PDA

View Full Version : Panel line wash?

thwalker13
April 6, 2013, 2:11 PM
So I have a question. As my painting skill has increased. I've noticed that the usefulness of my lining marker has decreased. Due to the fact that clear coats have a horrible affect on it. So here is my question. What's better to thin my flat black enamel paint with? Enamel thinner, or Zippo Fluid? I plan on using this was my painted kits. Which should be cleared with Future Shine before hand. I've heard that the thinner will react to it. So is it better to use the Zippo Fluid?

Thanks guys.

Dlinker
April 6, 2013, 2:49 PM
Lighter fluid all the way. It evaporates completely so there is never enough to eat away the acrylic clear coat. Even more so if you let the Future sit for a a few days.

I think the only time it ate something on my kits was when I was cleaning up a big blob of enamel paint that splashed on as a weathering experiment. Mind you, that was only one thin layer of Future.

thwalker13
April 6, 2013, 3:04 PM
Ok. here is another question. Can I use the lighter fluid to thin the paint and store it in a container so that I have a batch ready at all times? Or will it evaporate while it sits?

Ultra
April 6, 2013, 7:09 PM
Never would have expected you could thin paint with lighter fluid.

thwalker13
April 6, 2013, 7:32 PM
Yeah, enamel paint can indeed be thinned with lighter fluid. Works pretty well to remove it from unwanted areas. The reverse wash method excels with it. I just need to know if I can store the paint while it's thinned. Cause I really don't want to have to make a new batch every time I go to do some lining.

Dlinker
April 6, 2013, 9:00 PM
Hmmm, I haven't tried it before, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The lighter fluid I put in a separate container hasn't lessened yet despite sitting there for weeks at a time.

You may have to add more fluid every once in a while, though.

thwalker13
April 7, 2013, 12:16 AM
Well, I'll give it a try. I know I can do this with enamel thinner. But I'll give a shot with the lighter fluid. Thanks Dlinker!

ZeonicFront
April 7, 2013, 10:55 AM
Few suggestions to add.

1. Before doing panel line wash, make sure that the paint surface is smooth. Otherwise, it may be difficult to clean the enamel paint off cleanly.
2. Would suggest to not use lighter fluid as a solvent for you enamel paint, because it evaporates fairly quickly. Lighter fluid would be great for cleaning off the excess enamel paint after the panel line wash.
3. An alternative product is the Tamiya Panel Line Accent, it saves the hassle of having to dilute your enamel paint and washing the paint tray after use. It comes diluted and a brush attached to the cap.
4. Avoid using too much thinner on parts which are experiencing stress, eg Snap-on-Joints. It weakens the plastic and may cause the plastic part to crack.

thwalker13
April 7, 2013, 12:41 PM
Now that is something to look into. Thanks ZeonicFront. Do you know what type of paint those are?

ZeonicFront
April 7, 2013, 1:01 PM
It's just pre-thinned version of Tamiya enamel paint so it is more consistent than thinning it yourself. Just make sure you shake will before use, especially if you have not used it for a while.

It is convenient to use, but slightly more expensive than just getting the enamel paint. The brush contains a capillary tube, so it holds more paint than your average paint brush (Similar to the container for Tamiya Extra thin cement).

Wiz33
April 7, 2013, 3:37 PM
And pretty much a pain to find except on ebay shipped from Asia. Does anyone know of a U.S. Source?

thwalker13
April 7, 2013, 4:57 PM
I can't even find the stuff on Amazon. There is a local store near me that has some Tamiya products. I might see if he can get me some next time I stop in there.

jayhat100
April 7, 2013, 7:15 PM
I've looked into the tamiya panel line but to hard to find( but would love to find some, life would be easier). it is interesting about the lighter fluid will have to look into that.