PDA

View Full Version : HG 1/144 GN-X Review

GNzaku0023
November 19, 2010, 8:05 PM
So this is my first typed review for a kit, but here goes:
1/144 HG GN-X
[attachment=2:3s7xtzo3]3772401623_18f4b8082d_o.jpg[/attachment:3s7xtzo3]

Well, here it is: The GN-X, The "bad guy" Mass Production Mobile Suit from the first Season of 00 Gundam.
I bought this kit out of pure impulse, and I don't regret it.

Opening the box, you find the manual and runners (As you should with every kit lol). When I removed them from the plastic wrap, I was surprised to find that there were only 3 runners (not counting the two polycap sheets) This had me concerned as most kits usually have 4 or more, but regardless, I began the build.

To my surprise, it took only around 2 and 1/2 hours to fully complete the kit. Most of the time I'll spend around 5-6 hours. During the build, I was impressed at the Complex Simplicity of it. I know that sounds odd, so let me explain; there were parts that were complex in movement, while simple to build. The whole time I could see little intricacies that would normally be found in MG kits, such as the pieces on the chest moving with the arms. These pleasant surprises were found all throughout the build, and as such kept me in a good mood the whole time.

Now, this kit does have stickers, as all do, but these are not cheesy stickers. They were actually really well done. Metallic purple for the GN Condensers, same for the eyes, and had little dark gray stickers for small details. These dark gray ones I was a little worried about, as I thought they would stand out, but again, to my surprise, they blend in perfectly, and don't even look like stickers.

So here's the completed kit:
[attachment=1:3s7xtzo3]gnx1.jpg[/attachment:3s7xtzo3]

Keep in mind the 02 marking seals shown here did not come with the kit. I got those with my 1/144 HG Gouf Ignited.

Panel lining for the kit was minimal, and the places you should panel line had nice grooves that allowed for the ink to settle without too much clean up.

Articulation!
Starting with the head, this is the most disappointing part of the kit. Because of the massive collar, it's difficult to get the head to turn at all. He can look up and down, tilt side to side (slightly) and that's about it. Moving onto the chest, it can rotate a full 360*, and the little top fins can move slightly. The shoulders and arms can move forwards and backwards, rotate 360*, rotate 360* at the bicep, bend 90* at the elbow, and wiggle at the hands.
The two massive fins underneath the chest can rotate a bit, but nothing spectacular.
The legs can move up a bit, but sadly cannot do the sparta kick, and they can move backwards at about the same angle. The knee bends a little more than 90*, The foot can bend up at 45*, and back at about 35*. There is a little foot guard that moves as well, however, it's always falling off whenever I move it, which makes me very frustrated sometimes. :x Over all though it has very good articulation and solid joints. I can't see any of them becoming loose for a very long time.

Now, onto accessories!
With the GN-X, you get:
Shield
Beam Sabers x2
Beam Rifle
Beam Rifle add on to make it a long barrel
and an Extra Dramatic hand. AKA GN Claw!

Here he is posed with weapons:
[attachment=0:3s7xtzo3]gnx2.jpg[/attachment:3s7xtzo3]

Now this is the only other problem I have with it. The beam rifle does not want to stay in. Even with the extra plug on the arm, it doesn't create a solid connection. At least on the right arm. On the left it has no issues. I'm not sure why this is, but it's more than workable.

Over all, and despite the small problems, I thoroughly enjoyed this build and I recommend it to others who like Mass Production Suits. It has a very unique design, and while the Zaku still stands as my favorite mps, this is certainly on my list of favorites. The color scheme is a little bland, but it allows for anyone to create their own custom scheme, and I've seen quite a few that are really well done. I might just have to pick up the master grade version after building this one.

Score: 4 haro balls out of 5.
Enjoy guys!

SilverFrameAstray
November 19, 2010, 10:56 PM
Niice. Although the second picture makes GN-X look a bit derpy, but nice still.

I don't think typing out our reviews work half as well mate. Also, do you have any memory other than the 2 gigs I have? We need to get those videos up.

Skittles
November 20, 2010, 1:06 AM
I think all of my issues with the GN-X come down to its actual design - being unable to put its arms down decently looks so awkward. On any machine - Aegis drives me nuts with this.

Is the head on a standard polycap? I just... some other sort of head with eyes or a visor might make it look so much better (to me).

