PDA

View Full Version : Shelf Life

squeam
August 23, 2011, 4:44 PM
The first episode of our podcast is live! Go to http://www.shelflife.tk/ to download it!

Please tell us what you think. Any reasonable criticism will be appreciated.

GNzaku0023
August 23, 2011, 5:01 PM
Love the invader zim intro!!!
If I may, there's a bit of fuzz to you're recording, and if you want to spend a bit of extra money, get a blue snowball microphone and record through Audacity. It'll improve the quality greatly, and the mic is only like 100 bucks.

I'm really enjoying the podcast so far, I'm most definitely subscribing!!

squeam
August 23, 2011, 5:08 PM
I used Audacity, I think next time I'll work a little longer at removing some of that stuff; I have zero experience with the program. Knew you'd appreciate that particular music :)

GNzaku0023
August 23, 2011, 10:23 PM
Audacity is soo great. But the blue snowball is a perfect microphone for doing podcasts and such. I've got one and I plan on using it to record some guitar stuffs and whatnot. Once I get a recording up I'll send you a link so you can see the quality.

SilverFrameAstray
August 24, 2011, 2:43 AM
Audacity is soo great. But the blue snowball is a perfect microphone for doing podcasts and such. I've got one and I plan on using it to record some guitar stuffs and whatnot. Once I get a recording up I'll send you a link so you can see the quality.

I wonder if we can integrate the snowball to our reviews somehow. If not the podcast which has been dead. Although I think we now need something that we'd need to co-host, and we'll now have to upload videos individually. Gonna be odd to only have one of us review at a time.

RX-78-2
September 3, 2011, 11:42 AM
I absolutely love shelflife I can't wait for more. One thing I hate about model kits is if they have a gimmick they are expensive.I totally agree with you about the gundam community i want to help and expand as much as possible also

squeam
October 2, 2011, 8:47 AM
I've finally finished editing Episode 2 and it is live here: www.shelflife.tk Let us know what you guys think. Hope you enjoy our little backstories! (SFA, I think you'll like the music in this one!)

RX-78-2
October 2, 2011, 7:45 PM
Those backstories are so familiar all that stuff with your first MG and how you came to do review are the exact same for me with the screws and everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will post my story if you want me to! Did i hear right that you kids name is zala if so that's awesome. Oh and where do you live because i know what you mean about Ohio.

squeam
October 2, 2011, 9:33 PM
We would love to hear your story! The cat's name is Zala. We're in PA.

RX-78-2
October 3, 2011, 4:28 PM
That's awesome power to gundam kitties will edit this post with my story soon. By the way PA has many HobbyTown USA shops and they usually sell gundam models they have a store locator on their site too hopefully you can find one near you!

My story

I was introduced to G gundam when I was 3 when my older bro got some dvds in 5th grade I rediscovered said dvd's ran through the entire series then I got my first model 1/200 speed grade rx-78-2 my first paintjob also just recently after that I hungered for more gundam and ended up buying Dynasty warriors gundam which introduced me to the whole gundam world following that i consumed the original MSG followed by tons of HGUC and finally my first MG the God Gundam (I will always have a special spot for G) when like you I discovered with horror, the screws!!! It didn't turn out great but I have continued I eventually started my youtube channel with rx-0 (we have a new review in mind for this) and came here etc. Now I am a gundam fiend and love everything gundam!!!!!!!!! So that is my story

squeam
November 25, 2011, 7:36 AM
After much illness, disaster, and general procrastination, Episode 3: The Model Manifest is finally up!

We talk about the following:

Legoland Florida
Gunpla at EPCOT
The Lego/Mecha Anime Connection
All the latest Gunpla News
A Comprehensive Overview of all of Bandai's Gundam kit lines
Replay with the HGUC Gabthley
...and lots of other junk!

squeam
December 5, 2011, 5:32 PM
Episode 4: Master Piece Theatre is up!

As the name suggests, we kick around the topic of Master Grades. More specifically, our favorites. We give our picks of our favorite MGs we have built and also our top 5 favorite MGs of all time. Of course, we return with the usual News, Builds and Buys, and Replay segments.

