PDA

View Full Version : Panel lining (what method do you use?)

Wiz33
March 20, 2013, 4:57 PM
There are so many ways to do it and there are some paint combination that will not work. I want to hear from you guys as to what you use. I know certain paint type will and will not react with another paint type but I have forgotten the combos that works (acrylic over lacquer? enamel over acrylic?) so if if someone can clear that up. It would be helpful.

Also, there are many ways of panel lining, from using markers, inking to complete wash. There are also varies material to use as top coats and I want to know what you guys do after all the initial paint is done. Do you apply decals before or after the the initial top coat (glossy or matte) and what brand of material do you use? I also want to discuss their ease of use and advantage or disadvantage vs other methods. I have seen some demo video on varies method and I figure that it might be useful to collect them under one thread.

I'm going to start with this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUYFxTXIJ6M

Anyone using or have thoughts on this technique?

WilliamG
March 20, 2013, 5:56 PM
I use a fine tip permanent marker that I modded to have an even finer tip. The marker is a Sakura micron pigma. A good solution for about two dollars!

Brotzmann
March 20, 2013, 6:54 PM
I will airbrush acrylic then do a few layers of future floor polish which is acrylic based. I then use enamel thinned with lighter fluid to do the panel lining wash. I use a 00 brush to flow the paint into the panel lines and after 10 minutes or so I use a q-tip or small cloth with a little lighter fluid to clean up the excess.
I apply my decals after a first top coat then do another coat or 2 after decal application. I also used decal setting solution and got some softer for rough/uneven application areas.

Squee
March 20, 2013, 7:29 PM
Generally i will lay down a lacquer gloss coat. I'll do an enamel panel wash, then apply decals (water slides) then another gloss coat. I'll do another line wash for any decals that go over a panel line, then whatever finish i want.

Dlinker
March 20, 2013, 8:21 PM
I will airbrush acrylic then do a few layers of future floor polish which is acrylic based. I then use enamel thinned with lighter fluid to do the panel lining wash. I use a 00 brush to flow the paint into the panel lines and after 10 minutes or so I use a q-tip or small cloth with a little lighter fluid to clean up the excess.
I apply my decals after a first top coat then do another coat or 2 after decal application. I also used decal setting solution and got some softer for rough/uneven application areas.

Exact same method I use for panel lining and decal work. Even use the same clear coat as well, although I usually give the enamel wash a day to dry before moving on. I'm going to try Alclad's Aqua Gloss Clear soon and see how that works. It's their acrylic clear coat. I may start using that depending on how quickly it cures and the durability.

For your first question, I believe the combination is as follows: Acrylic can go over lacquer and enamel, enamel can go over lacquer, enamel can go over acrylic if using lighter fluid as thinner, lacquer can go over anything in light layers provided the paint underneath has cured already.

I saw that panel lining demo video last year and I think it requires too much effort for the same effect compared to what I'm doing now.

Wiz33
March 21, 2013, 1:53 PM
Thanks everyone for your advise. I have a couple question. Do you guys use Glossy or Matte coat before the wash? Does a Glossy coat help the wash flow any better along the lines?

Edimasta
March 21, 2013, 3:22 PM
I use matt coating from Tamiya and don't have any problems with the wash flow... :)

Dlinker
March 21, 2013, 4:01 PM
I was going to say that a matt coat isn't a good idea before a panel line wash, but I guess it depends on your situation, haha.

I always use a glossy coat before doing lines. From my experience, it helps keep the paint together rather than having a higher chance of dispersing so you won't have to saturate the lines as much.

Squee
March 21, 2013, 11:24 PM
Yea a matte coat really is gambling with staining. I've done it as well but a gloss coat really is key to help the paint flow nice and smoothly. If the paint stains the matte finish, you may have to sand it off lol

Deathscythe!
March 22, 2013, 6:46 AM
So, I can see myself employing this method on an "out of the box-build".

I'm wondering how to do that on painted kits though.
Can anyone help ?

Dlinker
March 22, 2013, 11:03 AM
A panel line wash? You can do that on a painted kit easily. Just buy some gloss clear coat (make sure it's a type that won't eat your paint), spray a few thin layers on, wait for it to dry/cure, then proceed with the wash based on the type of clear coat you used (enamel/acrylic if using a lacquer gloss coat, enamel thinned with lighter fluid if using an acrylic gloss coat, acrylic if using an enamel gloss coat).

Make sure the paint in your wash is thinned a bit more than usual or else it won't flow as easily.

