PDA

View Full Version : NoZakuBoy's WIP Thread

NoZakuBoy
February 3, 2013, 8:49 AM
Well the title says it all. I'm kinda lazy as far as taking pictures during the process and I only have time to build on the weekend, so updates probably won't be regular. Anyways the goal is to try and learn a new technique with each build. We'll see how that goes.

Current project:
MG Gouf Custom

Upcoming:
PG Zaku II

NoZakuBoy
February 3, 2013, 8:55 AM
First up is Exia. I bought this kit to experiment with dry-brushing for weathering. Normally I hand-paint my kits, but for this one it’s just a straight out of the box build with minimal decals.

Up first were the weapons. I hate doing them all at the end. I probably won’t display all the weapons either, so that was a good place to start the dry brushing.

I plan to come back and touch these up after a bit more practice on the actual MS.

NoZakuBoy
February 3, 2013, 9:01 AM
The rest of the kit was a pretty straight forward build. Especially when leaving out the decals, which for Exia are extremely small to begin with.

Next step is to mask all the rainbow spectrum plastic stuff (which actually looks cooler than I thought it would) and then the real fun begins.

NoZakuBoy
February 3, 2013, 1:43 PM
So I figured I'd work from the bottom up with the dry brushing. I decided to go with german grey for the armor and I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

The legs would take considerably longer. It's a slow process, and at the same time it's pretty easy to go overboard.

And the waist will wrap things up for this weekend.

When I pick up again, it'll be on to the arms and chest while weathering the inner frame with some chrome silver.

Dlinker
February 3, 2013, 1:59 PM
I'm really liking the weathering. Just the right amount, no going overboard with it. Doing it with a brush?

Deathscythe!
February 3, 2013, 2:16 PM
Ze wefering luuks vary gud, non ?

thwalker13
February 3, 2013, 3:10 PM
Your Exia is looking awesome man. The weathering, like Dlinker said, is just perfect.

Focke Wulf
February 3, 2013, 3:18 PM
Dry brushing is done by a brush. Looking good so far.

Dlinker
February 3, 2013, 7:34 PM
Dry brushing is done by a brush. Looking good so far.

Haha, I know that, but I've seen others use spongy packaging material for it.

NoZakuBoy
February 4, 2013, 1:04 AM
Haha, I know that, but I've seen others use spongy packaging material for it.

Spongy packaging huh? Is it those Tamiya weathering kits by chance? Besides that I only know of airbrushing and dry-brushing for weathering.

Dlinker
February 4, 2013, 2:20 AM
Nope, actual spongy packaging material. I'm not entirely sure if it's the packaging peanuts since those do have somewhat of a spongy texture or the blocks that look and feel very similar to sponges, though much denser. I have some of it at work from all of the laptop boxes the Lenovo repair depot gives us. I should try it out on a spoon, haha.

I don't think it will replace the brush, though. The brush is more versatile.

V0LTES-V01
February 4, 2013, 11:50 PM
Your progress is excellent. Keep it up!

NoZakuBoy
February 5, 2013, 10:19 PM
Thanks Voltes.

Nope, actual spongy packaging material. I'm not entirely sure if it's the packaging peanuts since those do have somewhat of a spongy texture or the blocks that look and feel very similar to sponges, though much denser. I have some of it at work from all of the laptop boxes the Lenovo repair depot gives us. I should try it out on a spoon, haha.

I don't think it will replace the brush, though. The brush is more versatile.

Hmmm, interesting. I am so curious now. Is there any sort of name for this packaging weathering technique? I've been google searching for it and not coming up with anything... If you do try it out you should post some pictures... haha even if it is just a spoon. I'm wondering if the packaging creates a unique texture or something?

Dlinker
February 5, 2013, 11:16 PM
Hmmm, interesting. I am so curious now. Is there any sort of name for this packaging weathering technique? I've been google searching for it and not coming up with anything... If you do try it out you should post some pictures... haha even if it is just a spoon. I'm wondering if the packaging creates a unique texture or something?

Sure thing, man. I just clear-coated a couple of spoons I airbrushed some months ago in preparation for it. I used Future so I'll give it a day or two to dry, then I'll add some white, drab, and grey enamel paint as the weathering. The weathering I'm planning on should make the painted part of the spoon look like it has been used many times to dig for stuff in machines, haha.

There isn't a name for it, as far as I know. Kinda like using a toothbrush instead of a normal flat brush for drybrushing. I saw a model that someone made while googling around and he described doing the weathering on it using spongy material. That's all I got on it, haha.

EDIT: Here are my results with the spoon and pictures of the spongy material. I'm still new to weathering so the results aren't really spectacular.

jayhat100
February 6, 2013, 8:38 PM
Exia is looking good everyone is right just the righy amount of drybrushing.

NoZakuBoy
February 17, 2013, 5:49 PM
So I'm at my parent's house for the long weekend and finally getting some more work done on Exia. Before I came down here, my cat invaded my work station and for a while my Exia was headless and without a GN drive. Thankfully neither of the parts were too hard to find.

