PDA

View Full Version : Yasuhiro Imagawa needs to be put in charge of another Gundam

Zeta-G
December 7, 2010, 3:49 PM
Seriously. I just powered through G Gundam for the first time in ages, and I really want to see what he could do without Sunrise's/Bandai's interference. For this of you who don't know, Sunrise came up with the Gundam fight concept before finding a director, and G Gundam was supposed to be nothing beyond a dumb kids' show with a bazillion Gundams duking it out in a tournament; Imagawa added the Devil [Dark] Gundam storyline (the real heart of the show), the romance (the greatest in all of Gundam), and everything else that made G Gundam great. He was also part of the staff for Zeta Gundam and Aura Battler Dunbine. I'd like to see him set loose to create a Gundam series.

I'm not saying that we need a G Gundam 2; G Gundam's story (that of the Devil Gundam) is over, and an ordinary Gundam fight show would be pretty pointless. A new show by Imagawa could be a completely new AU or an entry in an existing universe (such as UC, which is what Imagawa initially thought he would be involved with). I just think it be cool to see another Gundam series from him.

FWIW, he mentions in the interviews included with the US DVDs that if he were ever given the chance to do another Gundam series, it would include ninja Gundams. Whether or not he was being serious is hard to tell, since he seems to be fond of kidding around.

What do the rest of you think? I'm especially interested in hearing from those of you who have seen (all of) G Gundam.

Side Note: Tomino should be allowed to direct more Gundam as well.

SilverFrameAstray
December 7, 2010, 7:16 PM
I get extremely skeptical whenever I hear the word ninja, being a Koga Ryu instructor and all, but I am actually accepting of this.

They've covered bushi gundam all over the place (i.e. Astray/Marusao/Susanowo/),but it'd be nice to see an actual shinobi gundam. Maybe even pay homage to Sasuke Sarutobi (infamours Koga Ryu Shinobi, read some history).

However I don't think that would apply seeing as to they never really made small cameo's of Date Masamune/Musashi Miyamoto/Kojiro Sasaki in any of the samurai-esque suits.

I'd like to see this happen though. Maybe actually play out history from the world's greatest warriors but as an actual storyline. Or just redo an entire passage of history, but tell it in a futuristic gundam fashion. I dunno, but I agree that Imagawa needs to be back on some design boards.

Zeta-G
December 7, 2010, 7:24 PM
I get extremely skeptical whenever I hear the word ninja, being a Koga Ryu instructor and all, but I am actually accepting of this.

They've covered bushi gundam all over the place (i.e. Astray/Marusao/Susanowo/),but it'd be nice to see an actual shinobi gundam. Maybe even pay homage to Sasuke Sarutobi (infamours Koga Ryu Shinobi, read some history).

However I don't think that would apply seeing as to they never really made small cameo's of Date Masamune/Musashi Miyamoto/Kojiro Sasaki in any of the samurai-esque suits.

I'd like to see this happen though. Maybe actually play out history from the world's greatest warriors but as an actual storyline. Or just redo an entire passage of history, but tell it in a futuristic gundam fashion. I dunno, but I agree that Imagawa needs to be back on some design boards.
He was talking about ninjas in relation to people saying WTF about Swartz Brüder's fighting style; I didn't get the impression that he was talking about actual historical ninjas. I think he basically wanted to make a series with Gundams similar to Spiegel [Shadow] Gundam as the focus.

SilverFrameAstray
December 7, 2010, 8:29 PM
Well yeah. I was just thinking of things I'd like to see. They're like GNZ's wanting to see Wing remade. It won't happen, but you can wish it would haha.

N7R
December 7, 2010, 9:55 PM
I've seen G Gundam and own even a couple of the 4.5" G Gundam action figures. With that said I think it's a great series but not my favorite. I like the Gundam series that are part of a story of war or facing all the odds like how MS08th was and Gundam Wing where the Gundams are used to fight for something rather than just a tournament.