Wiz33
March 22, 2013, 1:40 PM
OK. Thanks. I have to repaint a few parts that was messed up over the weekend and then do a clear coat. May have to pick up more paint (enamel) as if the 30 bottles of Mr. Color I got coming in is not enough ;-P

XeoMatro
April 15, 2013, 1:23 AM
Hello Guys, im currently have painting plans for my kit, well until i can have a place to setup a airbrush station and also money to buy one. I have little doubt about panel wash on plastic color parts.,

1. Do i spray the gloss coat on the hole runner before cutting ?
2. or Do I cut, sand,mount, gloss coat, panel wash ?
3. i will be using enamel wash so i guess need to use acrylic gloss coat and also lighter fluid as the thinner ?
4. for enamel wash + lighter fluid what is the ratio for create the wash ?

Dlinker
April 15, 2013, 11:32 AM
Go with #2 on your list there and never do anything while the parts are still on the runner. Too much hassle if you go with that route.

I posted a reply to your original post with an answer for #3 and #4.

ZeonicFront
April 15, 2013, 11:39 AM
Just to summaries the key points:
1. Strength of thinners, lacquer > enamel > acrylic.
e.g. lacquer thinner can dissolve both enamel and acrylic paints, and enamel thinners can dissolve acrylic paints. So doing a enamel wash on lacquer should be fine.
2. When should we use clear gloss.
e.g. when you are intending to do a enamel wash on acrylic paint and you want to protect the acrylic paint from the enamel thinner
when your paint finishing is not very smooth and may be difficult to clean of the enamel wash neatly.
3. Ratio for thinner to paint is quite subjective, e.g. depending on the width of your panel line. Thicker panel lines requires less dilute paint and finer lines requires a greater degree of dilution.

Hopefully the above points will be helpful.

XeoMatro
April 15, 2013, 1:34 PM
Go with #2 on your list there and never do anything while the parts are still on the runner. Too much hassle if you go with that route.

I posted a reply to your original post with an answer for #3 and #4.

Thanks for the feedback i read the other post, now im not so lost. LoL

Tomorrow will get the gloss coat and lighter fluid for the wash. I guess i can buy something like Zippo for this.

XeoMatro
April 15, 2013, 1:35 PM
Just to summaries the key points:
1. Strength of thinners, lacquer > enamel > acrylic.
e.g. lacquer thinner can dissolve both enamel and acrylic paints, and enamel thinners can dissolve acrylic paints. So doing a enamel wash on lacquer should be fine.
2. When should we use clear gloss.
e.g. when you are intending to do a enamel wash on acrylic paint and you want to protect the acrylic paint from the enamel thinner
when your paint finishing is not very smooth and may be difficult to clean of the enamel wash neatly.
3. Ratio for thinner to paint is quite subjective, e.g. depending on the width of your panel line. Thicker panel lines requires less dilute paint and finer lines requires a greater degree of dilution.

Hopefully the above points will be helpful.

Thanks Zeonic for the feedback also very useful.

Dlinker
April 15, 2013, 1:43 PM
Zippo and Ronsonol are excellent for enamel washes so you're good once you have them. Hopefully you have better luck this time and no more brittle plastic :)

XeoMatro
April 16, 2013, 10:26 AM
Zippo and Ronsonol are excellent for enamel washes so you're good once you have them. Hopefully you have better luck this time and no more brittle plastic :)

Crossing Fingers LoL

thwalker13
April 16, 2013, 12:50 PM
Another way to go is to get ahold of some Tamiya Panel Line Accent Paint. It's pre-thinned, comes in Gray, Black, and Brown, and the bottle even has a small brush built in. I've seen some videos of it and looks like it works pretty good.

Gunplacore
April 17, 2013, 4:54 PM
gunplacore.blogspot.com/2013/04/tutorial-panel-line-wash.html

Here's a small tutorial I did on panel lining, it should show you everything you need to know!

EvLJEsT
June 9, 2013, 4:26 PM
I like doing the panel lines, but what is the best ay to start. I panel line then I add top coat, but should I be doing top coat first then panel lines. Also, i am new to techniques, so what exactly is a panel wash? Thanks all.

Bossguy
June 9, 2013, 5:34 PM
You can search on Google for your questions also, I learned a lot of stuff from there. A lot of people have been asking about top-coating before or after panel lines lately. You don't need to gloss top coat before or after panel lines. It's optional. If you do the panel lines on bare plastic, it should be fine. Here is an excellent tutorial on panel lining: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exT3VwzWpu8