Anyways, the arms and chest are finally weathered. Now it's time to go outside and apply some top coat.

thwalker13
February 17, 2013, 7:19 PM
Wow man. That is some awesome looking work there.

NoZakuBoy
February 18, 2013, 12:26 PM
Thanks thwalker13!

So the top coating's all done. I'm pretty happy with the finally outcome as one coat evened out the weathering pretty well. I went ahead and added all the clear pieces and removed the masking from the rainbow spectrum plastic stuff. I'd say this WIP is all done now.

So I really enjoyed dry-brushing. I think it's a great looking effect and another good tool to have in the arsenal. The next project will be my namesake, the MG Gouf Custom, and I'll be making my first ever attempts at removing seams and priming.

thwalker13
February 18, 2013, 12:40 PM
Exia looks awesome man. You did an awesome job with the weathering. What do you have planned for the Gouf?

Edimasta
February 18, 2013, 12:44 PM
Pretty amazing, like it!

NoZakuBoy
February 18, 2013, 1:23 PM
Exia looks awesome man. You did an awesome job with the weathering. What do you have planned for the Gouf?
Thanks! So for the Gouf I was going to do some priming and spray painting which is new for me since I usually hand paint my kits. I'm also thinking about adding some damage as well. And of course more weathering.

Pretty amazing, like it!
Thanks Edimasta.

NoZakuBoy
June 13, 2013, 7:44 PM
Oh man. Time to brush the dust off this thread. So life and work finally caught up with me. I've been on somewhat of a hiatus from gunpla these past three or four months. It's been so long that I forgot when I even started working on the MG Gouf Custom which is my current project/name sake. I think it was some time in March and since then I've been slowly chugging along. I'm tired of it being on my coffee table so I figured I'd try and knock it out before I go on vacation for three weeks. We'll see how that goes.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7444/9029043199_55d214268f_z.jpg

So I think the plan when I started was to try out a few things: priming, spray painting and removing seam lines. Gave up on the priming because I found it completely unnecessary, but I stuck with the seam lines and spraying. Oh, and that's my cat Mollie Moo. She enjoys hindering my progress. When I was building Exia the head and GN drive mysteriously disappeared for several days... I was not pleased.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5494/9031264576_6190102fbe_z.jpg

This was the first attempt at a seam line. Don't know why I couldn't see it before I painted, but this needed way more sanding. The subsequent attempts came out much better though.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7355/9031254562_ce4a4d31ea_z.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3689/9031245574_da56d882ab_z.jpg

Much better.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7394/9029022717_57b8830f07_z.jpg

Another thing I wanted to do was play around with the color scheme a little. I felt some chrome silver would be appropriate. There'll be a lot more of it when it comes time for the weapons... if that time ever comes.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5464/9029010207_39ce85cab9_z.jpg

And so this is where progress currently stands. Everything is panel lined, decal'd, and flat coated. Right now the jury is out on whether I want the chrome to shine or be dull... but I'm leaning towards dull. The next step is to do some dry-brushing and then finish up with the weapons. I hate doing the weapons last and I don't know why I always do this to myself, but oh well.

Anyways, hopefully there will be more to follow in the upcoming days.

Ginga Bishōnen
June 13, 2013, 7:53 PM
Dude, that build looks amazing. Awesome, just awesome.

Dlinker
June 13, 2013, 8:47 PM
Man, I thought you went and joined the ranks of the Disappeared. Glad to see you're back :)

Excellent stuff you got going on so far and loving the chrome silver. I'm interested to see how it will look like when dulled with a flat coat.

About the seamlines, I hate it when the first one or two attempts aren't that good, but the rest are fine...Had it happen to me a few times when I was doing it for my Dynames.

jayhat100
June 13, 2013, 9:02 PM
Really liking the paint very smooth. Can't wait to see it done.

thwalker13
June 13, 2013, 10:06 PM
Awesome man. Simply awesome. The blue looks amazing and the lining and chrome looks amazing.

NoZakuBoy
June 16, 2013, 8:56 PM
Dude, that build looks amazing. Awesome, just awesome.

Really liking the paint very smooth. Can't wait to see it done.

Awesome man. Simply awesome. The blue looks amazing and the lining and chrome looks amazing.

Thanks guys. It's taken me forever to get this far. Things are finally starting to wrap up though.

Man, I thought you went and joined the ranks of the Disappeared. Glad to see you're back :)

Excellent stuff you got going on so far and loving the chrome silver. I'm interested to see how it will look like when dulled with a flat coat.

About the seamlines, I hate it when the first one or two attempts aren't that good, but the rest are fine...Had it happen to me a few times when I was doing it for my Dynames.

Thanks Dlinker. Everyone who knows me says I vanish from time to time, but I usually always come back.

