PDA

View Full Version : Model Building Horror Stories

ChapelMkII
November 14, 2012, 3:44 AM
I know we've all got them, whether it be a rookie mistake or comedy of errors, at some point we've made a terrible choice during a build and you end up feeling the burn of those consequences later. I actually just made a nasty one myself, so I figured I'd share so that I can move on and start laughing about it sooner rather than later.

I'm restoring my MG Qubeley and right now I'm in the process of stripping the old paint from the kit (HUGE thanks btw to those who contributed to the thread about it earlier this week), and much to my elation, the paint was coming off fairly easy. In my haste to preserve the alcohol and keep the soaking parts in good condition though, I very stupidly grabbed all the funnel bits at once when I went to clean them off. Sure enough, I turn on the water, and two funnels go straight down the drain. And to add insult to injury, the drain plug I had set aside for this very reason was still to my immediate left:???:

jayhat100
November 26, 2012, 10:46 PM
I'm good at losing parts, my sinanju is missing a pipe on the forarm and my mg The O is missing a finger. I also sneezed while i was cleaning my airbrush and shot thinner all over a fresh set of painted parts. God i love this hobby.

thwalker13
November 27, 2012, 12:28 AM
I guess my worst horror story, other than broken parts, was my recent screw up with my 00 Raiser. In which I stupidly placed the decals onto the wrong side of the side binder of the 0 Raiser.

Dlinker
November 27, 2012, 1:54 AM
I have two horror stories. First one is when I built my first HG kit, which is the Age-1 Normal. I was tense during the whole process of cutting the parts off the runners and it became too much when I was de-nubbing. I was too eager, too excited, too impatient, and too anxious during the whole thing. I got to the point where I was removing nubs off of the parts for the legs when the stress and tension got me really sick. I was bed-ridden for three days with the occasional urge to vomit and constant pain from just breathing. When I got better, I was so scared that it would happen again that I didn't work on the kit again until a week later.

Second horror story is when I was washing the parts for my HG Qan[T]. I lost the clear part for the head jewel and one of the arms somewhere between washing and pouring the parts through a strainer. My only hunch is that those clear parts stuck to the container I was washing them in and I didn't see them when I rinsed it a second time to prepare for the other batch of parts. Down the drain they went without me ever noticing. I had to buy a second kit to get replacements, which was rather affordable, luckily. It ended well at least, since I put in a request for their replacements back when GGInfinite was still taking orders. They arrived two months after I completed the kit so now I have a second one that I can do a custom paint job on.

Squee
November 27, 2012, 3:19 AM
Mistakes help you learn.:D

Dropped a thruster in straight industrial lacquer thinner. It ate into it in seconds. Recently i spilled thinner right on the top of a kit that was getting top coated. Ate through to the base coat. Since it was all glued already, i had to make a cape around the body to respray the head.

I absolutely hate when i think i have a part secured in a clip for painting and as i'm painting it flys off the clip.

When working with metal parts, i lose at least 1 for ever 10 i put in place. My floor is dark tile w/ dark grout so once it hits the floor, it's pretty much gone. :/

For some reason, whenever i work with resin, i always end up dropping pieces. Much more likely to break than plastic :/ One time i was showing some visiting family the shield to my fss yen xing. I was testing colors and wanted opinions. I was walking all over my house with it no problem. I bring it out to show them... tip snaps off. :-x

I will never use Krylon acrylic topcoat again. It reacted badly with some waterslide decals and they all fogged up. Learned that you can somewhat fix it by brushing rubbing alcohol onto the fogged parts but it still ruined a decent finish. :/

ChapelMkII
November 27, 2012, 11:27 AM
And here I was beginning to think this thread was dead. Thank you all for sharing :D

I've got two more, but one I actually found pretty friggin' hilarious. One of my first HGUC kits was Char's Z'gok, and up until that point I had been simply snapping parts off from the sprues. Well, this time I felt I should get more serious about the presentation and decided to cut them off. Couldn't find any wire snips in the old man's toolbox, so I went and grabbed an x-acto knife and just started carefully cutting away at the parts. Things were going well, until about halfway through when my blade suddenly got stuck mid-cut. Not wanting to remove the blade and make an uneven cut, I very stupidly tried to strong-arm my way through the rest of it. Dunno exactly how it happened, but the knife actually popped itself free of the runner AND my hands, and before I could figure out where it was going, the knife landed point-first onto (and into) the top of my left foot. It only went about half centimeter in, but the fact that it stayed upright when I pulled it free just had me laughing at the stupidity of the whole thing.