Some things discussed:
Robot Damshii upcoming releases
Zeon sensibilites
big 80s shoulders (again)
shield design ::yawn::
having TOO many accessories
OOB haters
ExMSiA MkII
Glorious Series
Click here and let us know what you think: http://www.archive.org/download/Episode4MasterPieces/Episode4.mp3 (right click and save)

Feel free to list some MG faves below or one the Shelf Life homepage. Or you could go to some threads here that talk about MGs or favorite kits.

RX-78-2
December 27, 2011, 9:11 AM
Oh my gosh I actually just used my mouth to bite off tabs on my first 2 models!

squeam
February 8, 2012, 7:49 AM
Episode 6: Advance of Gunpla http://www.archive.org/download/Episode6AdvanceOfGunpla/Episode6.mp3

Segment1: The News, Builds and Buys. Wherein we discuss the latest and greatest in the world of Gunpla. Everyone say hello to our first guest: Master Slaptimus, but you can call him...well, you decide. We fight over the color green and talk about how awesome this community is at helping new modelers.

Segment 2: The Evolution of Gunpla. Squeam gives his thesis on how Bandai's molding techniques have progressed, followed by our thoughts on increases in pricing and quality of kits.

Segment 3: Predictions for 2012 and Beyond, 2011 Builder's Choice Award, Replay, Squeam's Boredom Busters. What we think is coming soon in the world of Gundam model kits and also, the YOUR choice for the best kit of 2011.

Random items found in this ep:
G-Gundam Master Grades
More 2.0s?
Taking advantage of consumers
Noob builder problems
Expensive MGs
The next HG line
Is RG Zeta a possibility?
Monkeys

*edit: realized I never posted link to Episode 5: The 2011 Plastic Model Awards, so here it is: http://www.archive.org/download/Episode5The2011PlasticModelAwards/Episode5.mp3

squeam
July 23, 2012, 9:22 PM
Episode 9A is live! Here's the direct audio link for y'all: http://archive.org/download/​Episode9a-CharsCounterattackani​me/Episode9A.mp3

A brief description:

This is the first part of what turned out to be a marathon recording for us. Due to popular demand, we decided to finally take the plunge into discussing the actual anime that our favorite kits and toys are from. We started out with an easy one to do: Char's Counterattack.

Segment 1: Contains an abridged list of the News in the world of Gunpla, and an exhaustive litany of items that Master Slaptimus is looking forward to, none of them Gunpla. Our Builds and Buys have been limited by the decision that we are going to Otakon 2012, but we still have some things to talk about. Other points that came up: Dunbine vs. Qubeley, Zeta Gundam vs. Beast Wars, Lunger's assimilation into the cult of Halo, "It's got the Bunny!"

Segment 2: Wherein we contemplate the meaning of "T" shaped doodads and green sparkles of love in our "review" of Char's Counterattack.

Joe
July 23, 2012, 10:05 PM
I'll have full comments after I'm done listening (I love this podcast!). But I would like to say Slaptimus is finally hearable. He seemed like he was shy and soft spoken before but he's sounding much better in this episode.

Joe
July 24, 2012, 12:24 AM
Squeam, I totally agree about Altron's beam trident, kind of a stupid weapon. Slaptimus's segment was full of tangents, very funny, good conversation. SarethLunger's obsession with Halo is getting as bad as my Gundam obsession :-P.

So in the end of Char's Counterattack... which one is Bruce Willis?! LOL

I think what Char was trying to do is make life unlivable for humans on Earth and then (even though it will take a million years) let the Earth heal itself without people poluting it further. Granted the nukes and the giant dust clouds are going to jack things up a bit for mother nature, but mankind won't be there with all the smog and dust clouds and nuk- oh wait...

Quess and Hathaway are supposed to be likable by younger audience members and because of their youth and angst they remind the older audience where Gundam started. If you think about it, they each represent how characters and even factions keep making stupid and brash decisions perpetuating misery in the Universal Century. By the way, my lovely fiance for some strange reason likes Quess.

I think Char's issues can be explained. I've defended the guy a number of times and I feel I understand him pretty well.