If the same guy who made G Gundam was going to make a new series I'd be all for it, just not something like G Gundam where the Gundams are portrayed almost as toys rather than majestic wonders. GX-9900 Gundam X and XXXD-0W00 Wing Gundam Zero are great examples of gundams that are majestic and have meaning. When I hear 'Ninja Gundam' It turns me off totally from any series I would be interested in seeing made.

SilverFrameAstray
December 7, 2010, 10:04 PM
So N7R are you saying you were turned away when some one said "samurai gundam" like Astray, or "Pirate Gundam" like crossbone?

N7R
December 7, 2010, 10:24 PM
So N7R are you saying you were turned away when some one said "samurai gundam" like Astray, or "Pirate Gundam" like crossbone?

I'm a little confused by what you are asking. If you are asking do I like or dislike Gundams that are geared towards a more human theme like a 'Pirate' or 'Samurai' I really don't care much for that kind of stuff. I think when the theme makes the gundam look more like an actual person or something it just becomes too silly for me. Sure a series like Wing had like 'themed' Gundams but it was done in a way they still looked like functional Gundams and it didn't go overboard too much. Then we have a series like Gundam Seed and I really liked the designs of those Gundams, they looked like they were build for war and had a very awesome futuristic style to them.

GNzaku0023
December 7, 2010, 10:31 PM
It's no secret I hate G-Gundam (and many of the designs), however, the Dark/Devil Gundam Arc was a slightly redeeming factor to G-Gundam for me. I honestly like the darker aspects of the Gundam Universe. I would support Yasuhiro Imagawa being behind another Gundam series (Maybe that Marida Story I mentioned in an earlier thread??)

Zeta-G
December 7, 2010, 10:40 PM
I've seen G Gundam and own even a couple of the 4.5" G Gundam action figures. With that said I think it's a great series but not my favorite. I like the Gundam series that are part of a story of war or facing all the odds like how MS08th was and Gundam Wing where the Gundams are used to fight for something rather than just a tournament.

If the same guy who made G Gundam was going to make a new series I'd be all for it, just not something like G Gundam where the Gundams are portrayed almost as toys rather than majestic wonders. GX-9900 Gundam X and XXXD-0W00 Wing Gundam Zero are great examples of gundams that are majestic and have meaning. When I hear 'Ninja Gundam' It turns me off totally from any series I would be interested in seeing made.
As stated previously, Sunrise was responsible for the ridiculous idea of the Gundam Fight; Imagawa just made the best out of their bad idea. He also said in the Vol. 12 DVD interview that he wouldn't have any interest in doing a sequel to G.
I agree with your preference for a war based series (although I don't want another Wing style "war" series; give me a UC or CE-sans-Kira style war story); the point of this thread was basically to see if anyone else would like to see Imagawa make a war based, real robot (as opposed to super robot) Gundam show.

Zeta-G
December 7, 2010, 10:45 PM
It's no secret I hate G-Gundam (and many of the designs), however, the Dark/Devil Gundam Arc was a slightly redeeming factor to G-Gundam for me. I honestly like the darker aspects of the Gundam Universe. I would support Yasuhiro Imagawa being behind another Gundam series (Maybe that Marida Story I mentioned in an earlier thread??)
Wait, you actually watched all 49 episodes and still hated it? I could understand hating the earlier match of the week type episodes, but disliking G Gundam as a whole (poor mecha designs aside) is just odd. :shock:

GNzaku0023
December 7, 2010, 11:12 PM
Lol, yes, I did watch every episode and hated the pretty much the whole thing with a few exceptions.
I know Sunrise is to blame for everything that was ridiculous about it, but I still hated it, more so than any Gundam series. It was basically a soap opera with giant robots to me.

But trying to stay on topic, I would love to see Yasuhiro Imagawa back a war story Gundam series.

It's kinda like what I'd love to see happen (but never will) with clone wars. Make it a show about the grunts, not the whole "I have a Gundam and it's better than everything you can throw at me!" deal. While I still love this, I want to see more focus on the grunts happen. 8th MS Team did a pretty good job depicting this, but I'd like to see it go into more depth. Follow a unit "Band of Brothers" style with Gundam and Yasuhiro Imagawa at the lead.