The other story is the sole reason why I refuse to Gundam Markers anymore (aside from the pink I use for mono-eyes), and my first harsh lesson in proper paint removal. As a late Christmas gift, my parents bought me the MG Nu Gundam when it came out. I spent a week building and painting the thing, and the model was pretty much done in my book. The armor plates on the left arm were already painted, and all I had to do was detail the elbow joint, put on the panels, and the kit would be complete. I grabbed my "Gundam Gray" pen, shook it up, pressed the nib to the elbow joint, and watched in terror as the entirety of the marker's remaining paint spilled out all over the elbow. After cleaning up the mess on the table, I turned my attention to the model itself. The marker paint had dried blotchy and thick, so I decided to strip the paint and start over. This being younger, dumber me, I didn't have adequate supplies, so I didn't have proper paint thinners or sanding films, so I went with the one thing I had at the time I knew would work:

Nail Polish Remover

... Those of you who have made this mistake know what happens next. I started freaking out as I watched the ABS plastic crumble apart, destroying the entirety of the elbow joint as well as the connection points to the bicep and forearm. I had to look at that armless model for almost 3 months as I waited for HLJ to send replacement runners to rebuild the left arm, and since I used a different paint on the new arm, the color mismatch annoyed the piss out of me for years... There's a Ver.Ka Nu in my future somewhere to make up for this, I'm sure of it, lol.

Deathscythe!
November 27, 2012, 1:12 PM
And here I was beginning to think this thread was dead. Thank you all for sharing :D

I've got two more, but one I actually found pretty friggin' hilarious. One of my first HGUC kits was Char's Z'gok, and up until that point I had been simply snapping parts off from the sprues. Well, this time I felt I should get more serious about the presentation and decided to cut them off. Couldn't find any wire snips in the old man's toolbox, so I went and grabbed an x-acto knife and just started carefully cutting away at the parts. Things were going well, until about halfway through when my blade suddenly got stuck mid-cut. Not wanting to remove the blade and make an uneven cut, I very stupidly tried to strong-arm my way through the rest of it. Dunno exactly how it happened, but the knife actually popped itself free of the runner AND my hands, and before I could figure out where it was going, the knife landed point-first onto (and into) the top of my left foot. It only went about half centimeter in, but the fact that it stayed upright when I pulled it free just had me laughing at the stupidity of the whole thing.

The other story is the sole reason why I refuse to Gundam Markers anymore (aside from the pink I use for mono-eyes), and my first harsh lesson in proper paint removal. As a late Christmas gift, my parents bought me the MG Nu Gundam when it came out. I spent a week building and painting the thing, and the model was pretty much done in my book. The armor plates on the left arm were already painted, and all I had to do was detail the elbow joint, put on the panels, and the kit would be complete. I grabbed my "Gundam Gray" pen, shook it up, pressed the nib to the elbow joint, and watched in terror as the entirety of the marker's remaining paint spilled out all over the elbow. After cleaning up the mess on the table, I turned my attention to the model itself. The marker paint had dried blotchy and thick, so I decided to strip the paint and start over. This being younger, dumber me, I didn't have adequate supplies, so I didn't have proper paint thinners or sanding films, so I went with the one thing I had at the time I knew would work:

Nail Polish Remover

... Those of you who have made this mistake know what happens next. I started freaking out as I watched the ABS plastic crumble apart, destroying the entirety of the elbow joint as well as the connection points to the bicep and forearm. I had to look at that armless model for almost 3 months as I waited for HLJ to send replacement runners to rebuild the left arm, and since I used a different paint on the new arm, the color mismatch annoyed the piss out of me for years... There's a Ver.Ka Nu in my future somewhere to make up for this, I'm sure of it, lol.

Applying nail polish remover devastated its arm ?
Glad to be aware of what for me not to use.

Do I understand properly?
You'd assembled the kit when you attempted to paint its arm?

Why?

ChapelMkII
November 27, 2012, 1:47 PM
Deathscythe, refer to my current WiP, since it's basically the same as what I did in the past, only more controlled and planned out. I basically build and paint the skeleton as large pieces, and while paint's drying I work on the plating. Kinda A.D.D. Like that.

Jfl0
November 27, 2012, 6:07 PM
Hmmm. In regards to Gunpla, the worst I have done is lose parts. D-Hell's shin guard (cat took it somewhere; to his stash >.>) or put stuff on incorrectly/backwards. On other non-gundam kits I have fudged paint jobs and glued things on incorrectly in the past. Paint job problems mostly fixed when I moved to the more accurate airbrush. Occasionally I will spill water across the work surface, and I have spilled cement before. That was a smelly affair cleaning it up (fan on and RUN!).