PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning plastic pieces before painting (what to use)

Wiz33
March 20, 2013, 2:09 PM
I just wash them in warm water for my recent build and the primer seems to stick pretty well onto the surface. But I have some 10+ year old kits and I don't know if it will be harder to get all the release agent off the plastic. The old rule was using soap and water but nowadays many soap have other additive (moisturizer, etc) that you might end up leaving some other stuff on the plastic. What are you guys using to clean the plastic before painting

Deathscythe!
March 20, 2013, 2:26 PM
I always use water of cologne to clean my kits.

That's a sort of perfume.

Ume
March 20, 2013, 2:52 PM
I learned to never use any soap because it can leave a residue. Personally I just use water but I have also tried Witch Hazel which is a toned down version of rubbing alcohol that doesnt harm plastic and still dries quickly. You could give that a try.

Dlinker
March 20, 2013, 2:56 PM
Regular dish-washing soap for me. Get a toothbrush, put some of it on there, wet it, then brush away at the parts. After that, rinse them.

No residue so far.

For older kits, maybe leave them in water with dish washing soap for a day before scrubbing with a brush.

Wiz33
March 20, 2013, 4:31 PM
OK, Can't find Water of Cologne in the U.S. so dish washing soap it is. I'll try washing the leftover frame in water first and see if the primer holds, if not, I'll try dish washing soap. Thanks all.

Focke Wulf
April 22, 2013, 3:44 PM
Normal dish soap works great for me.