PDA

View Full Version : Is there a good way to go about taking apart and re-building an old model?

ChapelMkII
November 12, 2012, 12:00 AM
With my Master Gundam finished, a lot of my older kits just don't look right on the shelf any more. I've been thinking about going back and restoring some of them, especially since most of them were painted quite terribly. At the very least, I'd like to be able to strip the paint on them and start over, but I know some spots would require me to take apart the model. Is there any good way to separate the pieces without breaking the pegs?

Also, what would be the best way to strip the paint? I was using *shudder* Liquitex acrylic paints to paint my models originally, and they left a lot of streaks and build up that would make sanding evenly a bit of a pain. :???:

Kenico
November 12, 2012, 12:32 AM
Well what i do is use a modlers knife or a something with a very VERY narrow blade and use it to carefully nudge it apart more thand try and pull it apart. thats one suggestion. i did that on a master grade for a friend and i did that on about 3 of my HGs already and they turned out well...

V0LTES-V01
November 13, 2012, 12:08 AM
Well what i do is use a modlers knife or a something with a very VERY narrow blade and use it to carefully nudge it apart more thand try and pull it apart. thats one suggestion. i did that on a master grade for a friend and i did that on about 3 of my HGs already and they turned out well...

An excellent suggestion. I also use the same method.

In regards to the paint issue, acrylic can easily be dissolved by isopropyl alcohol (basic first aid antiseptic).

ChapelMkII
November 13, 2012, 9:07 AM
Okay, cool. I had been considering that route, but after an incident with nail polish remover a long time ago, I wasn't sure or not if it would be a safe option. It shouldn't affect any of the polycaps either, right?

ratfacedudeguy
November 13, 2012, 11:22 AM
Nail polish remover is acetone, which is very different from isopropyl alcohol. Acetone will certainly eat away at plastic, but alcohol is safe to use. Your polycaps will be safe as well, so no worries there.

ChapelMkII
November 13, 2012, 11:41 AM
Awesome! One of my biggest regrets with my old Gunplas was painting this one the way I did, so it's great to know I could have a second chance to do this right.

Deathscythe!
November 13, 2012, 1:26 PM
Heheheh, having distressed my parents' eau de cologne recently, I'm justifiyingly recommending using eau de cologne.

They'd smell good afterwards.

(Y)

Jfl0
November 13, 2012, 4:02 PM
This is a perplexing question that has many facets: and it depends on how you built the model.

I have heard of plastic wedges being able to take parts apart. I use an old membership card to do it. Prior to assembly, I usually cut a small 45 degree angle in the peg to make it fit together easier. I look for fit problems, but Bandai has a good track record when it comes to fit.

As for me? I'm screwed. I cement, fill seam lines, etc. It would be difficult for me to go back and paint again without making it a PITA.

Focke Wulf
December 3, 2012, 10:43 PM
Use Simple Green to strip paint. Works on metal, plastic AND resin! I use it all the time.

Squee
December 4, 2012, 1:55 AM
Soak the parts in 90% rubbing alcohol overnight. Then just scrub them with a toothbrush. Even lacquer will come up. Then leave the parts alone for a day.

With most strippers, the plastic can weaken right after so it's best to let them air dry for a day or two.