the sun will come out to play soon.

Waiting for the finished kit is going to be tough ;-P
LOL! It's almost there... really it is LOL.

Yeesh, I didn't think two tone weapons would look good, but that bazooka is incredibly beautiful. It's times like this that I enjoy being proven wrong, haha.
Thanks my dude! Since it was my first time I didn't want to go overboard with the colors. Although I still wanted it to be prominent, so I decided to go with the Chrome Silver. I thought it would be a good contrast with the Carbon Mist. We all make mistakes, so you are forgiven LOL.

V0LTES-V01
September 5, 2013, 2:07 PM
There will be a slight delay on the showcase folks. I decided to apply some details on the base to complement the theme of the project. Since I forced this delay, it's only proper to show you a teaser of Destroy Mode.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2836/9678545269_0484864203.jpg

Wiz33
September 5, 2013, 2:28 PM
Boooooooooooo!!!!! I wanna see it NOW!!! ;-P Don't keep us waiting for too long ;-P

Dlinker
September 5, 2013, 3:08 PM
Nice teaser, though :)

I'm liking the sparkly bits that are showing.

Bossguy
September 5, 2013, 3:42 PM
Sparkle! I love it so far. Very well done on that teaser picture.

thwalker13
September 5, 2013, 4:48 PM
That is pretty bloody cool. I want to see it MEOW!

jayhat100
September 5, 2013, 8:47 PM
Must say I am very much liking that paint can't wait to see this thing.

exia-7
September 5, 2013, 9:30 PM
Looks like Unicorn is about to rise from the abyss

B6Drew
September 5, 2013, 10:08 PM
such a cool teaser, can't wait to see the final product!