PDA

View Full Version : Prefixes in Gundam series?

katamuro
March 1, 2013, 12:28 PM
Anyone has any idea what those prefixes stand for? Like RX-78 or RGM? Zeon models are pretty easy since MS stands for Mobile suit and MSM stands for Marine Mobile Suit. It just seems that after the original series they went mad with the prefixes just slapping them on anywhere. Or am I missing something?

Deathscythe!
March 1, 2013, 12:31 PM
Coming to think about it, you've got a point here.
What might XXXG stand for ?

katamuro
March 1, 2013, 12:39 PM
I know CE series have a clear prefix convention. As to XXXG since all those units are single custom units that just might point to that. I have no Idea.

Shin Starlord
March 1, 2013, 12:51 PM
This might be a long shot, but the R in RX might stand for Real and I'm unsure about the X.

Perhaps they just put together some alphanumeric letters for the titular machine.

X on the other hand might mean x as in variable x. Real Variable 78-2. You can only speculate.

ronpage29
March 2, 2013, 11:12 AM
I know this may sound stupid but the R could simply mean Robot. Military aircraft are abbreviated simply... A= Attack F = fighter C Cargo only Reconnaissance aircraft are weird U2, SR71 etc... Now the X normally dictates an experimental aircraft. The F 22 and F 35 as well as every single aircraft in our arsenal have been designated with an X during the beginning stages of the model. So it in theory should be the Robot experimental 78-2. This is just my two cents. Not sure if it works for all Gundam.

ronpage29
March 2, 2013, 11:23 AM
This one is a long shot but RGM could stand for Robot General Mass/Mobile. I know that one may seem strange but as far as realism with the show it is probably very simple! XXXG is much more difficult but call me stupid but it could just mean that it is a top secret gundam model! Again two cents.

katamuro
March 2, 2013, 9:58 PM
Well you could be right. It just a bit strange that when everybody is referring to them as mobile suits they decided to call them robots. i dont know what RGM stands for but if RX-78 is gundam, then GM would make sense to be Gundam Mass produced.

ronpage29
March 3, 2013, 12:18 AM
You do have a point!