PDA

View Full Version : Addicted

ronpage29
February 25, 2013, 11:37 AM
I have just finished watching the mobile suit gundam movie trilogy. It was so amazing! By far the best final battle I have seen yet! Now I know why people hold this series in such high regard. I have watched gundam 00 and wing. I loved them until 0079. I am now on a mission to watch the series in its entirety then move forward with the story! By the way I am obviously late to the gundam universe, I'm 30. However I did have the privilege to watch gundam I Japan when I was 13. Had no idea what was going on but I loved it. Anyways stupid first post rant. Thanks for reading.

Deathscythe!
February 25, 2013, 11:55 AM
Well, welcome to the forums.

Your age is on average y'know. I've seen Gundam Fans older than you are.

You said you had viewed Gundam in Japan at the age of 13. Does that imply, you're Japanese?

ronpage29
February 25, 2013, 12:08 PM
Oh no! Lol! I guess it would be helpful to explain that. I am a military brat and my father was stationed in Okinawa Japan. I used to watch Gundam and Dragon ball all the time on Japanese television (rather Okinawan television). I also built my fist Gundam model at that time to. Toys R Us in Japan has a whole section full of Gundam models.

ronpage29
February 25, 2013, 12:10 PM
Actually I have a question... What is a good site to buy legitimate subbed versions of Turn A, Victory, and ZZ? I can't seem to find any. I want to still buy the legit o es. Watching online diminishes the feeling good for me.

ronpage29
February 25, 2013, 12:14 PM
I love the Shin Chan pic by the way!

Deathscythe!
February 25, 2013, 12:21 PM
That's a difficult wish to fulfil. Fans regularly download series. There are just a few who purchase copies of the non-dubbed series.
Well, I'll go enquiring about that myself and I'll notify you about the results later on.

Thanks! I watched Shin Chan when I was 5 ... or 6 perhaps. That's been taking effects on me since then xDDD

katamuro
February 25, 2013, 12:58 PM
i would recommend downloading. But many older series are almost not possible to find. Seed, 00 can be found easily but anything older is almost non-existent on DVD outside of japan. It is possible to find Wing but its quite expensive.

Deathscythe!
February 25, 2013, 1:07 PM
i would recommend downloading. But many older series are almost not possible to find. Seed, 00 can be found easily but anything older is almost non-existent on DVD outside of japan. It is possible to find Wing but its quite expensive.

He's got a good point

Shin Starlord
February 25, 2013, 1:21 PM
Welcome! I somewhat envy you. We have Toys R Us here in South Africa, but the closest things they had to model building where beyblades or b-damons.

You made a good choice in choosing this forum, everyone here are helpful and will help you on your life quest to enjoy this series.
Come to think of it, before I joined up, I searched the web for a good mecha forum in general before registering here. Must be a twist of luck.

Also, Dragon Ball! Mmmm! I grew up on that, and Yu-Gi-Oh. Everyone likes Dragon Ball, naturally, but Yu-Gi-Oh's been deminished in the past say something 5 years. Whatever, the memories of the original series are still there.

Be sure to check out the "Mobile Suit Gundam Chronology" thread. That's a nice new addition to our forum with a grand watching order.
Enjoy your time here.

ronpage29
February 25, 2013, 4:12 PM
Thank you all for the advice! Well I guess my new question is can't I get in trouble for downloading the videos? I would like really good copies of them. Just not sure about that. I understand torrents and all that just unsure about this with a moment and Bandai closing it's doors. In America at least.

Kenico
February 25, 2013, 4:13 PM
Oh no! Lol! I guess it would be helpful to explain that. I am a military brat and my father was stationed in Okinawa Japan. I used to watch Gundam and Dragon ball all the time on Japanese television (rather Okinawan television). I also built my fist Gundam model at that time to. Toys R Us in Japan has a whole section full of Gundam models.

HOLD ON! You were stationed in Okinawa in the 70s (btw what unit was your dad in...i happen to be an "Army Brat" Myself but i was born AFTER my dad left the service :p) and you saw Mobile Suit Gundam?! So Correct me if im wrong, but that you mean you were one of the Few Americans to see Gundam for the First time BEFORE WING AIRED ON TOONAMI (As in Before Gundam was introed into the States...or better yet the West in General)...O_O...If thats the case then I have to say you are one of the luckiest Gundamaniacs i have ever met! :D

Anyway, As for the series, Heres some help for ya...you can do this one of two ways...

A. You purchase the complete series on DVD/Blu Ray at Reputable Vendors like Right Stuff or other wise.

B. You veiw it on Online Sites, Like you can find The Entire Series on Bandais Channel on Youtube...or other wise :p.

Hope this helps...

Also, Welcome to the Forums...

ronpage29
February 25, 2013, 4:15 PM
@Deathscythe it's funny about shin Chan cause it is very much an adult themed show but when I was stationed in Korea(yes here to) it it severely edited and marketed towards children. @Shin Starlord yeah I wish I had bought more models when I was younger and in Japan! Import prices sucks. I'm sure it's worse where you are though.

ronpage29
February 25, 2013, 4:20 PM
@Kenico it was mobile suit gundam but it was in 93 when I saw it! I still didn't grasp what was going on but yeah! Gundam to me was what animal should be. Don't get me wrong a lot of animals is fantastic but it just just has soul for me. If that makes sense. Oh and I never fully watched every episode of the series while I was in Japan. To be honest I am just now getting back into it. I wish I had not waited so long for a series that captured such a big part of me when I was a child.

ronpage29
February 25, 2013, 4:23 PM
Actually I take that back I watched it in 95-96. Poor math on my part! Lol

ronpage29
February 25, 2013, 4:25 PM
Ok can I ask what is it about seed that is so bad? I have not watched it yet but I purchased both seed and destiny and I feel I should have not spent the money on it if it is so horrible.

ronpage29
February 25, 2013, 4:30 PM
Damn auto correct! I didn't mean animal in my post to Kenico! I meant anime!

