PDA

View Full Version : A few painting questions

ThatGuy
February 28, 2013, 3:57 PM
Hello,

so a few weeks ago I got my first two kits in the mail. I ended up getting one MG (Lukas's Strike Strike E + IWSP), and one RG (Freedom) that I could use to practice on before I built the MG. I finished the RG in about a week and a half. At first I thought that I would hand paint the whole thing, but after starting in on it, I realized it would take me forever to complete using that method, so I ended up just doing panel lines, decals, and topcoat on most of the model, and hand painting a few parts.

1) Is there any point to painting over the white pieces (with white)? It seems like a lot of effort with very little difference in the final result. Many of the pieces on the freedom gundam are white, and I noticed that after applying top-coat to an unpainted white piece, it looked pretty much the way I wanted it to.

2) How much do you usually build the model before painting it? The parts I did paint, I did individually, which seemed like a pain.

3) Which form of painting would you recommend? I don't have access to a air-brush, so my two options are spraypaint and hand painting- and I am definitely a novice at model painting.

Oh and here is a picture of the freedom gundam I built....

Ultra
February 28, 2013, 5:14 PM
1) Painting will provide a noticable difference but yes simply top coating can have a nice effect. If done on a RG then it can look quite even without paint.

2) It's easier if you paint it before you make. With Hand Painting there's no reason you can't assemble and then paint it but with spray paint and airbrushing that's not an option unless you make different parts with tape which is an unnecessary considering that it's easier to just paint the parts individually.

3) Spray paint is much better. Hand brushing to a good level requires a lot more skill and patience. Look up a video on techniques though because you need to make sure you don't spray on too thick a layer since it will create bubbles and other undesired effect. Airbrush trumps them both though.

Dlinker
February 28, 2013, 5:33 PM
1.) It's really all up to you. Some are fine with leaving those parts as is and just putting a top coat on them while going all out on other parts. Others prefer to paint the entire thing. Either way works, although it is probably best to paint a part if it has something funky like plastic swirls. Can't really hide those with top coat.

2.) I usually build the entire kit first, take some pics for reference, stare at it some more, pose it around, then take it apart for painting. By then (which is about a day or two), I have a good idea on what I need to paint. The only things I've painted that were built together were inner frames and joints. It is a pain to do them individually, but it becomes less of a headache later on since you have more control over what gets worked on.

3.) I recommend airbrushing for the speed and advanced effects you can do with it, but I'm a fan of hand painting as well due to the flexibility of being able to paint anywhere anytime. Spray paints are good in the short run, but it can get really expensive. If you can handle the cost, then go with spray painting. If not, hand painting may be your best option.

Jfl0
February 28, 2013, 8:13 PM
Horse crap. That's too nice to be a novice :p

1) For texture purposes, yes. I scratch my parts up pretty good with 220 before I get to business finishing with 600, sometimes 1000.

2) All parts are painted before assembly (what I do). You should be top coating them before assembly too, but I'm lazy.

3) air brushing. See air brush central.

Deathscythe!
March 1, 2013, 8:51 AM
1. I'm kind of a novice as well. I once tried out painting white parts white by using hand-brushes. I fathomed, white combined with hand brush can be frustrating and disappointing if you are unexperienced. There's the opposite effect with black.
I prefer painting white parts either grey, sliver or black, unless I'm bound to paint it white.

2. Always paint the parts beforehand.

3. Painting by hand sometimes turns out really well. However, spraying I recommend if you have hardly done anything with brushes before. You could also acquire some airbrushing devices. But that'd cost.