PDA

View Full Version : Your workplace

SilverFrameAstray
November 1, 2010, 4:12 PM
So as some of you know, the four of us GNZ/ZP/Cii/myself all have build days and build kits on one day like some sort of adult play date or so. So I wanted to show you guys what it looks like when we all build together. I have just the one picture for now, but will post more later.

What we want to know, is what does it look like when you build? What does your work space look like?
What equipment do you use when you build a kit?

Zeta-G
November 1, 2010, 4:27 PM
You can see part of my workspace in my Wing, Kshatriya, and Re-ZEL pics.
My equipment is as follows:
Black collapsable table (so I can stash my equipment out of the way when I'm not working on Gunpla).
Cutting board.
X-ACTO Blade.
Q-Tips.
Gundam markers.
Liquid Cement (for repairing parts on the rare occasion in which one breaks).
Ruler (for measuring pipe length and the like).
Scotch tape (for holding decals in place, so I can rub them on with little risk of them being damaged).

SilverFrameAstray
November 1, 2010, 4:32 PM
Not a bad setup. We have a box filled with:

-Spray paints of assorted colors
-Testors paints
-paint brushes
-.20mm and .25mm panel line markers
-multiple xacto knives
-multitools
-modeling glue
-tooth picks (for very fine painting)
-qtips
-painter's tape
-dykes (clippers)
-soldering iron (for damage)

then we each have our own little bits for what we feel comfortable with when we build. I have a bench vice that I use to hold a piece still for when I apply decals flawlessly. Rather have one steady hand than two shaky ones.

Zeta-G
November 1, 2010, 4:37 PM
I forgot to mention that part of my workplace involves a coaster for geek fuel (caffeine) receptacles. Caffeine is my queen, without her I wouldn't be able to do my marathon building sessions. :D

SilverFrameAstray
November 1, 2010, 4:41 PM
I'm a Mountain Dew junkie. If you look at me and GNZ's review channel, you can see I'm wearing a green Mountain Dew Racing Beanie (I'm a mechanic so I love racing...not NASCAR). Every build day we usually buy one or two cases of Mountain Dew.

NanoSpore
November 1, 2010, 5:03 PM
TV is included since it's always on when I build. :lol:
-Cutting Board
-Xacto Knife
-Gundam Markers
-Screwdriver Set
-Sanding Sticks
-Tweezers
-Paint
-Tape
-BRIGHTEST LAMP EVER

Got some miscellaneous stuff in a box like qtips, cups, paper, etc.

Zeta-G
November 1, 2010, 5:42 PM
TV is included since it's always on when I build. :lol:
-Cutting Board
-Xacto Knife
-Gundam Markers
-Screwdriver Set
-Sanding Sticks
-Tweezers
-Paint
-Tape
-BRIGHTEST LAMP EVER

Got some miscellaneous stuff in a box like qtips, cups, paper, etc.
I knew I forgot something (small head screwdriver)...
I also tend to have my tv running. (as for light I just place my table directly under my ceiling lights)

squeam
November 3, 2010, 9:51 AM
This is how it happens here

Asterisk
November 3, 2010, 1:31 PM
Lol so hard at QUALITY CONTROL and Gerbera Straight.

Zeta-G
November 3, 2010, 1:38 PM
This is how it happens here
Thanks squeam. Now I feel innadequate... (I'm kidding) ;)
Seriously though, nice set up (and handy little diagram).

squeam
November 3, 2010, 5:00 PM

As I build he screams instructions at me in the "Twist those knobs! Twist those knobs! You: pull some levers! PULL SOME LEVERS!!" fashion.

SilverFrameAstray
November 3, 2010, 5:02 PM
Top notch display! I do enjoy that Gerbera straight bit, Astray is my favorite gundam (Amatsu is an astray, just beefed up).

Very nice though. I forgot to mention we have tons of different grit sandpaper for runner nubs.

GNzaku0023
November 3, 2010, 5:17 PM

As I build he screams instructions at me in the "Twist those knobs! Twist those knobs! You: pull some levers! PULL SOME LEVERS!!" fashion.

Nice invader zim reference. My workplace is still in the process of being set up, however, I will have a haro watching over it.

Skittles
November 5, 2010, 11:02 PM
[attachment=0:17xczvpv]013.JPG[/attachment:17xczvpv]

Cleaned a few days before I headed to Cali for an anime convention...

Not that clean now... (I need to figure out where to put a few lovely new figures!)

