PDA

View Full Version : Flaws

SilverFrameAstray
November 29, 2010, 2:44 PM
We all know they have them, but I'd like to see discussion of these for once.

Out of the kits that you own, what flaws do they end up having? Who knows, this might help in one's purchase of a kit.

I'll start with NG 1/100 Astraea.
It could have been a abad mold, but the shoulder fins never fit in properly and I had to glue them in.
The leg joint consantly fell apart and kept disconnecting, leaving the PC on the pelvis. I glued that together as well.

NG 1/100 Red Frame Astray
Tons of bad joints and pegs. Both arms have broken at the top of the bicep, leaving the peg still in the hole, but flat on both sides. Both of those are glued, and so far has been the only pieces I've ever glued together that actually limit articulation.

The V-fin was always extremely loose, but that may be a bad mold as well.

HG 1/144 Guntank.
It pains me to ever say anything bad about guntank, but the 4 pegs in the front and the back are held in extremely loosely. They actually fit in, but can come out with ease. I have not glued them back in, but i probably should.

I don't actually own a Wing kit yet (my 1/100 epyon ships tomorrow!), but ZP and GNZ have wing kits and both of them have the same problem; extremely hollow and weak legs. They tend to be extremely top heavy and the legs can barely keep them balanced. I fear epyon is going to be the same way, but anyone else who has a wing kit, can you verify?

I don't have any problems [yet] with any of my current kits.

Zeta-G
November 29, 2010, 2:46 PM
We all know they have them, but I'd like to see discussion of these for once.

Out of the kits that you own, what flaws do they end up having? Who knows, this might help in one's purchase of a kit.

I'll start with NG 1/100 Astraea.
It could have been a abad mold, but the shoulder fins never fit in properly and I had to glue them in.
The leg joint consantly fell apart and kept disconnecting, leaving the PC on the pelvis. I glued that together as well.

NG 1/100 Red Frame Astray
Tons of bad joints and pegs. Both arms have broken at the top of the bicep, leaving the peg still in the hole, but flat on both sides. Both of those are glued, and so far has been the only pieces I've ever glued together that actually limit articulation.

The V-fin was always extremely loose, but that may be a bad mold as well.

HG 1/144 Guntank.
It pains me to ever say anything bad about guntank, but the 4 pegs in the front and the back are held in extremely loosely. They actually fit in, but can come out with ease. I have not glued them back in, but i probably should.

I don't actually own a Wing kit yet (my 1/100 epyon ships tomorrow!), but ZP and GNZ have wing kits and both of them have the same problem; extremely hollow and weak legs. They tend to be extremely top heavy and the legs can barely keep them balanced. I fear epyon is going to be the same way, but anyone else who has a wing kit, can you verify?

I don't have any problems [yet] with any of my current kits.
The non-grade 1/144 and HG 1/100 Wing kits are the very definition of flawed kits. Hollow, weak joints, poor balance, etc.

SilverFrameAstray
November 29, 2010, 2:53 PM
The joints on Deathscythe Hell hold up really well. It's just so damn top heavy. All of the kits with atmospheric entry modes would need nothing but solid legs, and they'd be fine. Astray/Astraea/00 have extremely solid and heavy legs, and 00 is the only one throwing anything around above it's chest.

Kits that have solid legs that don't necessarily need them vs kits who desperately need solid legs and have the opposite.

I still want that epyon though, along with a regular sandrock. No one should ever get Shenlong/Altron/Nataku unless you were planning on having them be destroyed. (no offense fans of Shenlong/Altron/Nataku)

Zeta-G
November 29, 2010, 2:58 PM
The joints on Deathscythe Hell hold up really well. It's just so damn top heavy. All of the kits with atmospheric entry modes would need nothing but solid legs, and they'd be fine. Astray/Astraea/00 have extremely solid and heavy legs, and 00 is the only one throwing anything around above it's chest.

Kits that have solid legs that don't necessarily need them vs kits who desperately need solid legs and have the opposite.

I still want that epyon though, along with a regular sandrock. No one should ever get Shenlong/Altron/Nataku unless you were planning on having them be destroyed. (no offense fans of Shenlong/Altron/Nataku)
The Epyon kits weren't too bad given the time period in which they came out.

GNzaku0023
November 29, 2010, 3:07 PM
The problem that you will always find with older, transformable kits are that they suffer from "floppy parts syndrome" A friend of mine has tons of old HG Wing Kits but there is always something loose on them. I have no doubt in my mind the Epyon is going to be the same way, however it is a massive improvement over the crappy 1/144 ng that came out before it.

As for my problems with kits, here we go:

My HG 1/100 Wing Zero Custom has plenty. The Wings and the backpack they're connected to constantly falls off, he can't hold his buster rifle(s), and had a loose shoulder pad that I had to glue in place so it wouldn't fall. Trying to pose him is a nightmare, as the articulation it very limited.

My HG 1/144 Akatsuki has some problems. The red chest piece falls out on a regular basis, the side fins on the head fall out whenever you try to move it, and he has some weight issues, but that's what a stand is for.

