PDA

View Full Version : Don't get the HGUC Hy-gogg unless you're looking for a challenge.

Ultra
January 23, 2013, 1:14 PM
It's got a million seam lines to deal with. Each arm is made up of 4 grey sections and each of these have seam lines which need to be dealt with. Some of the seam lines are awkwardly placed too. Especially on the backpack. Probably gonna have to buy a sanding stick to deal with them.

thwalker13
January 23, 2013, 2:06 PM
I'd imagine that it's similar to that of the Z'Gok. I have the HGUC Char Custom Z'Gok and it's a pretty good looking kit right out of the box.

Ultra
January 23, 2013, 2:21 PM
Similar yes but the ones on the Hy-gogg are smaller which makes it harder.

uncleremuslegend
January 23, 2013, 3:56 PM
one of the main reasons to not buy HG's if you aren't wanting to tackle all the seam lines... i have yet to have a HG that didn't require at least a few hours of cut filing and gap filling before it was 'correct' in the terms of realism... MG's even have this issue on certain kits/sections... PG's however are a different story

Ultra
January 23, 2013, 4:45 PM
I'm fine with seam lines. Most traditional types that are humanoid are gonna be a lot easier than this since the arm sections aren't gonna be as small as these are on this kit.

Exia
January 23, 2013, 7:18 PM
one of the main reasons to not buy HG's if you aren't wanting to tackle all the seam lines... i have yet to have a HG that didn't require at least a few hours of cut filing and gap filling before it was 'correct' in the terms of realism... MG's even have this issue on certain kits/sections... PG's however are a different story

Excuse me? You mean to say for you. Some could care less about seam lines and all that extra generally uneeded "requirements".

ItsVince725
January 23, 2013, 7:37 PM
Yeah, I don't look at my models and say "wow, look at all those seam lines"...

Ultra
January 23, 2013, 8:22 PM
Did you really just say seamlines aren't annoying? No one likes them. The only reason people don't get rid of them sometimes is because they can't paint.

Exia
January 23, 2013, 8:53 PM
Did you really just say seamlines aren't annoying? No one likes them. The only reason people don't get rid of them sometimes is because they can't paint.

Speak for yourself. Seamlines don't elicit enough from me to justify saying I either "like" or "don't like" them. I don't go "damn look at all those seamlines" (like ItsVince725 said) I go "damn....I should move that right arm alittle so the sword looks even cooler". I've been more annoyed at decals than seamlines.

Ultra
January 23, 2013, 9:09 PM
Having your own opinion is fine but i'm sure most would disagree with you.

thwalker13
January 23, 2013, 10:35 PM
Actually I agree with Exia. I have a ton of kits, and not once have I ever thought, "god those seam lines look awful".

Squee
January 24, 2013, 12:12 AM
Seamlines are the reason i don't buy as many figures as i used to. Every time i look at my transformer collection, all i can see are seamlines. Bugs the heck out of me.

If you're going to paint a kit, why not take the little extra effort to remove the seams. It's like you have this nicely painted build, but you don't do the proper prep work.

cuddleface
January 24, 2013, 12:38 AM
no seamline non lovers, i dont want to spend hrs of time fix those eye soaring seamlines, i know it would make the model look so much cooler n what not, but im not that good with plastic models; maybe i should just buy a toy instead...
ps. i was gonna link some oob builds of my kits with seamlines with cool poses.. but then i realized it doesnt look as good =(

frosencarrotz
January 24, 2013, 12:51 AM
http://narwhaler.com/img/ic/j/this-thread-gave-me-cancer-60s-spiderman-ICjTSM.jpg

Dlinker
January 24, 2013, 1:27 AM
Wow, I didn't think this would be a sensitive topic. Personally, I think seamlines should be filled on certain areas only where not having a seamline would go a long way towards improving the kit's appearance (mostly applies to HG kits, especially old ones), but I'm cool with others not bothering to fill them in. I like the challenge of filling them in, but if it's too much work or doesn't really bother me, I leave the seamline as is. Always depends on the situation.

ChapelMkII
January 24, 2013, 2:04 AM
Wow, I didn't think this would be a sensitive topic. Personally, I think seamlines should be filled on certain areas only where not having a seamline would go a long way towards improving the kit's appearance (mostly applies to HG kits, especially old ones), but I'm cool with others not bothering to fill them in. I like the challenge of filling them in, but if it's too much work or doesn't really bother me, I leave the seamline as is. Always depends on the situation.

^ This. Took the words right out of my mouth, D.

Jfl0
January 24, 2013, 8:53 AM
Oh there are much bigger things to gripe about. Like when Bandai is going to release my MG Altron Custom and another PG kit or two.

Seam lines aren't a big deal for me. It really depends on the skill of the builder. Generally, it may be a turnoff for beginners and intermediates to look at a kit and say "yuck, seamlines- can't/don't want to deal with them, avoid". I can understand that. Me, I'll go in and fill the things. I really don't think it's that hard to go in and fill a seam line. 90% of the time I get what I want within 1-2 passes. Usually in 1 pass. It really does make a difference in the appearance of the kit. Beware of older HGUCs and non grades- those are seam line heaven if you are into that kind of thing.

LOL at carrots.

uncleremuslegend
January 24, 2013, 11:07 AM
wow just wow... sorry my opinion was so radical that it caused this conversation

keep ignoring those seams, they look great!!!

Dlinker
January 24, 2013, 1:28 PM
wow just wow... sorry my opinion was so radical that it caused this conversation

keep ignoring those seams, they look great!!!