ZeonPeon
November 5, 2010, 11:08 PM
What is with all the 1st grades? Nice workplace though man. I use my floor. :P

Skittles
November 5, 2010, 11:42 PM

If you've aimed that at me, the blue NG GINN is a paint-test, and the Virtue is (one of?) the first kit(s) that I ever built -- I keep meaning to spiff him up a bit, but for now he's just sort of on guard-duty.

ZeonPeon
November 6, 2010, 12:15 AM

If you've aimed that at me, the blue NG GINN is a paint-test, and the Virtue is (one of?) the first kit(s) that I ever built -- I keep meaning to spiff him up a bit, but for now he's just sort of on guard-duty.

I was not aiming it at an offense if taken that way, sorry man. :) Just wanted to know if you had some HG or anything. They are still cool kits, I mean, I love my Blaze Zaku Phantom, just wondering is all mate. :D I would love to see your spiffed up Virtue if you get to him. :mrgreen:

Skittles
November 6, 2010, 12:22 AM
I was not aiming it at an offense if taken that way, sorry man. :) Just wanted to know if you had some HG or anything. They are still cool kits, I mean, I love my Blaze Zaku Phantom, just wondering is all mate. :D I would love to see your spiffed up Virtue if you get to him. :mrgreen:

*cough* 'Aim' meant the same as 'ask' in that context. So yes, your comment was aimed at me.

There is a HG GINN half-painted towards the right of the photo, and a beautifully detailed, finished HG Dynames to the left.

ZeonPeon
November 6, 2010, 12:35 AM

*cough* 'Aim' meant the same as 'ask' in that context. So yes, your comment was aimed at me.

There is a HG GINN half-painted towards the right of the photo, and a beautifully detailed, finished HG Dynames to the left.

I just did not want you to think I was asking in offense is my point, but I was asking still, so yeah, same thing I guess. :) But I see it, it's nice.

Asterisk
November 6, 2010, 7:04 AM
a beautifully detailed, finished HG Dynames to the left.

I would love to see a better picture of said Dynames.

Skittles
November 6, 2010, 7:48 AM
a beautifully detailed, finished HG Dynames to the left.

I would love to see a better picture of said Dynames.

[attachment=0:1g5cu7wm]006c9deq.jpg[/attachment:1g5cu7wm]

I only painted things that were the wrong color, and left the gun alone since he won't be posed with it most of the time (ah, and now that I post him for others to look at, I see a couple things that need touching up!)... Perhaps someday if I invest in an airbrush, I won't mind painting white plastic white, but right now I'm just starting to do the little details. :)

Asterisk
November 6, 2010, 8:29 AM
Believe it or not, that's primarily with I do with my high grades. Occasionally, one will get a full custom paintjob, but I usually reserve that for master grades.

Also, here's mine. Forgive the flash washout. It's dark in here and my wife's in bed, so lights stay off.
[attachment=0:3ghtkquc]rsz_1sam_0002.jpg[/attachment:3ghtkquc]

GNzaku0023
November 7, 2010, 10:54 PM
Man, I really want one of those kits. I loved my 1/100 NG Exia, so I'm holding 1/100 NG 00 Kits to a high standard. Dynames/Cheridum will probably be my next 00 purchase.

Skittles
November 7, 2010, 11:13 PM
Believe it or not, that's primarily with I do with my high grades. Occasionally, one will get a full custom paintjob, but I usually reserve that for master grades.

Also, here's mine. Forgive the flash washout. It's dark in here and my wife's in bed, so lights stay off.

Looks good! Looks like you did a lighter shade of grey than I did, but just trying to figure out what colors went where was so frustrating -- the pictures in the instructions just did not show everything!

Man, I really want one of those kits. I loved my 1/100 NG Exia, so I'm holding 1/100 NG 00 Kits to a high standard. Dynames/Cheridum will probably be my next 00 purchase.

Someday I'll get the 1/100 Dynames. And Cherudims, too, likely. I'm quite fond of that whole development line. I have the HG 1/144 Cherudim Jumble-o-Letters waiting to be built (and FG Dynames and FA Cherudim - like I said, I like the line).

SilverFrameAstray
November 8, 2010, 12:28 AM
Beautiful Dynames guys! >3<. I want to get cherudim though. That one sided v-fin is so catching.

Zeta-G
November 8, 2010, 12:31 AM
The Dynames always was a fine looking suit; good job. Now if only Bandai would make a MG of it...

Asterisk
November 8, 2010, 6:43 AM
Looks like you did a lighter shade of grey than I did.