My HG 1/144 Stargazer's shoulders are loose and can't hold themselves up, but that's about it for it.

My MG 1/100 Gundam MKII Version 1 can't hold it's beam rifle, bazooka, and on occasion can't hold beam sabers.

My HG 1/144 Serpent custom suffers from all of the old kit's issues (as it is one) loose joints, bad articulation, ect

My 1/100 NG Exia has these little parts for the GN Swords to connect to it's hips, but they can't support the weight and don't even connect properly (before you say anything, it's not user error)

That's about all of em

Skittles
November 29, 2010, 6:11 PM
About the only real 'issue' that I've noticed is having to hold 1/100 Aegis's legs to the body when posing. And that's less of a flaw than the design for transformation likes to let things move around... to the degree of ending up holding a leg now and then.

For fixing floppy joints - coat of clear nail polish. Let dry, if that's not enough, do another coat.

GNzaku0023
November 29, 2010, 11:55 PM
Really? That works without limiting the pose-ability?

SilverFrameAstray
November 30, 2010, 12:06 AM

Well yes, it's quite genius actually. It fills in the space that the joint is making up for, making it fit better. We do the same thing with cars. Only not with nail polish and with synthetic material.

Skittles
November 30, 2010, 12:08 AM

Yep! Just do a quick coat on each part (or if it's going into a polycap, just on the plastic), let it dry, and test fit. If it's still loose, repeat. Basically, you're just adding a layer to the plastic and since clear nail polish is meant as a 'top coat', it's pretty durable.

I was skeptical until I had a couple of stands for other figures that wouldn't stay together that, uh, I really needed to stay together. There was just a bit too much space where they pegged and yeah, a few coats later, they're perfect. :D

(You'll see this 'fix' a lot for action figures, especially Transformers. I've heard white glue will do nearly as well, but it might not hold up as long to a lot of posing.)

Asterisk
November 30, 2010, 7:34 AM
A third option is to put a dab of krazy glue on a peg, put it in, move it around a bit, then take it out and let it dry. You end up with really tight connections, that way.

SilverFrameAstray
December 4, 2010, 1:32 PM
Seeing as to how I just made it, this is going in:

1/100 HG Epyon

I won't go for the obvious problems that all the wing kits have at the momen, like the loose hands or weak legs, but Epyon ended up having a bit of problems that Wing Zero and Deathscythe Hell didn't.

His legs and the cuffs of his arms look hollow. you can see right down into them and practically see the polycap and almost right into the hollow of the part.

The arms are scrawny and look tiny compared to his massive chest.

It doesn't bother me as much, but this kit is extremely out of proportion. The torso is wide, the wings are a bit short and extremely thin, and his arms are like toothpicks. However, it isn't like I don't mind it, just after seeing epyon in action and seeing the original artist's rendition, Epyon should look quite different.

That's about it actually, but it seems so far that those are flaws only to Epyon. DSH and WZC both have closed off legs, and look the size they should be.

I still love this kit however.

NanoSpore
December 5, 2010, 6:41 PM
I love my MG 1/100 Unicorn ver Ka, and it's quite solid in Unicorn mode. However, there are a few complaints that I found when transformed into destroy mode.

First, the knee. There is a fine line as to how much movement is too much and it easily falls off. The biggest issue I have with that is it's required to take it past that point to transform.

The right elbow joint is a little loose (though it could be something I did while modeling) and causes minor issues when trying to pose it holding a weapon.

Lastly, the socket for the waist doesn't take into account the extra height while in destroy mode and feels like it will come off when you're posing the kit.

squeam
December 12, 2010, 1:18 PM
Does anyone else not like the MG Wing Gundam style hands? I've read and watched people who love them and herald them as the new standard of Gunpla manipulators; but I think they kinda suck. First off, the thumb looks way awkward when going for a fist or dramatic open palm. Secondly, it took forever to get the buster rifle hand tabbed in, and the ability to hold the shield isn't great. They're already using extra plastic to make the sets of fingers, why not just make extra hands? That's what I'd rather see: one set of 3&1+thumb, and a set (or 2 or 3) of outstreched/closed fist/kung fu, etc. Look at the G-Gundam MGs, they have awesome hands.

Zeta-G
December 12, 2010, 2:19 PM
Does anyone else not like the MG Wing Gundam style hands? I've read and watched people who love them and herald them as the new standard of Gunpla manipulators; but I think they kinda suck. First off, the thumb looks way awkward when going for a fist or dramatic open palm. Secondly, it took forever to get the buster rifle hand tabbed in, and the ability to hold the shield isn't great. They're already using extra plastic to make the sets of fingers, why not just make extra hands? That's what I'd rather see: one set of 3&1+thumb, and a set (or 2 or 3) of outstreched/closed fist/kung fu, etc. Look at the G-Gundam MGs, they have awesome hands.
I second this. The wing styl bands are okay, but I prefer the 3 + 1 style.