Okay so we know that Char's mother was taken into custody after Zeon Zum Daikun's death while the two children, Casval and Artesia, fled to Earth. Casval basically is brainwashed by Jinba Ral to hate the Zabi's etc etc. Now, in this scenario, Char has a father figure in both Don Teabolo Mass and Jinba Ral but no mother figure. He grew up hard and with a will only for vengeance for the death of his father. He also had to learn to be charismatic, sly, persuasive, and clever. He's clearly intelligent and willing to work very hard to achieve a goal. During the OYW, though two things happen. One, is he finds a rival - this loner, techno-freak from side seven, a kid, actually manages to survive and repel attack after attack by Char and his crew. That sort of thing changes someone who is used to being number one at everything. So his Rival with Amuro distracts him from his goals of revenge against the Zabi family, at least for a while. The second thing that happens is for the first time he learns how nurturing a woman can be. Char never really got a chance to have a nurturing motherly figure. His real mother was a diva of a night club, not really mother material. She was also separated from her children when the kids were still pretty young. Enter Lalah Sune, a kind hearted girl, both young and beautiful and she has this ability to understand people instantly. She latches onto the young Captain (not knowing the one she was meant for was Amuro) and Char, feeling the nurturing love of a woman for perhaps the first time in his life becomes incredibly attached to her; whether he admits his deep feelings to himself or not, they are there.

So we all know the story, Lalah gets struck down in battle and from that point on Char's and Amuro's rivalry with each other is cemented. The war ends and Char has nothing much to live for. He can't keep fighting Amuro who gets locked up on Earth. He doesn't have Lalah to start a new life with, he's just sort of lost.

Skip ahead to Zeta. I have a firm belief that through out this whole arch of Char's story, he is lying to himself. He says he's over Lalah but he clearly isn't. He is unable to become attached to any other woman, even when Reccoa is throwing herself at him, he can't accept the love of a woman. He is clearly not meant to be a leader, he lacks the proper kind of confidence in himself that a leader needs. That's why he continually through the first half of the series says things like he is Quatro Bajina and nothing more; not wanting to take on the responsibilities of leadership that would come with announcing to the world who he really is. He only wants to fight and be a soldier, like the glory days before Amuro, before Lalah. He is a fighter and as long as he has the thrill of the battlefield he can feel life in himself. So then why at Dekkar does he do it, why tell everyone that he is Char and he's come to make the world right again? His re-encounter with Amuro sparks the flames in him once again! It brings back the days when he had a rival, a reason to fight! Not just fighting for the sake of fighting, but a goal! His goal was to defeat Amuro, to sink the Trojan Horse. Now he feels he needs a reason for living and fighting again. That's when he decides to take charge of the AEUG, give rise to his father's real intentions, and really gives purpose to himself. After all, he did help defeat and kill off the Zabi's he got his revenge for the murder of his father. Now it was time to enact his father's wishes of a new mankind in space. This will give Char meaning again.

Okay, so we know how that goes, he has purpose and is defeated again in battle by Haman Karn. Skip ahead to Char's Counterattack. This time, he's desperate. He has nothing but the character he created of himself for himself, his public character. Only Nanai really understands what a broken man Char is, but that's not enough. Char's life didn't turn out so well. The only person he ever connected with was struck down by his biggest rival who he could never defeat in battle. The cause of the AEUG was lost and the Earth is still a polluted mess and the politicians are as evil and greedy as ever. This is it, time for the end game. Destroy the Earth, that will not only fulfill the ideals of the AEUG (in an extreme crazy sort of way, sure) but will also draw out Amuro who Char knows is piloting for Londo Bell now. This is Char's motivations for his actions in CCA, he wants to set right all the failures that never should have been. The ghost of Lalah never left him, even if he did say he was over her loss in Zeta. Char is a tormented soul who just happened to have enough influence to drop 5th Luna on the Earth and got THIS CLOSE => | | to dropping Axis on Earth as well... But once again... Frickin' Amuro!

So I feel Char had reasoning for the way he acted in CCA.

You know who had no reason for dropping large masses on Earth?! Millyardo Peacecraft!

squeam
August 1, 2012, 6:08 AM
The second half of our Char's Counterattack discussion is up: http://archive.org/download/Episode9b-CharsCounter-counterattack/Episode9B.mp3

We go over all the HGUCs, MGs, and HCM-Pros made for the movie, as well as some of the other plastic-y stuff Bandai has made. As all fans of Gunpla are inclined to do, we then give our hopes for what other kits could be made to make us happy. We wrap up the epsiode with the usual Squeam's Boredom Busters and Replay. Hope you guys like it!

squeam
August 4, 2012, 3:57 PM
Epidode 10: Otakon 2012, featuring the Gundam Official Panel presented by Sunrise is LIVE! http://archive.org/download/Episode10Otakon2012Feat.GundamOfficialPanel/Episode10.mp3

Check it out! Gotta run....