Testors: Gunship Grey
Games Workshop: Codex Grey
Privateer Press: Iron Hull Grey.
They matche the color of standard Bandai grey polycaps PERFECTLY.

Skittles
November 8, 2010, 8:13 AM
Testors: Gunship Grey
Games Workshop: Codex Grey
Privateer Press: Iron Hull Grey.
They matche the color of standard Bandai grey polycaps PERFECTLY.

Good to know! I went with Tamiya's XF-63 'German Grey' which is closer to the color of the joints/gun. The hobby stores around here generally have a pretty awful selection of Testors/Tamiya stuff... I need to take a road trip into the city one of these days to stock up on essentials (and fun, weird colors - I still need a neon green that won't fight me like Tamiya's has been).

Asterisk
November 8, 2010, 4:05 PM
I got really lucky with my paint, actually. There was a hobby shop on one end of one of the two roads that makes up my town. After getting back into Gunpla for the first time since I've been an adult, I wandered in in search of paint. Making conversation, the owner asked what I was working on, and (this was extremely narrow minded of me, admittedly) being a middle-aged black guy, I asked "Ever hear of something called Gundam?" expecting him to be clueless.

To my surprise, he was at least as into Gunpla as I am when he was younger, stationed in Japan during his time in the Navy.
We ended up becoming fast friends, and I would end up becoming a regular of his shop and eventually, a part time employee. Well, sadly the place went out of business May of last year. As his thanks for being his friend, sharing all of my work with him and so forth, he told me to go through the paints, and take a bottle of every color he had.

He ultimately gave me over $300 worth of paint. In return, I gave him what was my prized possession, and finest work at the time; my Master Grade Wing Zero. To this day, it's the centerpiece of his display shelf at his house.

[attachment=2:285fy1tr]rsz_sam_0001.jpg[/attachment:285fy1tr]
[attachment=1:285fy1tr]rsz_sam_0002.jpg[/attachment:285fy1tr]

This is my workplace for the time being. I'm still trying to establish something with more space, as you can see its very cluttered.
[attachment=0:285fy1tr]rsz_sam_0003.jpg[/attachment:285fy1tr]

GNzaku0023
November 8, 2010, 7:56 PM
It's not even funny how much paint you have. And I see what you did there....mmmm that deathscythe hell custom. Want to see more pics of that later.

Skittles
November 8, 2010, 9:00 PM
As his thanks for being his friend, sharing all of my work with him and so forth, he told me to go through the paints, and take a bottle of every color he had.

He ultimately gave me over $300 worth of paint. In return, I gave him what was my prized possession, and finest work at the time; my Master Grade Wing Zero. To this day, it's the centerpiece of his display shelf at his house.

This is my workplace for the time being. I'm still trying to establish something with more space, as you can see its very cluttered.

That's just an awesome story! I've probably got 50 bottles floating around, but at least fifteen of them are shades of grey that I had gotten a few years ago for another project. And also part of why I randomly repaint things (like my poor GINNs) - I have so much paint and might as well use it... I've only had one bottle completely die on me.

I see a Zero in there. :D Are you planning on picking up any of the new Rockman kits that are just coming out in Japan?

SilverFrameAstray
November 8, 2010, 10:21 PM
Haha, I love seeing that Red Frame Astray box in the background and going "I have that same one".

Given I just finished Silver Frame today. It's a love/hate relationship this 1/144.

Asterisk
November 9, 2010, 6:44 AM
It's not even funny how much paint you have. And I see what you did there....mmmm that deathscythe hell custom. Want to see more pics of that later.
Deathscythe Guilty, from a side story called Tiel's Impulse.

Haha, I love seeing that Red Frame Astray box in the background and going "I have that same one".

Given I just finished Silver Frame today. It's a love/hate relationship this 1/144.
I had the Blue Frame too, but it took a devastating fall some time ago. I've since given it's white chestpiece to the Red Frame. Sexy, sexy red frame.
I also have all 3 of the 1/144 Frames, they're just sitting in a box until I get about getting some better shelving.

I see a Zero in there. :D Are you planning on picking up any of the new Rockman kits that are just coming out in Japan?
I have a couple models of X as well, and a Black Armor Zero I've been working on here and there. But Kotobukiya's Rockman kits? Want. So. Much.

SilverFrameAstray
November 9, 2010, 1:28 PM
I want to end up getting amatsu. GSAM doesn't have any more, and good G.O.D. I hate amazon. I'm getting a God Gundam next though, then I'm definintely getting my Amatsu.