I know what you mean about the seamlines. I was so annoyed by the first one that I didn't even bother to fix it. It was good motivation though to make the rest perfect.

NoZakuBoy
June 16, 2013, 9:02 PM
So quick update. My parents came up here to visit for Father's Day, so not too much work was done on the Gouf. Can't really complain though since that time was spent on the beach. Anyways I did manage to finish dry-brushing one of the legs.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7344/9063553954_ff54c3973b_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7417/9061320931_832d036953_z.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2835/9063543982_71f5ae7907_z.jpg

This should hopefully be a light week work-wise, so I'm hoping to finish up the rest of the body soon.

Dlinker
June 16, 2013, 11:47 PM
Would it be wrong if I say that's some tasty-looking dry-brushing? Because it looks delicious, in the sense that it's done really well.

Subtle and rather realistic in appearance.

I think I'm going to aim for that look the next time I do drybrush weathering on a kit.

thwalker13
June 17, 2013, 7:42 AM
Dlinker hit the nail on the head. That looks great! You could so put this in a diorama with an EZ8.

badlanguage
June 18, 2013, 2:52 PM
That Gouf-leg is really nice! Questions for you, NoZaku, how did you panel-line (wash, marker, etc.)? What did you use to weather with, pastel wash, dry brush, paint wash, etc? Last but not least, what size brush did you use? Sorry for the questions, I love your weathering and plan on using it as inspiration!

NoZakuBoy
June 18, 2013, 10:46 PM
Would it be wrong if I say that's some tasty-looking dry-brushing? Because it looks delicious, in the sense that it's done really well.

Subtle and rather realistic in appearance.

I think I'm going to aim for that look the next time I do drybrush weathering on a kit.

Dlinker hit the nail on the head. That looks great! You could so put this in a diorama with an EZ8.

Thanks guys. I'm glad to see the word subtle in there. I always worry that I'm laying it on too thick. It's easy to get carried away.

And I like the idea of doing a diorama. It would be awesome to showcase Shiro and Norris' final showdown. The EZ8 would be a good kit for trying out battle damage... especially seeing how Norris pwned the 08th MS Team.

That Gouf-leg is really nice! Questions for you, NoZaku, how did you panel-line (wash, marker, etc.)? What did you use to weather with, pastel wash, dry brush, paint wash, etc? Last but not least, what size brush did you use? Sorry for the questions, I love your weathering and plan on using it as inspiration!

Thanks badlanguage. Questions are always welcome. So I did the panel-lining with a grey fine-tip gundam marker. For the weathering I did a dry-brush with Tamiya German Grey. For the brush itself I went with a two. It's just the right size where it doesn't take forever to do the large pieces, but you can still work the finer detailed areas as well.

I'm glad you like the weathering!

badlanguage
June 19, 2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the info! The devil is in the details, as they say. Like you said, I sometimes have a tendency to over-do the weathering. I think my biggest problem in that regard is that I usually do HG models and I just can't see my own weathering that well. Then I take close-up pics and think, "Holy crap I over-did it!!"

NoZakuBoy
June 22, 2013, 9:23 PM
So I didn't make any progress during the week, but got a lot done today. Most of the body has been dry brushed except for the right arm. Also managed to finish the Gatling gun as well. It's an awesome weapon, but there's just so much grey on it. Nothing a little chrome can't fix though.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3692/9110778007_ab44b97e66.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3770/9110775329_8698a7e99e.jpg

It was hard to dry-brush the shield as the black didn't really show up on the grey until I flat-coated everything again. Luckily it came out fine.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5532/9110773225_2568c8b30b.jpg

And the finished product.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3738/9110768869_96ef9d5795.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5330/9110763841_512417e85d.jpg

Right now the only things left are an arm, the 35mm and the heat saber and then that's another project completed.

thwalker13
June 22, 2013, 10:12 PM
Dayum man! All of the equipment looks amazing man. That Gatling Gun fantastic.

Dlinker
June 23, 2013, 12:58 AM
Minimalist details and it looks absolutely perfect with that gun and shield. Good stuff, man. Good stuff.

NoZakuBoy
June 23, 2013, 12:22 PM
And last, but not least here is the 35mm gatling. That wraps up everything for this kit. After some three months of building on and off it's finally done.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3686/9118121930_e6d5a70d54.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3747/9118118086_42f0b5bc84.jpg

Next up is a PG Zaku II, which I probably wont start until August.

Dlinker
June 23, 2013, 2:01 PM
So back to a hiatus until then?

NoZakuBoy
June 23, 2013, 6:03 PM
For the time being yes. I've got a three-week road trip coming up, followed by Dragon Con at the end of Aug. A friend somehow convinced me to cosplay so I'll probably be working on my outfit until the con.

I'll be lurking around the forums still, but as far as builds go I'm going to hold off until after this other project is done.

Dlinker
June 23, 2013, 7:30 PM
Sounds like you got your summer all planned out.

Don't worry, your thread will still be here when you come back, haha.