Joe
August 4, 2012, 5:04 PM
I wish you guys could have touched more on the original CCA model kit line, but I have a feeling none of you have one of those kits :-P.

Great work on the CCA episodes, I thoroughly enjoyed every second! Listening to the Otakon 2012 podcast later today and I'll be sure to leave you some feedback!

Joe
August 5, 2012, 9:49 PM
Your Otakon podcast was FANTASTIC! Thank you so much for bringing the panel experience to your listeners. Someday I'll make it to a convention and someday I'll make it to Gundam Panel! I WILL!

Sounds like the panel was actually kind of bland, though. With basically a message that said, "Thanks for buying our crap! Continue to import our stuff at really high prices!"

Good to know that AGE got a huge reaction. I would be very curious to know what those barriers to bring AGE over here, too. Bandai's answer to questions like that or when this or that series will come here are often very very vague. That's nothing new if you have kept up with these sorts of panels and press releases.

I love that Tomino is a grumpy old man, that means there is still integrity in the franchise! I REALLY like that they do so so so much for U.C. series to make sure everything is absolutely perfect and just right and all the details are in place.

I can't believe no one asked about the fate of the Turn A Gundam North American Release. I mean you and I and everyone knows it's a lost cause for a while now, but it would be nice to get a solidified answer from an official source that it's a dead project.

EDIT: Oops, though it was over after the panel talk.

BOOGER-FACE! or is he Bear now? Glad he got to participate!
I really want one of those clear Banshees! I actually want two, one to build out of box and one to take that clear psyco frame and use it with a normal Banshee HG to better match the Unicorn.

You know just from hearing Slappy's voice, I always sort of pictured him as really tall :-P.

Last but not least, did you know your website is down? www.shelflife.tk leads nowhere!

squeam
August 6, 2012, 6:18 AM
I really, really wanted to be able to broadcast direct audio from the panel, but I have junky "equipment" and the file was terrible. We thought our little roleplay was the best way to simulate actually being there.

I went back and listened to the raw audio and the fan that asked the question about NA releases of older Gundam shows mentioned Turn A, I believe. The fan questions were very hard to hear and they tended to ramble on a bit non-sensically; Lunger really should have mentioned Turn A in the list, but oh well.

www.shelflife.tk is working again! The ".tk" domain name decided it was time to charge us for its usage. So I just had to pay up :P

We are considering doing a "bonus" episode with extra Otakon stuff, because we realized we never talked about Gunpla Builder's World Cup, UC Episode 5 screening, the panel after it, and lots of other things we left out. However, we still want to do a proper Episode 11 next month...so we're going to try to squeeze some more Otakon talk.

Joe
August 6, 2012, 8:32 AM
YES! I would love to hear all about the GBWC and the screening! Gotta crack down on those interupters though, Squeam. They like to talk over you :-P.

I'm feeling kid of spoiled over here. Had three episodes all very close together! Enjoying every word from you guys though :-D.

squeam
September 11, 2012, 10:18 PM
Episode 11 is here!

https://archive.org/download/Episode11-XlInterview/Episode11.mp3

Have you ever wondered who Bluefin Distribution is? Have you wished for the oppurtunity to let Bandai know what kits and figures you want them to make next, but didn't know how? Ever curious as to why they are called Robot Damashiis? Or maybe you think Gunpla is getting too expensive? Well, all these questions and more are answered in our interview with Bluefin Distribution and Tamashii Nation's own Xavier Lim.

He let us in on the inner workings of how the toys and model kits that we all love get to our shores. He also explains his role in the process, as well as how Bandai treats the North American market. Our reactions to these questions are also given.

Segment 1: News and Builds and Buys. All the latest stuff, plus some old stuff! Our thoughts on RG Zeta! Overreactions to HGUC Byralant Custom and MG Nu ver. Ka! No Riddler news! No Armor Girls! Plus, a teaser for an upcoming CONTEST!

Segment 2: Interview with Xavier Lim. The real reason you downloaded Episode 11.