Yeah, I was surprised at the response too. Another touchy subject around here, apparently. Nothing wrong with your opinion and it certainly doesn't seem radical. You don't like seamlines, but others are fine with them and that's that.

Jfl0
January 24, 2013, 2:37 PM
Yeah, I was surprised at the response too. Another touchy subject around here, apparently. Nothing wrong with your opinion and it certainly doesn't seem radical. You don't like seamlines, but others are fine with them and that's that.

*shrug*.

I don't have a problem filling seam lines.
If people want to avoid seam lines, that's cool.
If people like seam lines, that's cool too.

cuddleface
January 26, 2013, 4:55 PM
fyi, i was been sarcastic... no wonder bandai kinda abandoned the american market...
seam lines are ugly, so r the kits built with them

Deathscythe!
January 26, 2013, 5:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AAIHO5IZqU

Squee
January 26, 2013, 6:30 PM
Great video. Shows how simple it is to remove the lines with just a simple amount of work.

BTW, anyone have the HGUC Hygogg or experimental type and doesn't want it? lol I'll buy it off you if you no longer want it.:p

Ultra
January 26, 2013, 7:00 PM
If you had asked me that I few days I would have been happy to comply (I want an easier kit! Nearly done it now however). That's the method I use. And also just filling and then sanding so any excess.

Dlinker
January 26, 2013, 8:35 PM
My only trouble with removing seamlines is the need to modify some parts so it can be assembled properly. For example, you fuse the calves together, but that means having to modify either the calves or the joint connecting the calves to the rest of the leg so you can still paint both parts and put them together after. I know it's not always needed, but it can be a challenge.

Squee
January 26, 2013, 8:56 PM
^That is actually really enjoyable for me to do. It adds a whole 'nother can of puzzle to the build.

http://i39.tinypic.com/51vxg6.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/1zcmt5t.jpg

My favorite is to do it on SD's and HG's!

Dlinker
January 26, 2013, 11:24 PM
@Squee,

I think that's the next challenge I need to try out. My HG Duel Gundam w/ Assault Shroud that's still in the box and untouched since being bought last year will be the unfortunate one I'll experiment with, haha. I'd love to try it on my 1/100 Dynames, but I think it's best to start with a smaller scale first.

Squee
January 26, 2013, 11:34 PM
Yea, once you start doing it, it just gets easier and easier. And then, once you have your way of doing it, you'll never want to go back. lol

This hobby is really all about trying new things and trying to better yourself imo.

Joe
January 27, 2013, 11:52 PM
Okay, so been at this hobby for 13 years now, yeah? I've grown quite a bit and picked up a lot of skills. I will probably never do heavy modifications, and I will probably never do any big time scratch building. I have an airbrush, but lack a proper station at which to work it. I have been hand painting for as long as I can remember.

Here's the thing though, I don't care to remove seam lines on most kits, ever. To date, the only kits that I can remember trying really hard to remove all the seams are the 1/144 Wing kits I've been working on over the past 3 years or so (Been trying to re-build kit from my older collection and do them justice) and a few HGUC kits here and there, OH! and the old glue together kits from the 80's. That's not very much considering the size of my collection. And there's a reason for that.

I hate sanding and trying to get into the little cracks and crevasses. It's a true pain in me bum. But that's just me. I'm perfectly happy with most kits out of the box, paint some details here and there, panel line it, decals/markings, and on occasion top coat it. I don't see a need to fill in every seem or even any seams if the modeler doesn't want to.

All that being said, I know a kit will look a ton better with those seams filled and sanded and the whole thing done up proper like. I've also seen some nice kits that didn't have seams removed. It's ALL modelers choice!

I've stopped posting here for while now because I lurk and I see threads like this. It started out fine, I clicked on it hoping for a good discussion on how to get rid of seams or a talk about the model, perhaps suggestions of a better kit to build or comparisons with worse kits. But it quickly divulged into a debate about whether or not a model looks good if there are/aren't seams. I've read every post and some people seemed to have gotten offended for innocent comments and some people were outright insulting!

The Gunpla community is falling apart, there's no sense in having a community if we aren't going to commune and get along. Yes, give criticism, but make it constructive. Don't EVER claim a modeler is lazy or doesn't know how to do something just because they don't do it. I know of a couple modelers that just like to put things together, no painting, no panel lining, just snap fitting. If that's how they like to enjoy the hobby, what is wrong with that?!

We are supposed to support each other, teach those that want to learn, and respect those that don't.

I'm going back to lurker mode, but if this message board starts to turn into another Gundam Eclipse or worse G.O.U.F. I'm out.

Some of you are taking plastic just a little too seriously.

Dlinker
January 28, 2013, 12:51 AM
@Joe,

Please don't take any of this the wrong way; I mean no arrogance or offense. I've been responding to many of the new threads coming up on this board since I got out of lurker mode and so far, this is the only one that's gotten such a passionate response. Not sure why; the comment that started all of this didn't seem out of the ordinary nor was it hostile or any of that negative stuff.

Going back on-topic somewhat, I wonder if it's a good method to use plastic plate for hiding seamlines. Hmmm, actually, maybe not, unless the seamline is on a part with plenty of flat areas.

Squee
January 28, 2013, 1:52 AM
^Some people like to put them over the split in the armor on the top of the chest i've seen.

Dlinker
January 28, 2013, 2:42 AM
That's what I was thinking of, or on the forearms and shoulders provided there aren't too many curves and angles. The legs are what baffle me. I'm looking at my Zaku Sniper and I just can't figure out how to mod it so joint and leg can be painted while separate and still be put together (it's already painted and finished, but I can't help wondering, haha). Meh, maybe I just need to something to practice on so my brain gets going.