Shin Starlord
February 25, 2013, 4:34 PM
SEED and Destiny aren't bad at all.

Let me see. SEED has a wonderful storyline, and it stays true to science fiction anime.
It's aimed at teenagers in the modern day. Some of us here where teenagers during the time it was created, but we find it annoying that Gundam would stoop to that level. For example, the protagonist Kira Yamato is having sex with one of his love interests, and he's only 16. This is just one thing.

Again with Kira, he's earned the Nickname "Jesus Yamato" amongst Gundam fans. He basically has a nerve to survive lethal encounters.
There where plenty of times in both SEED and Destiny where he where supposed to die. Nuclear explosion or otherwise.

People also hate the copying of the 0079 elements. You'll notice a lot of machines in SEED share similarities with the Zaku and other Zeon designed mobile suits.

Other than this, SEED is one my favourites. I actually spoiled this a few years back when Super Robot Wars J was fan translated into English and SEED was one of the main stories going on there. I don't regret it though. I love SEED.

I believe Mobile Fighter G Gundam suffered this same kind of hatred, almost. It's what you should make of it. Go watch the first episode of SEED, and you'll be amazed by it's amazing direction and emotion, and Murrue's bodily features.

Kenico
February 25, 2013, 4:37 PM
LOL relax it happens :p As for SEED heres the thing...There are about 3-4 Interpretations of the Cosmic Era. SEED and Destiny are two of them, the other two are OVAS. SEED (plus its HD Remaster) are pretty decent and do a good job of telling its story...Destiny on the other hand thats where most of the hate is at, particularly with diehard Gundam fans and especially storytellers and animation fans like myself. all it is SEED all over again with SOME Characters that had REALLY good potential to be as good as the previouls Cast but after a certain episode the originals swoop in and take over leaving the rest as dust in the wind. and the Recycled Animation...WHOOO! and yes its that bad...If you want more info, theres plenty of Threads on this forum for you to piece it together and i wish you luck in that department...

Edimasta
February 25, 2013, 4:40 PM
To old ?? I am going to be 30 this year in September and love Gundam... :D

Rowdain
February 25, 2013, 11:08 PM
Actually I have a question... What is a good site to buy legitimate subbed versions of Turn A, Victory, and ZZ? I can't seem to find any. I want to still buy the legit o es. Watching online diminishes the feeling good for me.

You can but they are wildly expensive (80-150$ per set) and on top of that most of them are bootleg... So I'm sorry to tell you there's no chance of that, but I'm sure you can find someone willing to download them from a source and burn them on to a CD if you'd like to watch them on your DVD player. But I think that's the only viable option if you want to watch it on your DVD sadly.

The main reason being anime wasn't popular in America for a long time hell we didn't even get shonen jump in America till like 2001 or 02 ( I don't recall ) so until Bandai releases a sub or dubs the series you listed we won't get an official release. So my suggestion is save your money sadly...

Hadosan
February 26, 2013, 2:51 AM
well it depends on were you live I bought MSG, Zeta, War in the pocket, Stardust Memories, 08th ms team, CCA, and F91 at my local FYE and I live in Utah which barely has anime fans as conventions go but it is true that ZZ, Turn A, and Victory cant be bought as they have never been released in the west officially

katamuro
February 26, 2013, 5:52 AM
well it depends on were you live I bought MSG, Zeta, War in the pocket, Stardust Memories, 08th ms team, CCA, and F91 at my local FYE and I live in Utah which barely has anime fans as conventions go but it is true that ZZ, Turn A, and Victory cant be bought as they have never been released in the west officially

Man you are lucky where I live even through amazon all I can find is 00 and SEED. Wing is import from america for $150.

ronpage29
February 26, 2013, 7:17 AM
Well actually what I am looking for are import subbed versions of victory, zz, and turn A. After watching the 0079 trilogy movies with subs I learned to like that as much as the dubs. So does anyone know of a legitimate import seller that would have those series? Or pretty much just download or watch online?

Deathscythe!
February 26, 2013, 7:51 AM
If you need sources where to download them from, PM me.

Shin Starlord
February 26, 2013, 9:40 AM
Well actually what I am looking for are import subbed versions of victory, zz, and turn A. After watching the 0079 trilogy movies with subs I learned to like that as much as the dubs. So does anyone know of a legitimate import seller that would have those series? Or pretty much just download or watch online?

From what I've heard, Bandai does sell Turn A. Or did. They dropped this in 2010, or so I hear.

katamuro
February 27, 2013, 8:49 AM
It really depends on what country. Here in UK it is extremely hard to find anything that is not currently not licensed by a company. After one company disintegrated a lot of the stuff previously published by it is simply not sold at all.