Segment 3: Squeam's Boredom Busters and Replay, featuring a many bladed, green-particle driven fan favorite that is cheap.

Shiro45
September 12, 2012, 12:13 PM
Fantastic episode!!! Is there any way I can get it on iTunes, or will it be another episode 8? :-( As it is, I have to keep either the Facebook or Safari apps open to listen to it, (with the screen on) which eats up my battery really quickly... My phone won't let me actually download it for whatever reason... More on Otakon please, and interview episodes! You guys are getting better and better!!! =D

squeam
September 12, 2012, 12:28 PM
I should hope iTunes picks it up. If this one doesn't get "grabbed" I definitely have to get to the bottom of it. It usually takes a little bit til iTunes gets pinged on the RSS feed.

Joe
September 12, 2012, 2:44 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. I've tried listening to a number of podcasts and I usually can't stand all the talk about other stuff. I've yet to find another podcast that is 90% Gundam related like Shelf Life. The only other podcast I listen to regularly is Gundamn! @ MAHQ. And they don't entertain like you and your family, squeam. I may edit this with all of my comments from Facebook later.

Suzaku
September 12, 2012, 3:20 PM
For the record, Shelf Life is how I found this forum....

I'm still catching up on back casts, but I'm loving the podcast!

Shiro45
September 12, 2012, 3:31 PM
Thanks Squeam! I'll keep checking back with it... :-)

squeam
September 12, 2012, 4:07 PM
Hey, you guys are all awesome!

We cannot believe that anyone would be interested in hearing us ramble on about plastic models and toys for hours on end. We surely never envisioned anyone enjoying it as much as you all do! Of course, we hoped some people would be mildly curious and maybe even slightly entertained; but the overwhelmingly positive responses of especially our last few episodes is humbling. We want to continue making fun and informative episodes to continue bringing this community together. We hope that you all will join us for the ride!

That said, we are ALWAYS looking for ways to improve and the only way to do that is to accept criticism, see changes that need to be made, and follow through with them. So: if there is anything you would like to see more or less of - or if you simply have a topic you would like to hear us discuss - PLEASE let us know! Here, our Facebook page, my e-mail (timbernewtype@yahoo.com), my Twitter, whatever; just let us know how to make it better.

One more thing: tell everyone to give us "Likes" on Facebook to get us to 100 and thus start the contest! Thanks so much for listening!

RX-78-2
September 12, 2012, 4:36 PM
I love it, you guys made me want to watch Chars Counterattack I'm 3/4 of the way through and loving every minute

Joe
September 12, 2012, 7:33 PM
I for one would love to hear more threats of violence to Luna :-P.

Shiro45
September 14, 2012, 8:51 PM
I'd also like to thank Shelf Life for introducing me to RG kits after I've been out of the game for so long... I'm now the proud owner of every Universal Century kit in the line as of this week. Squeam's description of RG's being between MG's and PG's in episode 3 sold me right away... My only complaints with the line are 1) the small scale (I'm so used to 1/100) and 2) the shoulder and upper arms of the RX-78-2 slide around a bit and are not that stable. Otherwise I am VERY impressed. Also, I purchased all but two of these kits at GG Infinite, which I had never even heard of before Shelf Life!

Shelf Life is AWESOME!!! =D

squeam
September 15, 2012, 2:11 PM
Fantastic episode!!! Is there any way I can get it on iTunes, or will it be another episode 8? :-( As it is, I have to keep either the Facebook or Safari apps open to listen to it, (with the screen on) which eats up my battery really quickly... My phone won't let me actually download it for whatever reason... More on Otakon please, and interview episodes! You guys are getting better and better!!! =D

Ok, so Episode 11 isn't up on iTunes yet. I think I have an idea why: the file is too large. Ep.8 was the first I tried a new export technique that eliminated most of the "harshness" in our voices in earlier episodes. However, the files are larger and it seems that if they are too large, iTunes is reluctant to pick them up. SO, what I've done is re-exported 11, re-uploaded it to archive.org, and re-posted it on the Shelf Life page. I'm hoping that, in a day or so, iTunes will put THAT version up. It is entitled "Epsiode 11 (192 ver.)" Hopefully, that will solve the problem with iTunes and you can listen to it easier :)