I'd like a picture from behind if you get a chance.

ZeonPeon
November 20, 2010, 12:02 PM
Nice GN-X man. OH MY GOD! WOODEN FLOPPY TAIL LOBSTER! Ha ha. Seriously though, make it fight your Kapool.

GNzaku0023
November 20, 2010, 5:24 PM

I don't think typing out our reviews work half as well mate. Also, do you have any memory other than the 2 gigs I have? We need to get those videos up.

The pic's are nothing more than demo pics. These are not my "pretty pics" lol. As for the vid thing, pm me about that.

I think all of my issues with the GN-X come down to its actual design - being unable to put its arms down decently looks so awkward. On any machine - Aegis drives me nuts with this.

Is the head on a standard polycap? I just... some other sort of head with eyes or a visor might make it look so much better (to me).

I'd like a picture from behind if you get a chance.

As far as the actual design, I think it's better than the second version GN-X (A-LAWS type) It took me forever to decide on weather or not I liked the GN-X, but in the end I really do like it (hence my new Avi).
While this model is limited in articulation, I really enjoyed it.

I'll get a rear view pic up soon.

The head is on a standard polycap, but I can't imagine much else that would look good on the GN-X...maybe an over flag head, but even then idk.

seiei00g
November 23, 2010, 2:00 PM

I don't know. I think it was actually very well done, given the limitations for pictures. I thought the writing was descriptive and I could picture it as I was reading. Well done GNzaku!

Skittles
November 24, 2010, 10:15 PM
As far as the actual design, I think it's better than the second version GN-X (A-LAWS type) It took me forever to decide on weather or not I liked the GN-X, but in the end I really do like it (hence my new Avi).

While this model is limited in articulation, I really enjoyed it.

I'll get a rear view pic up soon.

The head is on a standard polycap, but I can't imagine much else that would look good on the GN-X...maybe an over flag head, but even then idk.

Well, I can certainly give it a shot when I get to that kit. No one is ever safe from me popping their head off and trying it on another body... I actually have a couple Astray-Zaku hybrids floating around from last summer...

squeam
November 24, 2010, 11:07 PM
That stupid forearm slot! If only it wasn't made from 2 halves of the arm. I'm always squeezing the pieces together to get to secure the rifle.

The shield sticker that comes with the kit is so sad. In the manual, the shot of the unpainted, stickerized, pro-Bandai-built model that sticker still looks all ghetto and creased up :lol:

But, o the purp! I wanna take all that armor of, just to show off the sick GN Drive.

GNzaku0023
November 24, 2010, 11:41 PM
The forearm slot is really a pain, and the sticker is the only one that really does the scrunched up look, but it's really not a bad kit.

And I have a question for bandai....Why did you include awesome purple stickers for an active GN-X, but only give us crappy, black inactive stickers for Exia, Dynames, 00, Seravee, Virtue, ect?

Asterisk
November 25, 2010, 6:51 AM
The Throne Eins comes with a purple sticker too, actually. Buuuuuut, I randomly found something interesting around the time I got it.
Honestly? I have NO idea where this came from. It was randomly on the floor in my room the day I got around to finishing the kit. And fancy this, it fits PERFECTLY in the clear dome.
[attachment=1:15zvgcbt]SAM_0001.jpg[/attachment:15zvgcbt]
[attachment=0:15zvgcbt]SAM_0008.jpg[/attachment:15zvgcbt]

GNzaku0023
November 26, 2010, 9:56 PM
That is a very interesting find there Asterisk, very clever use of it too I might add. I'd like to see pictures of that kit whenever your done with it.

Asterisk
November 27, 2010, 4:33 AM
Hell, I did that one last summer. I just took it apart to get at the purple dome thing. I'll get some pictures up later, though. Dark in here, wife's asleep.

SilverFrameAstray
November 29, 2010, 1:27 PM
I think it would be neat to paint something on the purple bit in glow in that dark paint or black light sensative paint. Which is kind of making me want to do that on 00's green GN compressors. It would match the light up GN drives.

Maybe they only gave you the black inactive stickers due to budget cuts? I've had two 00 kits myself, and ended up painting the GN compressor bits.

squeam
December 6, 2010, 6:36 PM
I just don't get why the clear condensors can't be molded in clear green. Even the Qan[T], which has an ENTIRE clear green runner for the blades, has plain old clear condensors and black stickers. Why?